6. Marlins

Round B

1. Padres
    2. Indians
    3. Rockies
    4. A’s
    5. Brewers
    6. Tigers

From what I understand, Round A will come after FA compensation picks (after Round 1) and Round B will immediately follow Round 2.

The Rays and Cardinals were eligible for both drafts and came up empty.

The Tigers were only eligible for a pick after Round 2 and got lucky.

These picks can be traded. So if, say, the Pirates offered a decent prospect and their pick for Liriano... you really have to think about it... right?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins weren't involved in either lottery - they aren't one of the 10 smallest markets (I think they're 12th smallest) and they didn't received any revenue sharing last year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    How are Tigers in either category? If they can sign Fielder, plus huge contracts for Verlander, Cabrerra, et al, I can't see why they're eligible. I guess I don't understand the Cardinals either. Even though we have more revenue because of Target Field now, I would think we are still a smaller market than Detroit or St. Louis.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

These picks can be traded. So if, say, the Pirates offered a decent prospect and their pick for Liriano... you really have to think about it... right?
    Yeah, that pick could be a nice addition but it might not be that valuable either. Picks in the 30-40 range aren't locks by any means. The Twins might want to focus on known prospects.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    How are Tigers in either category? If they can sign Fielder, plus huge contracts for Verlander, Cabrerra, et al, I can't see why they're eligible. I guess I don't understand the Cardinals either. Even though we have more revenue because of Target Field now, I would think we are still a smaller market than Detroit or St. Louis.
    They were involved because they received revenue sharing $$$ last year. The Cardinals are involved because they are in the 10 smallest markets. That's only because they must not make enough from their TV deal.

I really forgot about this when the new CBA was announced. When you have teams like the Cardinals and the Tigers, it doesn't really seem like this draft should be called the "competitive balance" draft.

I think the owners and Bud Selig just wanted to see what it would be like to be able to trade draft picks.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    And, just to add to that, 3 teams the Twins could be interested in trading with have tradable picks - Reds, Pirates, Balt (although Balt is probably best served by not doing anything).

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    The Tigers were in only because they received some of the shared revenue. My guess is that their TV deal is lower than most and got money because of that. The money figures are based on last year where their payroll was around $100 million.

I would guess that the Tigers won't be in this lottery again and, in the next couple of years, the Twins will be.

The St. Louis market is a little smaller than the MSP, so they were probably the largest market included. Detroit wasn't in the first lottery cause they are a bigger market.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 07-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, that pick could be a nice addition but it might not be that valuable either. Picks in the 30-40 range aren't locks by any means. The Twins might want to focus on known prospects.
    Jim Callis tweeted earlier that the trade value of these picks would be "high" because teams "covet the money" attached to the picks.

So I think the value of the money is probably higher than the value of the prospect. It allows teams a chance to throw more money at someone (Gioliot? Appel? McCullers?) that is dropping.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Jim Callis tweeted earlier that the trade value of these picks would be "high" because teams "covet the money" attached to the picks.

So I think the value of the money is probably higher than the value of the prospect. It allows teams a chance to throw more money at someone (Gioliot? Appel? McCullers?) that is dropping.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that.