Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins vs. Orioles, 07-19-2012, 12:10pm

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    I try not to bash Gardenhire too much for in-game management but I have to admit that my blood is approaching the boiling point. There isn't a single *good* reason why the Twins weren't using their best relievers in that situation.
    I can hardly wait till they "get in some work" in a one sided game tomorrow.

/speculation

Anywho...this one isn't quite over yet.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    "There isn't a single *good* reason why the Twins weren't using their best relievers in that situation."

You guys do realize pitchers need to warm up before they go in the game, right?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Come on Morneau, get on base so Plouffe/Doumit can get Perkins that almighty save.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Good thing Burton or Perkins weren't on the mound!

Now one of them can't get the save!
    I don't think Perkins is available.

As for the rest of your rant, unless burton is going two innings, Burnett walking two to start the inning is no better in the 9th than the 8th.

The lesson here isn't "which pitcher(s) should be pitching which inning.". The lesson should be that every member of your pen is going to be required to pitch high leverage innings over the course of a season. Thinking "bullpen arms are the easiest thing to find" or "you only need a couple good arms at the back of your pen" as is often stated, is false.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    "There isn't a single *good* reason why the Twins weren't using their best relievers in that situation."

You guys do realize pitchers need to warm up before they go in the game, right?
    Swarzak was warming up. It was a "game on the line" situation. Why wasn't Burton the one warming up?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, no. You're totally misunderstanding me. I'm not asking for something crazy like that, only that it's possible for Gardenhire to use one in the eighth and the other in the ninth.
    What odd game are you speaking of where a closer can pitch before the 9th inning?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins is unavailable today according to StarTribune (and pitched two straight and three of last four days).

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was that a legit hit off a lefty for Morneau or a little flair into right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't think Perkins is available.

As for the rest of your rant, unless burton is going two innings, Burnett walking two to start the inning is no better in the 9th than the 8th.

The lesson here isn't "which pitcher(s) should be pitching which inning.". The lesson should be that every member of your pen is going to be required to pitch high leverage innings over the course of a season. Thinking "bullpen arms are the easiest thing to find" or "you only need a couple good arms at the back of your pen" as is often stated, is false.
    Why can't Burton pitch four outs again? It's not as if he's asked to do it a lot.

And I didn't say to lead off the eighth with your best reliever. That makes even less sense than leading off the ninth with your best reliever.

But in a one run game with two guys on base, why isn't the best reliever out there? It's the "swing moment" of the game and there are only four outs left to get.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BTW if Ploufee can't get this bunt down I can't wait for the post-game where Gardy throws him under the bus for the loss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Was that a legit hit off a lefty for Morneau or a little flair into right?
    Totally legit. Not a screamer but a solid liner to the RF.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    I need Plouffesie to come through here in order to reset my aggravation level.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I need Plouffesie to come through here in order to reset my aggravation level.
    Drink!

Why can't Burton pitch four outs again? It's not as if he's asked to do it a lot.

And I didn't say to lead off the eighth with your best reliever. That makes even less sense than leading off the ninth with your best reliever.

But in a one run game with two guys on base, why isn't the best reliever out there? It's the "swing moment" of the game and there are only four outs left to get.
    They have said all year they are reluctant to use Burton for more than an inning. They spent half a year trying not to even use him on back to back days.

The problem isn't bullpen management. The problem is the relievers not getting the job done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Your best reliever should only pitch the ninth, about 40-45 innings per year. And, you should pay him millions mire than the relievers that pitch more innings, and about half of your hitters....../s
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    They have said all year they are reluctant to use Burton for more than an inning. They spent half a year trying not to even use him on back to back days.

The problem isn't bullpen management. The problem is the relievers not getting the job done.
    I agree that the relievers, particularly Burnett, didn't get it done. I had zero problems opening the eighth with Burnett and he failed to finish the job.

The entirety of my problem comes from there being a runners on base situation and making the call to Swarzak, who is not one of your best relievers. By holding on so dearly to the save statistic, Gardenhire has taken his best pitchers out of the game and now the team will probably lose the game.

Now, instead of managing a bullpen based on need & situation in favor of a statistic, the Orioles are the ones who will be getting that statistic.

Burton has pitched 5 4out ballgames this year, but this one was different because Gardy refuses to use a closer for more than an inning.
    He tried it with Capps last year & it didnt work & will never attempt it again.
    This is the 4th time in the last 13gms that Gardy has overworked Perkins/Burton in games they were behind & were not available for games with the lead & Burnett blew those games....Alex should NEVER pitch in an important gm/inning as he's nothing more than a mop up type guy.

I agree that the relievers, particularly Burnett, didn't get it done. I had zero problems opening the eighth with Burnett and he failed to finish the job.

The entirety of my problem comes from there being a runners on base situation and making the call to Swarzak, who is not one of your best relievers. By holding on so dearly to the save statistic, Gardenhire has taken his best pitchers out of the game and now the team will probably lose the game.

Now, instead of managing a bullpen based on need & situation in favor of a statistic, the Orioles are the ones who will be getting that statistic.
    Fair enough.

Can I also sneak in...Swarzak didn't exactly give up a rocket and spansie probably should have caught that ball?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ESPN Play-by-Play stating that Anthony Swarzak is pitching for Balitmore to start bottom of the 9th. Weirdest trade ever!!!

Blog Entries
    Fair enough.

Can I also sneak in...Swarzak didn't exactly give up a rocket and spansie probably should have caught that ball?
    Span absolutely should have caught that ball. I don't know why he pulled up in that situation. That's a flat-out "all bets are off" situation where you dive for it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast