Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Article: What if the Twins do Nothing Today?

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: What if the Twins do Nothing Today?


  2. #2
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If for the second year in a row the Twins do nothing at the deadline (except save the Pohlads some cash on the Liriano trade) I'm going to lose my mind.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    5
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great article

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    98
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    They needed to trade Liriano since he won't be part of next years team. They can move Span or anyone else in the offseason if they wanted to. If they aren't blown away for Span or Willingham, I don't expect them to make a trade. They still might make a small waiver trade involving Pavano or Capps in August.

    I would like them to look at moving Perkins though. LH relievers might be over valued by some.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    738
    Like
    87
    Liked 291 Times in 156 Posts
    If you get a great offer, take it. If you don't, wait until the offseason. I'm actually far more interested in seeing if they can get anything for Pavano and Capps, which is going to take a bit of time to develop.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    118
    Like
    19
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Good article Seth!!! Always enjoy reading your posts!! TR did what he needed to do, got something out of Liriano, a free agent at the end of the season. Yes it would have been nice to get more but obviously other teams didn't want the head case that badly.

    TR has had bad luck in the fact that his other two prime free agents, Pavano and Capps, are both hurt. I fully expect both of them to still be traded if they come back and pitch at all and prove they're healthy. Again, get something for the free agent at the end of the season.

    I think the signing of Dumait tipped TR's hand, he thinks with his everyday lineup, the addition of a couple of pitchers, and the Twins can be contenders next year. Theres also the Target Field factor, without at least a contending team, attendance is down, less $8 beers and $6 hotdogs are sold. If they had a fire sale, fans will stay away in droves.

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I would like them to look at moving Perkins though. LH relievers might be over valued by some.
    Agreed!! I hope that Terry Ryan is on the phone all day long, and if they can get tremendous value for anyone, I hope he pulls the trigger. However, if he doesn't get a great deal for those guys who aren't free agents at the end of the year, there are options.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Posts
    146
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    This team is 2-3 starting pitchers away from competing next year (and had Pavano, Baker, and Gibson not been injured this year, who knows where we'd be). It makes zero sense to trade a bat unless you're getting a king's ransom in return, because a top 7 of Span, Revere, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau, Plouffe, and Doumit is as good as any top 7 in the AL Central, and can hold their own against any top 7 in the league.

    The Twins took the pu-pu platter for Liriano because they are clearing space to sign starting pitching in the offseason (I hope). They couldn't risk offering Liriano 12m+ and having him jump on it, eating up money for other free agents. Therefore, getting something is better than getting nothing. It's also worth remembering that most of us were pretty upset when we traded Billy Bullock for Scott Diamond prior to last year. Thus far, that's looking like a pretty good trade.

  9. #9
    How will the twins get better without improvisations. the farm system? TR should look at the great work the Cubs and Astros have done this summer to build for the future. It looks like TR would rather have a poor/mediocre product than to build a team that can win in the postseason.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    98
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    How will the twins get better without improvisations. the farm system? TR should look at the great work the Cubs and Astros have done this summer to build for the future. It looks like TR would rather have a poor/mediocre product than to build a team that can win in the postseason.
    sigh. You can rebuild without trading Span. Moves like Bullock for Diamond are also effective. Obviously, if Ryan gets a great offer he should take it but there's no reason for him to make a move - today - unless he likes it. If the 2013 Twins have this same rotation then there's something wrong but the FO has plenty of time before next April to make changes.

    And your last sentence is just stupid.

  11. #11
    I guess to answer if I would be dissapointed - not really. I would prefer doing nothing to making a bad trade. We hope to use the pressure of the deadline to force a contending team to give up prize prospects that are "worth" more than we are dealing. If that doesn't happen we still have the offseason and next year. We will likely have to address our needs in Free Agency.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Good article Seth!!! Always enjoy reading your posts!! TR did what he needed to do, got something out of Liriano, a free agent at the end of the season. Yes it would have been nice to get more but obviously other teams didn't want the head case that badly.

    TR has had bad luck in the fact that his other two prime free agents, Pavano and Capps, are both hurt. I fully expect both of them to still be traded if they come back and pitch at all and prove they're healthy. Again, get something for the free agent at the end of the season.

    I think the signing of Dumait tipped TR's hand, he thinks with his everyday lineup, the addition of a couple of pitchers, and the Twins can be contenders next year. Theres also the Target Field factor, without at least a contending team, attendance is down, less $8 beers and $6 hotdogs are sold. If they had a fire sale, fans will stay away in droves.
    Nice article Seth.

    I agree with you Jack. I also think TR tipped his hand by upping Doumit. As we have discussed all season. Pitching is the problem. If there isn't a boat load of pitching coming back in a trade, it is better to just hang onto our assets. Span and the rest have value and will continue to have value for years to come. Liriano had a ticking clock on his deal and that value ended at 3:00pm today. I'm glad TR took care of that, but the rest of the moves can happy, today, in the offseason or next year at the trade dealine. No move may and probably will be better than a desperate move.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    1,900
    Like
    430
    Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    But if the Twins decide not to make July trades or big offseason trades, that means that they have ever intention of competing right away in 2013.

    This is incredibly depressing to me. Because to me it means that rather than taking some risks and being patient enough to obtain high-ceiling pitching prospects, the organization will be content to return to being "competitive in the Central" without any realistic expectations of going beyond that.

    I realize that watching the cr*p we've watched the last 2 seasons hasn't been fun. But it still hasn't been as low a point for me as that day in October 2010 when I finally accepted that there was no way in the world that this team would advance in the playoffs unless some major changes were made.

    NOTHING that is happening now leads me to believe that the organization has accepted that major changes need to be made. As long as they are good enough to keep the money coming into the coffers, this organization will be content with mediocrity -- never aiming for excellence.

    Bah, humbug.

  14. #14
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,692
    Like
    32
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    But if the Twins decide not to make July trades or big offseason trades, that means that they have ever intention of competing right away in 2013.

    This is incredibly depressing to me. Because to me it means that rather than taking some risks and being patient enough to obtain high-ceiling pitching prospects, the organization will be content to return to being "competitive in the Central" without any realistic expectations of going beyond that.

    I realize that watching the cr*p we've watched the last 2 seasons hasn't been fun. But it still hasn't been as low a point for me as that day in October 2010 when I finally accepted that there was no way in the world that this team would advance in the playoffs unless some major changes were made.

    NOTHING that is happening now leads me to believe that the organization has accepted that major changes need to be made. As long as they are good enough to keep the money coming into the coffers, this organization will be content with mediocrity -- never aiming for excellence.

    Bah, humbug.
    Even if they're eyeing competing in 2013, that does not exclude them trading Span and/or Willingham... It just means that they probably won't be doing it today or this offseason.

    The Twins moved AJ in the middle of contending when they felt they had the assets to make the move and not miss a step. Considering how long Willingham and Span are under contract, it's not hard to envision that scenario happening again (possibly minus the "contention" part).

    It's not something I advocate doing but it's a real possibility and not necessarily a terrible idea.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,609
    Like
    512
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I would be disappointed if they do not deal more.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

    I realize that watching the cr*p we've watched the last 2 seasons hasn't been fun. But it still hasn't been as low a point for me as that day in October 2010 when I finally accepted that there was no way in the world that this team would advance in the playoffs unless some major changes were made.

    Bah, humbug.
    What? Losing sucks. We won 94 games in 2010. As St. Louis showed us last year, if you get to the playoffs you have a chance. Yes, our weaknesses were exposed during the 2010 series with the Yankees but I would much rather be in the playoff hunt right now and be looking at making trades that could put us over the top for this years wild card or division title.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    974
    Like
    4
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    The Twins are 34-32 since May 16th?

    The first six weeks of the season are inextricably tied to the team's record. A bad six-week stretch can't be overlooked because of a mediocre eight-week stretch.

    The 2011 Twins during that same period from May 16th to July 30th were 38-30.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't expect the dead ass Twins to make a trade, because they never work at it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,100
    Like
    44
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    111-157 over the last two years and we are ok? If you keep lowering the goal, now play .500 so we can be in it in the central, then i guess we are ok.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    516
    Like
    37
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    With regards to the lineup, if Danny V has more games like last night I think it's not out of the question to move Plouffe to 2nd. Then we would be set for 8 spots. Plouffe filled in a little at 2nd this year and I thought he looked pretty comfortable there. I know that many will say he just got comfortable at third but given the full time starting 2nd base job I think he can hold that down.

    Clearly we need pitching but I can only seeing TR signing one pitcher with a 4.00 or higher again that is an inning eater. By mid season we have Devries Walters/Deduno back up here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.