Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 225

Thread: Is the Affiliation Dance about to begin?

  1. #181
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    An interesting fact about Ft Wayne: that metro area has half a million people. Way more than a typical single A host city and much closer to lots of AA and AAA host cities. (matter of fact, as far as city sizes go, Ft Wayne has more people than Rochester, NY) That is why the attendance.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 09-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #182
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not to mention Fort Wayne's ballpark is one of the best in all the Minors
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  3. #183
    Twins official are expected to visit Cedar Rapids today.

    “We were not disappointed at all about anything with the Angels,” Kernels President Gary Keoppel said Sunday . . . "We determined as a club that this was a good time for us to try and get a Midwest affiliate.

    http://thegazette.com/2012/09/16/ker...n-town-monday/

  4. #184
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    Twins official are expected to visit Cedar Rapids today.

    “We were not disappointed at all about anything with the Angels,” Kernels President Gary Keoppel said Sunday . . . "We determined as a club that this was a good time for us to try and get a Midwest affiliate.

    http://thegazette.com/2012/09/16/ker...n-town-monday/
    Yep. Smith, Rantz and Steil are expected. They'll tour the facilities this afternoon and meet with the Board tonight. If everyone on both sides like what they see and hear, this could move pretty quickly.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  5. #185
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Astros in Fort wayne today
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  6. #186
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Astros in Fort wayne today
    That would be a HUGE 'get' for the Astros if they can pull it off.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  7. #187
    The River Bandits apparently want some assurances that they'll get some MLB Rehab assignments from their next affiliate.

    http://qctimes.com/sports/baseball/p...a4bcf887a.html

    That would seem to make the Twins an unlikely fit, since they like to send everyone down to Fort Myers.The only players they ever seemed to send to Beloit were the guys who were already in the organizational dog house (ie JJ Hardy, Alexi Castilla). I'm sure much of that was facilities, but I don't know if they were any better at it during their previous time in QC.

  8. #188
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    I'm not sure why the Twins send their players to Ft. Myers to rehab, but I think it's more than just the facilities in Beloit because I recall the folks in Rochester expressing dissatisfaction with the Twins for not sending enough guys out east to rehab, as well. I'm sure their staff and training facilities in Ft. Myers are better and most of the bus trips in the Florida State League are under 2 hours long. For us in Cedar Rapids, I just don't think that's a big deal probably because CR hasn't had a nearby affiliate in the 35 years I've been going to games. In fact, you mentioned Alexi Casilla getting a rehab stint with Beloit, but he actually requested that the Twins let him do his rehab with Beloit because they were playing in Cedar Rapids when he was scheduled to rehab and coming back here for a few games was actually a homecoming for him. He played for the Kernels when he was in the Angels organization. Casilla is the only MLB player I can recall ever watching play on a rehab assignment in CR.

    Best of luck to the QC folks getting assurances on MLB rehab assignments. It's not going to happen for the River Bandits unless they sign on with another Midwestern team. If the Cubs go to Kane County and the Cardinals leave QC, that leaves the Twins and Royals. I can't see the Twins promising the QC any kind of rehab quota and the Royals have their AAA team right up the road in Omaha, so good luck getting Royals players showing up any more frequently than the Cardinals have.

    I believe that if you're relying on your MLB affiliate to send you rehab players in order to prop up your attendance, you're not doing your job as a minor league front office. Those should be "frosting on the cake" when and if they happen. Maybe having a 1 hour direct flight between Minneapolis and Cedar Rapids will make a 1-2 game rehab thing more likely here, but I'm not counting on it.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  9. #189
    Interesting - I knew that all of Alexi's rehab games were played in Cedar Rapids, but I never knew that he'd requested them. A very classy touch on his part.

    The Cubs and Brewers are probably the best at sending their prospects to the Midwest League. They both seem to send players down to the Midwest League for a game or two, and then up to their AAA clubs for a final tune up. I think the only rehab in Beloit this year was when Shawn Marcum pitched for the visiting TRats in late August. It seems like the Twins might have sent one or two other guys down during their first couple years in Beloit, although I can't remember who else at this point.

  10. #190
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    170
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know if a parent club needs to send rehab to the low A team. But I think it would be a good move to maybe send a rehab player or 2 to each of your affiliates if possible. I know some would not want to go to Low A but some might.

  11. #191
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by nowheresville View Post
    Interesting - I knew that all of Alexi's rehab games were played in Cedar Rapids, but I never knew that he'd requested them. A very classy touch on his part.
    He not only requested to be sent to CR for his rehab, but my understanding is that he spent the time staying at the home of the family that served as the "house parents" he lived with when he played for the Kernels.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  12. #192
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I'm not sure why the Twins send their players to Ft. Myers to rehab, but I think it's more than just the facilities in Beloit because I recall the folks in Rochester expressing dissatisfaction with the Twins for not sending enough guys out east to rehab, as well. I'm sure their staff and training facilities in Ft. Myers are better and most of the bus trips in the Florida State League are under 2 hours long. For us in Cedar Rapids, I just don't think that's a big deal probably because CR hasn't had a nearby affiliate in the 35 years I've been going to games. In fact, you mentioned Alexi Casilla getting a rehab stint with Beloit, but he actually requested that the Twins let him do his rehab with Beloit because they were playing in Cedar Rapids when he was scheduled to rehab and coming back here for a few games was actually a homecoming for him. He played for the Kernels when he was in the Angels organization. Casilla is the only MLB player I can recall ever watching play on a rehab assignment in CR.

    Best of luck to the QC folks getting assurances on MLB rehab assignments. It's not going to happen for the River Bandits unless they sign on with another Midwestern team. If the Cubs go to Kane County and the Cardinals leave QC, that leaves the Twins and Royals. I can't see the Twins promising the QC any kind of rehab quota and the Royals have their AAA team right up the road in Omaha, so good luck getting Royals players showing up any more frequently than the Cardinals have.

    I believe that if you're relying on your MLB affiliate to send you rehab players in order to prop up your attendance, you're not doing your job as a minor league front office. Those should be "frosting on the cake" when and if they happen. Maybe having a 1 hour direct flight between Minneapolis and Cedar Rapids will make a 1-2 game rehab thing more likely here, but I'm not counting on it.
    Brewers send every rehabber through Appleton (always on a home stand) and Shaun Marcum made a start in Betroit.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  13. #193
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Brewers send every rehabber through Appleton (always on a home stand) and Shaun Marcum made a start in Betroit.
    I can understand that being the case with the Brewers. Their AAA team is in Tennessee, AA in Alabama, High A in Florida. None of them use their Spring Training facility in AZ. But when you look at the nine MLB teams still without affiliations, I don't see any that you'd expect to see sending their rebab players to the Quad Cities. The Cardinals, Twins and Royals would seem to be the teams most likely to do so, yet none have a history of doing so.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  14. #194
    Senior Member Double-A MWLFan's Avatar
    Posts
    193
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    14
    I saw Carlos Silva pitch for Beliot one year, but other then that and a JJ Hardy sighting. Not much else. Hardy played in Beliot also as a Minor Leaguer with the Brewers.

  15. #195
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    More speculation. Going to be a fun week.

    http://www.kgymradio.com/Sprinkling-...field/10336305
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  16. #196
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    More speculation. Going to be a fun week.

    http://www.kgymradio.com/Sprinkling-...field/10336305

    They got San Diego and LAA going from Fort Wayne to Beloit to Burlington. Talking about ups and downs
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  17. #197
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Twins and CR have agreed to a deal. Press conference will be Wednesday.

    I'm told KC is going to Lexington, Ft Wayne was hoping to land the Cardinals but St. Louis wouldn't even talk to them, so Ft Wayne is expected to stick with the Padres.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  18. #198
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,919
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Broken by the great Jim Crikket!!! Nice work!!

  19. #199
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    My wife texted me and asked if I was doing the Happy Dance. I said yes, and it isn't pretty... good thing nobody can see!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  20. #200
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,610
    Like
    802
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Excellent news.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.