Blog Entries
    Well, at least it wasn't an 0-2 pitch.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 769 Times in 422 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick Blackburn is bad at baseball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    A lot of arc on Blackburnsie's ground balls today.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Put a tent up, the circus is back.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I've heard a little, though not much, of this thinking and completely disagree. Yes, losing and better draft picks are proportional, but winning and losing is infective. It's not like you can try to lose a couple years and then turn it off in the following years and try to win again. Look at the Royals and Pirates, it takes decades to even get a winning record, even all the while stock piling high draft picks... it's an all-too-easy and none-too-clever approach.

It doesn't have anything to do with "leaning how to win" Teams with talent win and teams without talent lose. The Pirates and Royals have been bad for so long cause they didn't hit on picks, lost what little talent they had to free agencey or bad trades.

Hell the farthest team to advances in the postseason in the Gardy era was the 2002 team that had no "winners" among them.

Beginning to understand why people drink during the day.

Liked 1,053 Times in 475 Posts
    Just F'ing release Blackburn and get it over with. I can't take any mor 0-2 "sliders" in the middle of the plate that get pasted into the gap.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it's just me (I'm only partially following the game as I work on something else), but the last few hits seem to have come off some not-too-bad pitches. Looks like Chicago did a good job scouting where Blackburn likes to throw the ball.

Flowers hit a double, time to pull blacky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    A lot of arc on Blackburnsie's ground balls today.
    Turn your television upside down and Blackburn looks fine.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where's Dave to tell us that there's still hope for Blackie?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    I only have 16 more games left in our Season Ticket package.

I love Target Field (i will keep telling myself)

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with "leaning how to win" Teams with talent win and teams without talent lose. The Pirates and Royals have been bad for so long cause they didn't hit on picks, lost what little talent they had to free agencey or bad trades.

Hell the farthest team to advances in the postseason in the Gardy era was the 2002 team that had no "winners" among them.
    Could not disagree more. Talent is important, but that's not all that matters. This organization has the stench of losing becoming a part of its DNA. That's a shame.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Twins front office would really rather watch Blackburn do this then let Liam take his lumps?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Just F'ing release Blackburn and get it over with. I can't take any mor 0-2 "sliders" in the middle of the plate that get pasted into the gap.
    I am paying attention on my smartphone while I work. It shows the chart of where pitches are delivered. Viciedo's homer pitch was 2 inches above his knee and grooved down the middle.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Could not disagree more. Talent is important, but that's not all that matters. This organization has the stench of losing becoming a part of its DNA. That's a shame.
    What in the hell is "stench in it's DNA"

How is someone suppose to respond to that. Talent is all that matters in this game, if you have talented players then you're going to win games. If you have nontalented players then you're going to lose games. Lets not get into the mythical world of clutch, knowing how to win and whatever bs media driven cliches.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Expect to lose and you'll probably lose. Expect to win and you've got a chance. Why do you think sports psychiatrists exist? Why is teaming building and cohesiveness important to businesses and sports teams? Why do people attend religious services? Are beliefs efficacious? Does success not beget success? You don't have to answer all of these or any if you don't care to, but I think there something to the whole mind over matter, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts philosophical adages.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    You like him because you're a sadist.
    Masochist, pig, masochist.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Masochist, pig, masochist.
    No, sadist.

What in the hell is "stench in it's DNA"

How is someone suppose to respond to that. Talent is all that matters in this game, if you have talented players then you're going to win games. If you have nontalented players then you're going to lose games. Lets not get into the mythical world of clutch, knowing how to win and whatever bs media driven cliches.
    Yeah, its all just some big spreadsheet exercise.

I happen to believe that not everything that can be counted counts. And not everything that counts can be counted.

Losing is partly a learned behavior, as is winning.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast