Thread: This is what happens when people try to make prospect lists of every team...

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is what happens when people try to make prospect lists of every team...

...in the majors, without really having a clue:

La Velle posted the Twins' top 21 prospect list from Scouting Book. I am just linking to it without comment, other than someone, before making such a list, should at least check: a. whether someone in the list is still in the organization and b. whether someone on the list had a set-back or 2 from 2011, when he was ranked high

Enjoy
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even if Shooter Hunt WAS still with the Twins, he wouldn't be a top 25 prospect.

That list is the product of some automated process that's at the mercy of infrequent data updates. Here's a quote from the site:

As a side-effect of our automated processes, the end of the publicly-visible list also collects longshots, recently-retired players, foreign players unlikely to enter MLB, near-busts and other extreme dark-horse candidates. It does not mean that there are not 'better' prospects, only that better prospects in our system lack enough accurate data and/or scouting inputs to become visible at this time.
    A disclaimer like that tells me not to waste a lot of time at that site; after all, the developers couldn't be bothered to. Either fix the formula, refresh the player info more often or shorten the lists to where they start becoming accurate. But lobbing a "yeah, it might not be real good" on there is not much different from letting weak content stand. By the way, it not just freshness that's an issue here: Alex Wimmers was "seemed a little wild at high-A Fort Myers last year".

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bates, Hoey, this is a strange list!!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    ...in the majors, without really having a clue:

La Velle posted the Twins' top 21 prospect list from Scouting Book. I am just linking to it without comment, other than someone, before making such a list, should at least check: a. whether someone in the list is still in the organization and b. whether someone on the list had a set-back or 2 from 2011, when he was ranked high

Enjoy
    Good lord that is ridiculous!! How are there such mistakes? I mean just a modicum of research would point to what 6 or so of those guys being nowhere near the Twins prospect list.
    Last edited by Shane Wahl; 02-22-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: 6 not 4

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Bates, Hoey, this is a strange list!!
    He also lists Shooter Hunt
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This might be a dead thread, but apparently the site has updated itself. No Hunt or Hoey. But there is a youngster named Felix Jorge, who I've never heard of. Any insight?

The Twins signed Felix Jorge a year ago as a 17-year-old from the D.R. (for around $250,000). He pitched all of last season with the DSL Twins and went 2-1 with a 2.67 ERA in nine games (five starts). He also had a solid 26 strikeouts in his 27 innings of work. He throws in the low-90s but is said to have a good "feel" for his secondary pitches and many think he'll add velocity as he gets older. A solid sleeper pick, but I certainly would be hesitant to put him on any top 20 lists just yet... but then again, we all view prospects differently.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I didn't have an issue with Felix Jorge being on the list... Like Josh said though, I wouldn't have him in a Twins Top 50... yet. He is in my Top 5 DSL Twins prospects in the Twins Prospect Handbook this year.