Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: What Would It Take To Come Back?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: What Would It Take To Come Back?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Nick, have you been drinking some of my Kool-Aid recently?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    6) No slumps by Plouffe, Mauer, Willingham etc AND Morneau has to start producing at an respectable level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The SP will have to go 6 strongs Innings. Twins come out and win 10 in a row and then do it again later. Key pitching,good defense and timely hitter can do it.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7) Verlander pitches every game like he did tonight, the entire Indians squad gets a bad case of the flu for a month, the Royals lose their three best players for using PEDs, and the White Sox all have whiplash from a bus accident.

8) at least three Twins pitchers get bitten by the same radioactive spider that bit Plouffe.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    7) Verlander pitches every game like he did tonight, the entire Indians squad gets a bad case of the flu for a month, the Royals lose their three best players for using PEDs, and the White Sox all have whiplash from a bus accident.

8) at least three Twins pitchers get bitten by the same radioactive spider that bit Plouffe.
    I was gonna add a 9th but I just couldn't top that. That was brilliant sir.

Nick needs to be introduced to reality! The Twins have been the WORST team in the AL since September 2010 and have shown no signs of improvement. I take it this is your first year following the club?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No injuries! So far this year we have been very lucky not to have a position player go down - and we're still 11 games back! Imagine if Mauer or Willingham or Span or Revere were down for 6 weeks.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 305 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    as bad as the central is, they'd need their starters to suddenly look like good starters and for Morneau to hit like he did in May. Though that said, they should be selling.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    and have shown no signs of improvement.
    You must not have been watching this team for the last month or so. I would call an entire month playing above 500 ball a sign of improvement.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Nick needs to be introduced to reality! The Twins have been the WORST team in the AL since September 2010 and have shown no signs of improvement. I take it this is your first year following the club?
    Good thing you heeded his suggestion of no "it isn't going to happen" responses.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 49 Posts
    I was going to say "You're out of your gourd, Nick"... but that's been disallowed.

So instead... remember that historically improbable run in 2006? The Twins could get right back in it with another one! All it'll take is to make the 2006 Twins look like the 2003 Tigers!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You must not have been watching this team for the last month or so. I would call an entire month playing above 500 ball a sign of improvement.
    No, they're still terrible. Playing winning ball only means they're playing winning ball. That's not how you succeed in this league.

*head explodes*

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Playing winning ball only means they're playing winning ball. That's not how you succeed in this league.
    That is a real paradox my friend... The word "improvement" means getting better. I would consider the last month as a positive for the Twins, and reason for optimism.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Playing winning ball only means they're playing winning ball. That's not how you succeed in this league.
    I guess I need this clarified as to what your point is. I would have said that winning is the definition of success.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    That is a real paradox my friend... The word "improvement" means getting better. I would consider the last month as a positive for the Twins, and reason for optimism.
    You're getting a bad case of VD buddy. And not the usual kind.....

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, it's pretty obvious that the team is improving. These are the cost-controlled guys that have been driving the team for the past 4-6 weeks:

Mauer
    Plouffe
    Diamond
    Perkins
    Burton
    Revere
    Willingham
    Span
    Burnett
    Doumit
    Duensing

All of those guys are locked up through 2014, if I'm not mistaken. That's half the 25 man roster.

This team is far from "good" but it's obvious that they have something brewing that could form into a decent team with the right acquisitions. No one of importance outside of Liriano is going to be lost after this season. That's one guy. One guy. Everybody else has been ineffective or injured.

Two starting pitchers (one for Span, one FA) with Gibson returning to form and this team is suddenly an AL contender. It's a bit of a stretch to expect everything to slot in perfectly but after the past two seasons being decimated by injury, it's about damned time the Twins got a break.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You lowballed your own point...it's been two months. Man that first month+ hurts more every day!

Agree with the previously made point: I think one of the bigger requirements is Morneau improving even half-way from where he's been to where he "should" be.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Tommorow Nick is going to lay out how to get struck by lightning at the exact time you sank your 2nd hole in one of the round. And tune in Friday for a breakdown of which Victoria's Secret model is going to ask me to marry them!!

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Two starting pitchers (one for Span, one FA) with Gibson returning to form and this team is suddenly an AL contender. It's a bit of a stretch to expect everything to slot in perfectly but after the past two seasons being decimated by injury, it's about damned time the Twins got a break.
    Well if we address one of the starter spots with trading Span than it takes him off the team control list. Nit-picky but worth noting that we would have a corner outfield spot to fill. But, to be honest, I'd much rather see us shop Willingham than Span. If you can get a similar package for Hammer as Span, it would make much more long-term sense for the team. And at this pace, I think Hammer's value is about as high as it will ever be at the end of this month.

These next few months are going to tell a lot about what hopes we can have going forward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast