Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the Affiliation Dance about to begin?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for the info Jim. We appreciate all of the info you have provided in the last few weeks.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Thanks for the info Jim. We appreciate all of the info you have provided in the last few weeks.
    You're welcome. Then again, some in the local media apparently think I'm just makin' stuff up, so I guess you'll all just have to decide what you believe.

It's been an anxious, but enjoyable, period of time... one I hope I don't have to go through again for at least several years. I do know that I'm already looking forward to next season.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    You're welcome. Then again, some in the local media apparently think I'm just makin' stuff up, so I guess you'll all just have to decide what you believe.

It's been an anxious, but enjoyable, period of time... one I hope I don't have to go through again for at least several years. I do know that I'm already looking forward to next season.
    Lexington is nowhere near being done for the royals, After FW is done, Lexington becomes the top location.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Yeah, but they also think you are a "Twin Cities Blogger" so they only care about the "facts" when its clear they're getting schooled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nowheresville View Post
    Yeah, but they also think you are a "Twin Cities Blogger" so they only care about the "facts" when its clear they're getting schooled.
    In fairness, as a blogger I have an easier time of things than the traditional media. While I'm sure I don't have as many sources as they do, I do have sources both in Minnesota and in Cedar Rapids. In addition, while news media generally needs to get two sources on the record to run a story, I don't. In this case, I needed one source I had a high degree of confidence in, either in Minnesota or Cedar Rapids. That's why I don't consider this any more than it is... a very good bit of news for Twins fans in Iowa.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

I agree witht his sentiment completely. And I am so looking forward to first hand reporting on the progress of Buxton, J. O. Kepler, Polanco, Harrison, Goodrum, Hicks, Walker, Duffey, et al. Should be a fun bunch to watch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    I agree witht his sentiment completely. And I am so looking forward to first hand reporting on the progress of Buxton, J. O. Kepler, Polanco, Harrison, Goodrum, Hicks, Walker, Duffey, et al. Should be a fun bunch to watch.
    Harrison is not likely going to be in class A to start the season, he has lots of work to do with his glove. They also may hold Buxton in Ex.ST as well. The Twins are stingy with their HS'ers and young latin talent.

Blog Entries
    One nice thing about the new CBA and the accelerated signing date is that a guy like Buxton got more PAs with a wood bat this summer than he might have in previous years if the signing process had been stretched out. It seems to me that whether he starts the season in A ball or stays down south a month or two might depend on what the Twins do with the outfielders that finished the year in Beloit.

Blog Entries
    Ballparkdigest.com reporting a press release is expected soon confirming that Ft. Wayne is renewing with the Padres.

Blog Entries
    Dominos continuing to fall. Peoria and the Cardinals have made it official. Four years. (Hat tip to MWLTraveler's tweet, which brought this to my attention).

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t443

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    One nice thing about the new CBA and the accelerated signing date is that a guy like Buxton got more PAs with a wood bat this summer than he might have in previous years if the signing process had been stretched out. It seems to me that whether he starts the season in A ball or stays down south a month or two might depend on what the Twins do with the outfielders that finished the year in Beloit.
    I am really happy with the accelerated signing date. No doubt, without it, Buxton would have likely only been in the GCL. Got some Eliz experience.

As for the OF, there really isn't a reason Lin/Leachman should stay in Lo-A. JD Williams shouldn't either. He'll be 22. Time to advance a level and try to get better.

Roberts will be in FM, for at least part of the season. Rosario should be getting more reps at 2nd, less in the OF.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dominos continuing to fall. Peoria and the Cardinals have made it official. Four years. (Hat tip to MWLTraveler's tweet, which brought this to my attention).

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t443
    QC deciding between
    Houston
    Oakland
    LAA

I would be shocked if they do not chose Houston. Here are the Scenarios that play out. I am expecting QC to have an announcement today regarding which team they will chose. The Royals are heading to Lexington, and that should get done today as well. The A's had an issue with Burlington at the end of the year so I see no chance that the renew. Beloit also has great surrounding area's (janesville). I have talked to guys and they have all echoed that they would rather be in Beloit than Burlington.

QC takes Oakland
    Beloit takes Houston
    Burlington takes LAA

QC takes Houston
    Beloit takes Oakland
    Burlington takes LAA

QC takes LAA
    Beloit takes Oakland
    Burlington takes Houston

Considering that Beloit seems to be a tad higher than Burlington in the MWL pecking order, wouldn't the Snappers ultimately get the say of the two leftover after Quad Cities?

In other words, couldn't the As get stuck back in Burlington anyway if QC picks the Astros, and the Snappers decide they'd rather work with the Angels?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering that Beloit seems to be a tad higher than Burlington in the MWL pecking order, wouldn't the Snappers ultimately get the say of the two leftover after Quad Cities?

In other words, couldn't the As get stuck back in Burlington anyway if QC picks the Astros, and the Snappers decide they'd rather work with the Angels?
    The A's are doing everything they can to get out of Burlington, so if they sense that they are no longer an option for Quad Cities (keep in mind that 25 of the 53 years of Affiliation for QC was with Houston and LAA) then they will likely jump ship and come to Beloit. I the A's are determined not to be in Burlington again. They had numerous problems that I cannot mention because the people who told me asked to keep it quiet. I'll just say this, The problems are on and off the field in Burlington but I cannot specify.
    People that I spoke to in the A's organization have hated Burlington and are the advocates to move the team anywhere else. Another thing to note is that Janesville (where the coaches normally rent) is a great city and the guys who live their love it. The players on Off Days in Beloit would go to Lake Geneva, Milwaukee or Chicago. Most of the Rovers for the Twins would stay in Milwaukee and then drive down to Beloit in for the game (1.5 hours). Burlington offers nothing like that. Beloit is definitely higher on the pecking level than Burlington.

I understand why Oakland would want to be in Beloit. I've talked to a number of player parents over the years who love the fact that you can get from Pohlman Field to MKE in about an hour, and to OHare in under 2. I'm sure that would be a big plus for any AL West team. Although, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone who wasn't a politician say they love Janesville.

The bigger question for me is why Oakland might be a better choice for the Snappers than the Angels. I'd think Beloit would see the longstanding relationship between LAA and CR as a big positive, especially if the As are so desperate to leave Burlington after just 2 years. I guess if Oakland is really desperate they could offer the Snappers something extra? I'm just not sure what that might be.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

The bigger question for me is why Oakland might be a better choice for the Snappers than the Angels. I'd think Beloit would see the longstanding relationship between LAA and CR as a big positive, especially if the As are so desperate to leave Burlington after just 2 years. I guess if Oakland is really desperate they could offer the Snappers something extra? I'm just not sure what that might be.
    If I understand correctly, that isn't allowed by MLB rules. They don't want bidding wars for minor league affiliates. I don't know how easy it is to "game" the system or not.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand why Oakland would want to be in Beloit. I've talked to a number of player parents over the years who love the fact that you can get from Pohlman Field to MKE in about an hour, and to OHare in under 2. I'm sure that would be a big plus for any AL West team. Although, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone who wasn't a politician say they love Janesville.

Beloit is meeting with Houston and Oakland, no LAA.
    Most of the players and who don't live with host families live in Jansville. Also the 3 pieces of the coaching staff last year lived in Janesville.

The Royals and Lexington deal is done, with official announcement coming tomorrow, according to a Lexington TV station.

http://www.lex18.com/news/lexington-...e-affiliation/

Blog Entries
    It's no shock, obviously, that the Cubs and Kane County have announced an affiliation.

But here's what I find at least a little interesting... they only signed on for two years. Given that these two organizations were so keen on hitching up together that they reportedly violated MLB Rule 56 by initiating those discussions well before that rule allows, I find it peculiar that they ended up less committed to one another than the Cardinals & Peoria and the Twins & Cedar Rapids, both of which not only contracted for the maximum four years, but in both cases all the parties went to great measures in saying they intended the relationships to go on well beyond four years.

When new affiliation relationships are the result of shotgun weddings where one or both parties find themselves in a "this is the best we could do but we're not thrilled with it" situation, a 2 year PDC is understandable and extensions of existing affiliations are very commonly just two years. But a new deal where both sides are anxious to hook up? Just seems odd to me.

It will also be interesting to see whether the Cubs and Cougars end up getting slapped with fines for their transgression, though I suppose that may never become widely public.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's will be the team in Beloit, announcement is going to come early next week. I am very excited that the A's will be in Beloit. It is very exciting for me because the A's have gone young recently in the draft, and have ponied up to spend big $$$ on the Latino's. This year upcoming will not be the same with out the Twins in Beloit but I am ecstatic for the team. The Twins were not nearly as pro active in the community in their 8 years in Beloit, as they have shown in the last 2 days towards Cedar Rapids. I will miss the Twins players, but not much else about the Twins.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast