Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Washington Nationals

  1. #1
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    996
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    201

    Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Washington Nationals

    @OverTheBaggy

  2. #2
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,510
    Like
    2,348
    Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Carroll and Capps for Wort?

  3. #3
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Parker, your write-up for Bernadina was stellar. Succinct, accurate, and totally honest.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,419
    Like
    167
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    this makes me glad Bill Smith was fired.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    With the innings limit on Strasburg it is very possible they will need another starting pitcher, I wonder if they would be interested in Liriano.

    One player I wouldn't mind targeting would be Alex Meyer, maybe an outright swap of Liriano for Meyer would get it done? I also wouldn't mind them going after Lombardozzi eventually as well, once Rendon is ready he will be out of a position, and though I'm not sure he is a great starter, he would be a nice stop gap on the Twins at 2B (or SS if Dozier can't hack it)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Parker,

    Roger Bernadina was a throw in. The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi. I was happy the trade was not made at the time but not because the Twins could of gotten more for Span. I was unhappy because I wanted to see Revere playing everyday in CF where he is most valuable.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    235
    Like
    11
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    A closer, a late-relief pitcher, a big and strong 3rd basemen, a journeyman outfielder? Yes, that is what the twins need. I hope very much that none of these things happen. These types of moves would make me very sad for our future.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    A closer, a late-relief pitcher, a big and strong 3rd basemen, a journeyman outfielder? Yes, that is what the twins need. I hope very much that none of these things happen. These types of moves would make me very sad for our future.
    I would take Skole in a heart beat, the guy has some pretty awesome power and his bat could even potentially play at first base, and just because Plouffe has had a nice half at third base we shouldn't all of a sudden limit our options there. Besides, Skole is prob at least 1.5 years away at this point anyways.

  9. #9
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,629
    Like
    850
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi. I was happy the trade was not made at the time but not because the Twins could of gotten more for Span.
    would have

    could have


    Sorry, but that drives me ****ing nuts.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    235
    Like
    11
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I would take Skole in a heart beat, the guy has some pretty awesome power and his bat could even potentially play at first base, and just because Plouffe has had a nice half at third base we shouldn't all of a sudden limit our options there. Besides, Skole is prob at least 1.5 years away at this point anyways.
    I must admit that I know nothing about Skole. These days I am suffering from starting-pitching tunnel vision so it hurts my logical thought. If Skole has solid future value then to get that for players who will not be part of the twins future is good. If nothing else it would increase our trade position for pitching down the road.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    I must admit that I know nothing about Skole. These days I am suffering from starting-pitching tunnel vision so it hurts my logical thought. If Skole has solid future value then to get that for players who will not be part of the twins future is good. If nothing else it would increase our trade position for pitching down the road.
    Much like the draft, in a trade you really should take the best prospect available. Give me a high upside bat over a #4/#5 potential starter any day.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    235
    Like
    11
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Much like the draft, in a trade you really should take the best prospect available. Give me a high upside bat over a #4/#5 potential starter any day.
    That seems like kind of a broad brushstroke. At what point will you address need?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,419
    Like
    167
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Much like the draft, in a trade you really should take the best prospect available. Give me a high upside bat over a #4/#5 potential starter any day.
    I agree to a point, but to be fair, at one point you have to consider organizational need. Otherwise you end up with a rotation that is fronted by Nick Blackburn and a bunch of AAA guys.

  14. #14
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    996
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    201
    One player I wouldn't mind targeting would be Alex Meyer, maybe an outright swap of Liriano for Meyer would get it done?
    Meyer is one of their better prospect right now but, unfortunately, after being drafted in 2011, he was not signed until August - which means he cannot be outright traded this trade deadline. He would need to be a Player To Be Named Later.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I agree to a point, but to be fair, at one point you have to consider organizational need. Otherwise you end up with a rotation that is fronted by Nick Blackburn and a bunch of AAA guys.
    Yeah at some point, but when its a high upside guy like Matt Skole vs a non upside pitcher you go with Matt Skole 10 times out of 10. I'm really not interested in trading for any pitcher that doesn't have at least a #2 starter upside. We have plenty of guys who can man the #4/#5 and probably even the #3 spots moving forward in Gibson, Diamond and one of Hendriks/Walters/Blackburn/etc

  16. #16
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,546
    Like
    85
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25
    I think the Twins will get Lombardozzi at some point in the next 12.5 months. He's actually a pretty good stopgap, who could make Casilla and Carroll obselete. The point, though, is pitching. They would have to get Lombardozzi in addition to an arm.

  17. #17
    Yes let's trade Span for a guy who's ceiling is utility player (read Lombardozzi )...

  18. #18
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    996
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Roger Bernadina was a throw in. The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi.
    Even as a throw in, Bernadina was a throw away - but the Twins were asking for Bernadina at first (as the reports go) and then shifted to Lombardozzi later on.

  19. #19
    Skole interests me as we are lacking in prospects at 3B and even better if he could transition to 1B. I know we have Harrison and Sano, but you can never have enough corner, power bats in the system. I would also prefer a high end pitcher or a nice middle infielder, but Skole would be a decent consolation prize.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg4949 View Post
    Yes let's trade Span for a guy who's ceiling is utility player (read Lombardozzi )...
    Nobody is saying that... people are saying Lombardozzi would be a nice 2nd or 3rd piece of a trade with the Twins. Sorta like when we traded Milton and got back Silva and Punto.

    Lombardozzi FWIW would have some value on this team, it would allow the Twins to trade away Caroll and DFA Casilla (saving a total of 3-4 mil or so between the two) and he would be an instant upgrade at 2B.

    Also I'm not sure why his ceiling is a utility player?
    He had a .780 OPS in the minors including an .842 OPS in AA. No reason why he couldn't easily post a .740-.760 OPS (if not higher down the road) at 2nd base, which would make him a pretty viable option for a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.