Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: July 25th

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    July 25th

    Syracuse vs Rochester 6:05 PM
    Link
    SYR: Duke (11-4, 3.89) vs. ROC: Vasquez (3-5, 3.70)

    Binghamton vs New Britain
    Link

    Charlotte vs Fort Myers 5:30 PM
    Link
    FTM: Hauser (3-2, 3.18) vs. CHA: Romero (4-4, 3.51)

    Beloit vs Burlington 6:30 PM
    Link
    BEL: Wheeler (11-4, 3.68) vs. BUR: Peters (0-3, 4.66)

    Elizabethton vs Off-Day
    Link

    GCL Rays vs GCL Twins
    Link

    DSL Cubs1 vs DSL Twins
    Link

  2. #2
    Aaron Hicks

    5-6 5 runs hr 2bi 2 doubles

    I wonder Romero will the player promoted to Rochester if Plouffe goes on the DL?

  3. #3
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,382
    Like
    417
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    That whole lineup was hot today... Hermsen pitched pretty well too.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Aaron Hicks

    5-6 5 runs hr 2bi 2 doubles
    A quick eyeball says all the XBH came against righties too. That's a big, fat day for Mr. Hicks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,852
    Like
    12
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Weddings! View Post
    A quick eyeball says all the XBH came against righties too. That's a big, fat day for Mr. Hicks.
    And legitimate pitchers as well. Zack Wheeler was the starter and he also faced a big league reliever down on a rehab assignment.
    Papers...business papers.

  6. #6
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,844
    Like
    179
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Damn that NBR boxscore is pleasant to look at.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,595
    Like
    19
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rosario got a start in the GCL today! Also, Felix Jorge has put together a few nice outings.

    Scouting Book.com
    One of the top pitchers in Latin America from 2010's signing period, righthander Felix Jorge is one of the most promising Latin American prospects in baseball. He entertained offers from several MLB teams, but the Twins made the best push after seeing him perform at an all-scouts tryout in early 2011.

    Jorge wields a 90-92mph fastball with a loose, repeatable arm action and has already shown advanced feel for a quality breaking ball. He's several years away from being a serious force, but he's got the right mix of physical, mental and toolsy makeup... and now he's in the perfect system to develop his potential.


    BA
    Jorge, who is around 6-foot-4, 175 pounds, has an 88-91 mph fastball that has touched 92. Jorge, a 17-year-old from Santiago, has a good delivery, a loose arm and shows feel for spinning a solid curveball.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/02/twins-sign-dominican-righthander-jorge

    Have to say I'm somewhat excited about this kid from reading these scouting reports and watching him throw. He already was sitting in the low 90's at 17 and with that frame he could easily put on a few ticks to his FB. I mostly like his delivery, wish he extended his arm a little more as I think short arm deliveries create more injuries (just my opinion). I do like the push-off and fluid arm motion though. Between him and Berrios, the Twins might have a few high upside pitchers in their system.... unfortunately they wont be ready until 2016. Add a couple more nice pieces though and the Twins might be ready to compete by then.

  8. #8
    Somebody else can verify that I'm not just imagining this, but I could have sworn there was something this winter (maybe BA's DSL top-10?) that indicated Jorge's fastball was already showing a bit more fast...ness.

  9. #9
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

    Hicks

    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    And legitimate pitchers as well. Zack Wheeler was the starter and he also faced a big league reliever down on a rehab assignment.
    I checked Hicks' numbers as of today and they are quite impressive. He is above .280, has 10 homers and has an OPS of .826. His splits have evened up and he seems to have a pretty good eye, although he strikes out a lot. Since his arm and defense are unquestioned, I think there is a chance that Hicks is closer to ready than anyone might have thought. This is by far the most impressive season that Hicks has put up. All the more reason to trade Span for pitching.

  10. #10
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,954
    Like
    257
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    No Ks and 3 BBs for Sano

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,595
    Like
    19
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I checked Hicks' numbers as of today and they are quite impressive. He is above .280, has 10 homers and has an OPS of .826. His splits have evened up and he seems to have a pretty good eye, although he strikes out a lot. Since his arm and defense are unquestioned, I think there is a chance that Hicks is closer to ready than anyone might have thought. This is by far the most impressive season that Hicks has put up. All the more reason to trade Span for pitching.
    Hicks has been doing this for for a while now. In the past he's had some nice runs with this type of play, but never sustained for this long, or nearly this good. My biggest issue with Hicks was always consistence, lack of power, and splits from the left side. All of those things have been improved.

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,114
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Rosario got a start in the GCL today! Also, Felix Jorge has put together a few nice outings.

    Scouting Book.com
    One of the top pitchers in Latin America from 2010's signing period, righthander Felix Jorge is one of the most promising Latin American prospects in baseball. He entertained offers from several MLB teams, but the Twins made the best push after seeing him perform at an all-scouts tryout in early 2011.

    Jorge wields a 90-92mph fastball with a loose, repeatable arm action and has already shown advanced feel for a quality breaking ball. He's several years away from being a serious force, but he's got the right mix of physical, mental and toolsy makeup... and now he's in the perfect system to develop his potential.


    BA
    Jorge, who is around 6-foot-4, 175 pounds, has an 88-91 mph fastball that has touched 92. Jorge, a 17-year-old from Santiago, has a good delivery, a loose arm and shows feel for spinning a solid curveball.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/02/twins-sign-dominican-righthander-jorge

    Have to say I'm somewhat excited about this kid from reading these scouting reports and watching him throw. He already was sitting in the low 90's at 17 and with that frame he could easily put on a few ticks to his FB. I mostly like his delivery, wish he extended his arm a little more as I think short arm deliveries create more injuries (just my opinion). I do like the push-off and fluid arm motion though. Between him and Berrios, the Twins might have a few high upside pitchers in their system.... unfortunately they wont be ready until 2016. Add a couple more nice pieces though and the Twins might be ready to compete by then.
    Thanks for the heads-up. Jorge had fallen off my radar. He's still a long ways off but in a system that has no power arms in the high minors, any kind of positive news is a good thing.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,114
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Hicks has been doing this for for a while now. In the past he's had some nice runs with this type of play, but never sustained for this long, or nearly this good. My biggest issue with Hicks was always consistence, lack of power, and splits from the left side. All of those things have been improved.
    This. Hicks has been an up-and-down player, prone to long droughts of hitting mixed with explosive months. It's a really good sign that he's starting to dominate AA consistently at a relatively young age.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,987
    Like
    103
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    People gave up on Hicks way to soon, he was always a toolsy player with a huge upside (see Buxton) it just takes most prospects a few years to put it together, guys like Trout and Harper are the exception to the norm.

    I hope people remember this with Buxton's development as well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    824
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    This. Hicks has been an up-and-down player, prone to long droughts of hitting mixed with explosive months. It's a really good sign that he's starting to dominate AA consistently at a relatively young age.

    Best news with Hicks are his splits.

    .278 vs RHP, .299 vs RHP.

    The lefty batting has been atrocious in the past.

  16. #16
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,114
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    People gave up on Hicks way to soon, he was always a toolsy player with a huge upside (see Buxton) it just takes most prospects a few years to put it together, guys like Trout and Harper are the exception to the norm.

    I hope people remember this with Buxton's development as well.
    They won't. Even some BYTOers were ready to put Kubel and Cuddyer on the chopping block, even though they dominated all the way through the minors.

    People just don't show enough patience with kids on the farm. It happens every year, even with guys like Hicks who never do that badly. Aaron never had a bad season, he has only posted somewhat pedestrian numbers in off years as he advanced to a new level at a young age.

    And I'm saying that as a guy who was never enamored with Hicks.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,595
    Like
    19
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I know I was hard on him, but he deserved it lol. Never said he wouldn't amount to anything, but at some point a guy needs to show some progress to keep top prospect status. This year, he has.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.