Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Hard Truths

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I view Ryan as a man of integrity, therefore lacking evidence to the contrary I assume no such offer was in hand.
    More importantly, he has no reason to not tell the fans the truth of the situation. Why on earth would he lie about wanting high ceiling guys and then go for the exact opposite unless he received no other offers?

Occam has a razor he'd like to tell you about...

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Below is from Ken Rosenthal of Fox sports on July 9, 2012:

GAMBLING ON LIRIANO

Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano is 3-2 with a 2.74 ERA in eight starts since returning to the teamís rotation, but most clubs still are wary of trading for him.

Liriano, even during this period of relative prosperity, is averaging 4.4 walks per nine innings. The Braves have been linked to him, but why would they want a potential free agent, who is no more trustworthy than their young starters?

Better the Braves should trade for Greinke ó or better still, Rays right-hander James Shields, who is earning $7 million this season, with club options of $9 million next season and $12 million in 2014.

Some clubs like Liriano better as a reliever. And itís doubtful that any will part with significant prospects when under the new collective bargaining agreement, there is no possibility of draft-pick compensation if he leaves as a free agent.

The Twins, by the way, will listen not just on Liriano. Closer Matt Capps, recovering from right shoulder inflammation, also will be available once he comes off the disabled list, sources say.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    On the other hand, this is exactly what the interim did... I guess he has to admit that he made a mistake now...
    He said it would be a mistake to pass up a high-ceiling guy. There is no evidence that we was offered any such prospects; in fact, I'd say the fact that he had to settle on Hernandez and Escobar is a strong indication that he wasn't.

Opposing teams just didn't value Liriano the way we hoped they would. You can sit there and cast blame on Ryan or you can come to terms with the truth of the situation.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is of course the option to float rumors of extending Liriano so as to bait potential buyers, rather than desperately shopping him to anyone who will listen.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    For the record, i object to the term "nobody."
    Duly noted - I should have said "almost nobody" or even better, "very few".
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 07-30-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Again, the real hard lesson is that to get quality, you have to give up quality.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    There is of course the option to float rumors of extending Liriano so as to bait potential buyers, rather than desperately shopping him to anyone who will listen.
    This.

A club virtually bereft of quality SPs, let alone a quality "power" SP, basically gives away their only option- of any kind- at "P"SP. It is constantly preached that quality starting pitchers don't come cheaply and to wit, the Twins made curious-to-ridiculous long-term deals to the likes of utter mediocrities in Pavano and Blackburn. The play here obviously should have either been in bluffing on their intentions on Liriano long-term to drive up his value or playing chicken on the one-year @ $12Mil for the Pick or one more year of service- with the chance to deal him during 2013. The defenders of Ryan and ownership are mind-boggling. It's well-past obvious that new-blood and agressive, forward-thinking is needed desperately in this organization.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there was no plan to offer him 12.5M, then they had to trade him. Here's the question, would Liriano accept 12.5M for a one year offer? That right there is half of the FA budget for pitchers, several of whom could be had cheaper and were far more likely to succeed. The Twins' FO pretty clearly thought that playing chicken with Liriano on a 1 year deal was flushing 12M down the toilet, so trading was all they could do. And extending him... exactly when? He clearly didn't want to do it now, and you cannot blame him. Do you do it after the 2010 season? 2011? There's risk there, and it's clearly risk the front office wanted nothing to do with. I do agree they need to be abit less risk averse, but I'm not sure that Liriano is the poster child example for this.

I highly doubt that there were better offers on the table for Liriano, and if 12.5M wasn't an option, you take what Chicago offered...

The White Sox say they can make him better? May be he will chew even more gum--wasn't that the key to his most recent success? I hope the Twins light him up on Tuesday. Be patient, don't swing at the slider unless it is up in the zone then swing away.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I actually kind of believe Don Cooper could fixed Liriano's machanics and I hope he does so it puts even more light onto the fact that Rick Anderson isn't a good pitching coach.

it's the same as last year pretty much. was hoping the Twins would have traded for rebuilding instead of letting guys go. The Twins are either overvaluing their players or bluffing on asking prices right now.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If there was no plan to offer him 12.5M, then they had to trade him. And extending him... exactly when? He clearly didn't want to do it now, and you cannot blame him. Do you do it after the 2010 season? 2011? There's risk there, and it's clearly risk the front office wanted nothing to do with. I do agree they need to be abit less risk averse, but I'm not sure that Liriano is the poster child example for this.

I highly doubt that there were better offers on the table for Liriano, and if 12.5M wasn't an option, you take what Chicago offered...
    They didn't necessarily NEED to extend him, just get the "message" out that they were trying everything possible in an attempt to extend him. And you are right, there weren't better offers on the table for Liriano, partly because of the Twins inability to play poker.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
    The White Sox say they can make him better? May be he will chew even more gum--wasn't that the key to his most recent success? I hope the Twins light him up on Tuesday. Be patient, don't swing at the slider unless it is up in the zone then swing away.
    Easy for you to say...

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going to agree with you on this one, Nick. Anybody who thought Liriano was in a class with the other pitchers acquired at the deadline this year was sadly delusional. Here's the evidence:

A) 5-7, 3.94 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 8.2 K/9, age 28
    B) 9-3, 3.44 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, age 28
    C) 7-9, 3.82 ERA, 1.295 WHIP, 6.2 K/9, age 33
    D) 3-10, 5.31 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, age 28

A = Anibal Sanchez, B = Zack Greinke, C = Wandy Rodriguez, D = Francisco Liriano
    All stats are this season prior to being traded.

And if you want to go back to last year, it doesn't look any better:

A) 8-9, 3.67 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 9.3 K/9
    B) 16-6, 3.83 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 10.5 K/9
    C) 11-11, 3.49 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 7.8 K/9
    D) 9-10, 5.09 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 7.5 K/9

Liriano was clearly not in the same class as the other pitchers on the block, and thus clearly did not warrant the same kind of consideration from other clubs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    They didn't necessarily NEED to extend him, just get the "message" out that they were trying everything possible in an attempt to extend him. And you are right, there weren't better offers on the table for Liriano, partly because of the Twins inability to play poker.
    This doesn't make any sense. The Twins talking about resigning Liriano doesn't drive demand. What drives demand is a product that is valued by several buyers. If other teams don't think Liriano is valuable no amount of posturing by the Twins is going to change that. Liriano's inconsistencies, better pitchers available and buyers only getting ~12 starts is what drove the asking price.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. The Twins talking about resigning Liriano doesn't drive demand. What drives demand is a product that is valued by several buyers. If other teams don't think Liriano is valuable no amount of posturing by the Twins is going to change that. Liriano's inconsistencies, better pitchers available and buyers only getting ~12 starts is what drove the asking price.
    You obviously play craps.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    More importantly, he has no reason to not tell the fans the truth of the situation. Why on earth would he lie about wanting high ceiling guys and then go for the exact opposite unless he received no other offers?

Occam has a razor he'd like to tell you about...
    He would change tunes if after saying he wanted high upsided guys, Dave St. Peter told him he wasn't going to have much payroll to work with next year and might want to think about getting MLB ready arms instead to fill out the rotation.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
    Going to agree with you on this one, Nick. Anybody who thought Liriano was in a class with the other pitchers acquired at the deadline this year was sadly delusional. Here's the evidence:

Liriano was clearly not in the same class as the other pitchers on the block, and thus clearly did not warrant the same kind of consideration from other clubs.
    I don't recall anybody claiming that Liriano was in the same class with the other deadline pitchers. What he did have on his resume were two dominant seasons over his 6+ year career. "Selling the dream" and giving hope at recapturing that magic was part of what Twins' management needed to put at the forefront of their marketing scheme.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 589 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I don't recall anybody claiming that Liriano was in the same class with the other deadline pitchers.
    Someone put Liriano and Anibal Sanchez into the same class just yesterday.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    He would change tunes if after saying he wanted high upsided guys, Dave St. Peter told him he wasn't going to have much payroll to work with next year and might want to think about getting MLB ready arms instead to fill out the rotation.
    Wild speculation and given Ryan's statements, doesn't change the fact that he'd still probably go for higher upside guys in the low minors for the long-term health of the franchise.

We all know that Ryan is not averse to signing budget starters (gag).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast