Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Benson back to New Britain

  1. #1
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,468
    Like
    186
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

    Benson back to New Britain

    Surprised and excited to see that Joe Benson is back at New Britain and has started out 2-3 with a double. Benson has always been one of my favorites and it appears he has recovered from his injury. He's hitting well, so he might be back at Rochester soon. Benson has played in the GCL, for the Miracle in the Florida State League, for the Rock Cats in New Britain and for Rochester. If he returns to form, perhaps he can play at five levels this year.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,566
    Like
    18
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'd say its a pretty good chance he ends the year with the Twins. The only question is when he'll be up and how much he'll be playing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,711
    Like
    8
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Barring injury, I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get another shot in September. It will be a guarantee if Span is traded.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'd say its a pretty good chance he ends the year with the Twins. The only question is when he'll be up and how much he'll be playing.
    Really? I think after his struggles, he's moved behind Hicks, who *should* make the 40 man if/when some guys are traded.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    126
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry, RPG, I misread. If Benson outperforms Hicks (with whom the Twins are clearly being deliberate) why add Hicks to the 40 man roster until after the season?

  6. #6
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Good news. It won't be great news until he is succeeding at AAA and the MLB level, which I expect no later than next year.
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Sorry, RPG, I misread. If Benson outperforms Hicks (with whom the Twins are clearly being deliberate) why add Hicks to the 40 man roster until after the season?
    I suppose the team could wait until the offseason to add Hicks but considering how there should be open spots after some guys are traded, it's possible they might do it earlier.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Accompanying transactions: Evan Bigley promoted to Rochester, Michael Holliman put on the DL.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,566
    Like
    18
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hicks has had over a month of success now, but Benson has destroyed AA already with sustained success. Plus the 40 man thing and service time blah. I just think Benson still gets first crack at it.

  10. #10
    hicks, arcia & benson will all be up in sept

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    I'm sure right now the Rochester fans are ripping the organization (as usual) for letting New Britain have the more exciting outfield. Hicks turnaround nearly coincided with Arcia's callup, hopefully Benson joins the motivation party.

  12. #12
    tosoni will probably get a wk in ft myers & then back to new brit....my prediction is chris herrmann goes to roc then with an of gettin cut

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,245
    Like
    376
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    kind of surprised they didn't ride the hot streak and put him back in Rochester... I'm guessing that injury was a bigger deal that what everyone was letting on.

  14. #14
    I am excited to see what Bigley does in AAA. The Twins may find themselves turning over their outfield sooner rather than later with Bigley at AAA, and Benson, Hicks and Arcia at AA. I would love to see all four battling for a spot next spring and at AAA for those who dont' make it.

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,515
    Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    I still can't shake the feeling that Benson is the Twins best minor league OFer. Glad to see he's playing, and playing well, again.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,906
    Like
    75
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper0080 View Post
    I am excited to see what Bigley does in AAA. The Twins may find themselves turning over their outfield sooner rather than later with Bigley at AAA, and Benson, Hicks and Arcia at AA. I would love to see all four battling for a spot next spring and at AAA for those who dont' make it.
    I wouldn't get too excited about Evan Bigley, the guy has basically been a non prospect who only now has shown decent HR power at AA his third time in the league at age 25. Even with the HR "surge" his OPS is far to low at AA this year (.755) for a corner OF to get real excited about him being anything more than organizational filler down the road.

    I mean I hope he continues to impress, I'm just not holding my breath.

    However Benson, Hicks and Arcia should all be knocking on the door at some point in 2013, some even earlier hopefully.

  17. #17
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Hicks has had over a month of success now
    To be fair, he's had 2 1/2 months of success. He had a bad May and that's the only real blemish on his season. His April and June were good and so far, his July has been outstanding.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,711
    Like
    8
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about Evan Bigley, the guy has basically been a non prospect who only now has shown decent HR power at AA his third time in the league at age 25. Even with the HR "surge" his OPS is far to low at AA this year (.755) for a corner OF to get real excited about him being anything more than organizational filler down the road.

    I mean I hope he continues to impress, I'm just not holding my breath.

    However Benson, Hicks and Arcia should all be knocking on the door at some point in 2013, some even earlier hopefully.
    Probably true, but people in the organization (ie Molitor) have been talking up Bigley for at least a couple of years. He won't be a star, probably not even a regular, but might be able to carve out a role for himself on the big league club.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,711
    Like
    8
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I still can't shake the feeling that Benson is the Twins best minor league OFer. Glad to see he's playing, and playing well, again.
    Certainly has the talent to be the best OF in the system and was BA's #2 prospect in the system (after Sano) coming into the season. Nothing out of Benson/Hicks/Arcia good or bad would really surprise me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I'd put Tosoni at AAA when ready, and use him to replace Span when traded (moving Revere to CF, and Tosoni to RF). That way they don't rush Hicks and Arcia (I cannot I believe I just typed that, but they are not 25 in AA like some others....or college pitchers in rookie ball.....). I think they want Benson to get his confidence super high, before moving him again. Maybe they just want to move Hicks, Arcia, and Benson together. Who can understand the mind of the Twins' brass?
    Lighten up Francis....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.