Thread: Article: Hard Truths

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Hard Truths

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The hard truth is that he is a knuckle head, run him out of town!

So GUESSING that a better offer won't materialize after a guy whose stuff per pitch f/x is unequivocally, demonstrably, objectively TOTALLY DIFFERENT than it was in 2011 and early 2012 (and actually even better than 2010) makes another start is OK, because, y'know, "he didn't expect better[offers] to come by Tuesday".

Just: no. The F.O. is toast. At least Liriano, of whom I'm a much bigger fan at this point than the Twins Org., writ large, will get a chance to work with a real pitching coach.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I remember when he was put in the bullpen a few months ago and everyone here was saddened because we all knew frankie would work it out. Absolutely no one called for him to be released or anything like that. We all stood by him because we believed in him.

So to lose him for two mediocre at best players is truly heartbreaking for all of us that had faith in Liriano through thick and thin. Because absolutely none of us called for him to be demoted, even at 0-5 with a 9.45 era. We all knew he had it in him.

So long Francisco Liriano y Casillas, I shall shed tears for thee

Liked 1,152 Times in 521 Posts
    This trade will not be viewed favorably in the future. A team this desparate for starting pitching should not be so cavalier about dumping the best arm in it's system.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with everything you've said here, Nick.

I continue to be perplexed by the number of people who are so convinced that we could have gotten so much more for him. They seem to be valuing him based solely on his upside while ignoring his downside, but even the dumbest of MLB front offices is smart enough not to do that.

And when it comes to a guy at his age with his experience, you can't be talking about "potential" anymore. He is what he is. A guy who ranges from brilliant to brutal, both between and within starts.

I don't see why anyone would think that teams would be lining up to offer their best prospects for a 2-month rental of such a player. It defies logic.

Time will tell how this trade plays out. Maybe the Whities are right and they can teach Frankie some new tricks. Maybe he helps them and they even bring him back.

But maybe the Whities see bad Frankie, miss the postseason and he walks at the end of the year while one of these guys ends up helping the Twins, and the fans on the Southside start demanding to know what the hell their management was thinking when they made this deal.

We shall see.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Truth is too, that we have about as good a chance re-signing him in the offseason as we would if we hadn't traded him. If he manages to stay in "Ace" mode the rest of the season, he is not gonna just resign with the Sox, he's gonna wanna test the waters, same as he would if he was here.

We COULD make a run at him, and then the net result would be we only lose him for two months for two young guys. If he signs a big deal elsewhere, well, he probably would have gotten that deal leaving the Twins too, which means we would have lost him for nothing.

We all know how much we love when our top guys leave in FA and we get jack squat in return

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The find I find amazing is the short attention span of most fans, even knowledgeable fans. Last May, this is exactly what fans were clamoring for - a run of good starts so the Twins could get something, ANYTHING, for him before he imploded again. Nobody was talking about offering him an extension or calling him the best arm in the system (which he is on his good days). There were even some who said we should just DFA him and be done with it. I'm OK with this trade - I would have liked more, but it wasn't to be.

I do think, given their contracts, that more needs to be expected for Span, Willingham or Morneau - they won't go for this level of return. If that's all that Ryan is offered for one of them, just say no and keep them.

Liked 363 Times in 205 Posts
    The question that nags at me isn't about what the Twins got from him in the trade -- it's about what the Twins got from him while he was with the team.

Did they get the best from him? Are they getting the best from the other players they have?

I guess we'll see what Frankie does with the Sox.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    So it proves that if you want to get good players in trades, you need to trade good players, and also not wait until they are only 3 month rentals. The question is, has Ryan come to the same conclusion?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 155 Times in 80 Posts
    Unless you are a fan that thinks a couple more wins we'll be back in the race, there is little reason to be upset. If you are one of those fans you need help! We got something for him rather than see him leave after the season and get nothing. It is not in Ryan's dna to spend big money on free agents so thinking Liriano would sign a long term deal to stay is silly. Now could he come back when he finds no market for his good, bad and sometimes ugly pitching, sure but why would we want that. We have a bad team, it has been a bad team for over a year and thinking that a bad team has a lot of great players worth a small fortune doesn't make sense. Trade anything worth talent in return, every player on this team can be replaced and lets rebuild a team not for competeing in the central but a team worth watching come playoff time. Of course do it on the cheap!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So it proves that if you want to get good players in trades, you need to trade good players, and also not wait until they are only 3 month rentals. The question is, has Ryan come to the same conclusion?
    Another nice recap Nick.

Mike has summed it up correctly. If you want good players you need to offer good players. This is what the market brought for Frankie.

I'm sure we will all be watching Liriano for the rest of the season and somehow try and draw conclusions from his performances into evaluating this trade. If he does well, does that reflect badly on Rick Anderson and the Twins coaching staff and how they handled him? If he pitches poorly will that mean that TR played it well and at least got some thing for him? I have a feeling we will land somewhere in between. He will pitch great at times and implode during other outings, just like he did for us. That may be good enough for the Sox. It didn't work for us, we are at a point where we need consistent starts and at this point in his career, Liriano is anything but a consistent pitcher.

Good Luck to Frankie, I hope he finds that groove and fulfills his potential down the road, I just hope it isn't as White Sox.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of course he would have preferred to pry away younger prospects with higher ceilings
    Rywan said he wanted pitchers in the high minors who are "ready to go."

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    This trade will not be viewed favorably in the future. A team this desparate for starting pitching should not be so cavalier about dumping the best arm in it's system.
    Most "live" arm yes, best arm? Not so sure. Moving forward I'd say there is a at least a 50% chance that Hendriks, Diamond and Gibson all outpitch Liriano, and most importanly will cost millions of dollars cheaper.

I wanted Liriano to stick around as well, and maybe if he preforms "meh" for the White Sox (4.00-4.50 ERA) down the stretch perhaps we can get him back on a cheap 1 year or 2 year deal. But the Twins decided enough was enough at this point with Liriano and they made the move, sometimes you just gotta move on, just like the Delmon trade last year.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Rywan said he wanted pitchers in the high minors who are "ready to go."
    HUH? Where did you hear that? I heard Ryan say he wanted high ceiling, no matter how far away they were to the majors.

Liked 1,152 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    The find I find amazing is the short attention span of most fans, even knowledgeable fans. Last May, this is exactly what fans were clamoring for - a run of good starts so the Twins could get something, ANYTHING, for him before he imploded again. Nobody was talking about offering him an extension or calling him the best arm in the system (which he is on his good days). There were even some who said we should just DFA him and be done with it. I'm OK with this trade - I would have liked more, but it wasn't to be.

I do think, given their contracts, that more needs to be expected for Span, Willingham or Morneau - they won't go for this level of return. If that's all that Ryan is offered for one of them, just say no and keep them.
    For the record, i object to the term "nobody."

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    For the record, i object to the term "nobody."
    +1. I was with you the whole way, if anything I thought they should have tried to lock him up in the off-season.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    HUH? Where did you hear that? I heard Ryan say he wanted high ceiling, no matter how far away they were to the majors.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...s-dodgers-more

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    What this deal indicates is that "nobody" in their right mind really can think Liriano is a "frontline" anything.

I have minimal hope for this deal panning out and I'm not a fan of the value they got, but what they got is exactly what one should expect for what Frankie ACTUALLY is. Not what we all fondly remember him to be.

It's funny to talk with Sox fans in my family, they almost all have the same answer to two questions: How do you feel about Frankie and how do you feel about what you gave up?

Answer: Meh. Couldn't agree more.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a little curious about Pedro Hernandez. Is he rated as high as Samuel Deduno?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast