Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News on Gibson

Good News on Gibson

"Since we drafted him, that's as good as I've seen him throw the ball," Antony said. "More velocity than I saw when he was at Rochester and before that, because he was consistently 93-94 [mph], and his slider was 84-86 [mph] with good life."

Good to see one of our guys come back with more velocity. Sounds like they will be moving him up a level soon.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_min&c_id=min

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Let's hope that isn't just gushing and is accurate - if so that is excellent news.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was dominant in his last outing - 7 Ks in 3 innings - so I'll believe it. Keep it up KGib!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    #2 starter upside, hope he reaches it!

#1 = Free Agent, Vet/Innings Eater
    #2 = Gibson
    #3 = Diamond
    #4 = Blackburn (He's signed - so he'll pitch)
    #5 = Hendricks

Probably won't strike fear in a lot of teams - but you never know. I would never have dreamed Dedundo would shut out Boston for 6 either.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks hasn't really proved that he can pitch in the Bigs, so I wouldn't chalk him up for a spot just yet. While Gibson might be in the #2 spot, he will be on an innings-count and won't pitch the entire year. Blackburn honestly should be released unless his most recent start was the beginning of something. Diamond I agree with, and they should have Deduno fighting for a spot with Hendriks and possibly Baker. And yes, the Twins should bring in at least one vet starter who can take the #1 spot.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
    #1 = Free Agent, Vet/Innings Eater
    #2 = Gibson
    #3 = Diamond
    #4 = Blackburn (He's signed - so he'll pitch)
    #5 = Hendricks

Probably won't strike fear in a lot of teams - but you never know. I would never have dreamed Dedundo would shut out Boston for 6 either.

EXACTLY my thoughts only i think Scott Baker will be in the #4 spot.

and BLacky and Hendriks will battle it out for #5....with the loser being long-man in the Bullpen

NO MORE FRIGGIN JEFF GRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Hendricks has been dominating AAA. 7 innings/7K's and the W tonight. Overall, 8-2, 2.32 ERA/0.98 WHIP. He's ready.

Great game by Deduno tonight. But I just don't see him sustaining this with the amount of people he walks each game. I don't think he's going to be a long term answer. But a great stop-gap.

Regarding Baker - someone with more knowledge than me will have to chime in. I believe it's his option year. I don't know if that means we have to offer him $6.5M again. If so - I don't see that happening since he probably won't pitch at all before Spring Training.

I said it last season, and it still applies this offseason. The perfect FA signing for this team is Edwin Jackson on a 4 yr/42-48M dollar deal. Young enough, inning eating horse who has been a consistently good, while not spectacular starter. From there go with some combo of Diamond, Hendricks, Blackie, new guy Hernandez, Gibson, and Deduno to fill out the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Counting on baker to be ready/effective by the start of next season is a mistake. I like baker and like his potential but it might be time for the Twins to move on from him/. Offer him a 2 mil base and 5 mil in incentives, if he turns it down let him leave

Good deal, hope it lasts.

Actually if you think about it Baker should be ready early.....maybe not super effective but he will be ready to pitch. Gibson had his surgery late last year and is already pitching in July!! Baker had his surgery in March or early Aprile so it is conceivable that he will be ready for the beginning of the season and no later than the middle of May. His effectiveness is a crapshoot based in previous pitchers who have had TJ. However, his work ethic is much stronger than a guy like Liriano so he may bounce back much faster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2013: Diamond, Deduno, Gibson, Hendriks, De Vries. Maybe Bromberg?

I feel very confident about Deduno. He appears to have his game under control, his breaking stuff is for real, and he may start stretching out to 7 innings. Gibson may well hit the majors next season and make the rotation out of spring training, as might Hendriks, if he gets a little more mature about damage control. De Vries has proved that he can get hitters out at the major league level, but he needs to finish strong to prove he can make the adjustments the second and third times teams see him. David Bromberg is a strikeout pitcher that looked on the fast track before he got his pitching arm broken by a line drive. Now he's looking like the Bromberg from before the accident.

September is going to be an interesting time for this team.

Liked 297 Times in 166 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    2013: Diamond, Deduno, Gibson, Hendriks, De Vries. Maybe Bromberg?

I feel very confident about Deduno. He appears to have his game under control, his breaking stuff is for real, and he may start stretching out to 7 innings. Gibson may well hit the majors next season and make the rotation out of spring training, as might Hendriks, if he gets a little more mature about damage control. De Vries has proved that he can get hitters out at the major league level, but he needs to finish strong to prove he can make the adjustments the second and third times teams see him. David Bromberg is a strikeout pitcher that looked on the fast track before he got his pitching arm broken by a line drive. Now he's looking like the Bromberg from before the accident.

September is going to be an interesting time for this team.
    I am glad that someone is including Deduno. Yes, he might flop, but tonight he looked like the real thing.

Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    Regarding Baker - someone with more knowledge than me will have to chime in. I believe it's his option year. I don't know if that means we have to offer him $6.5M again. If so - I don't see that happening since he probably won't pitch at all before Spring Training.

The Twins hold a $9.25m club option for 2013.

Information like this takes about 13 seconds to find on the internet. In this case, Cot's Baseball Contracts is a pretty reliable source.

[QUOTE=USAFChief;41814]
    Information like this takes about 13 seconds to find on the internet. QUOTE]

It was late and I was tired. Hats off to you for being a solid personal Admin assistant and looking that up for me. Keep up the good work.

Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    Hats off to you for being a solid personal Admin assistant and looking that up for me. Keep up the good work.
    No problem. I like to help posters who struggle to keep up with the conversation. Would you like some help with using the "reply with quote" button, too?

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    No problem. I like to help posters who struggle to keep up with the conversation. Would you like some help with using the "reply with quote" button, too?
    Nope. But if you are not busy, I might have you look up some other stuff for me. Oh - and you could also run through prior threads and double check my spelling/grammar. Every message board needs a guy like you to chime in with their internet superiority vs. just participating in the conversation. Keep up the great work!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I personally think depending on Gibson for next season would be a mistake, let him get low leverage innings at AAA for a majority of the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast