Thread: First Reliever Into the Rotation?

First Reliever Into the Rotation?

As an addition to the discussion about pitchers in the Gleeman & the Geek's recent podcast, I wonder ... who's the first pitcher out of the bullpen and into the rotation *when* one of the starters gets hurt or struggles?

I imagine Gardy will pick Duensing because he was a starter last year. But is he the best choice? Who should it be?

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to say Anthony Swarzak will be the first reliever used as a starter in the 2012 season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I think Swarzak gets the first spot start. If a pitcher goes down for a month or so (or is just really ineffective) I imagine Hendriks gets called up.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he is with the team, Terry Doyle. He pitched more than 200 innings last season. Duensing is too bad against RH and too valuable as a LOOGY
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Swarzak is in, unless Doyle makes the team (which, as the Rule 5 Draft, he kind of sort of has to.)

I hope it's not Duensing, not because I don't like him, but because I feel like he can be a solid contributor if you give him a role he can stick with, and he was a valuable arm out of the pen a couple years ago.

Swarzak would be the obvious guess.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's Doyle (as others have said, if he's still here). If it's after June, then I'd say they'd go to Hendriks.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duensing belongs in the pen, he thrived there before so I say Swarzak and Doyle although I'll admit I don't know much about his career.

I wish Swarzak would get a fair shot. Solely based on last years performance he was essentially a Carl Pavano with 1/2 the innings, fewer hits and more strikeouts per 9 innings. Plus a better SO/BB ratio as well. Anthony is cheaper and younger than many other options for the rotation, give him a shot at a full season.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd kind of hope they call up Hendricks personally, but if it is a reliever to the rotation, I'd say Swarzak...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure they trade a prospect who's better than Zach Putnam for Kevin Slowey.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that it would be between Swarzak and Doyle. I think the nod would go to Swarzak based on experience, but if Doyle is really showing us something then I would give him a chance.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

I think the scarier question is who this reliever is stepping in for -- maybe Swarzak or Doyle could fill in for Blackburn or Marquis if one of them falters or gets injured but if Baker/Liriano/Pavano goes down our rotation looks even scarier than it does now

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually think Duensing would be the first guy called upon, especially if he's pitching well in the bullpen. He's got a history of transitioning from reliever to starter very well, and the Twins really seem to like him. It would also be pretty easy to fill his role, as the Twins could simply call up Phil Dumatrait to take over LOOGY duties.

Not saying this is necessarily the route I'd go, but you can't overlook the fact that Duensing has excelled when called upon in such situations previously.