Thread: Article: Notes from Day 1 in Beloit

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Notes from Day 1 in Beloit

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Travis asked me, “Do you know who else has Vargas’s body type?” Immediately, I responded, “David Ortiz.” We laughed at thinking the same thing, but it is true.
    And then a tickle fight broke out...

Just kidding Seth. Great report. I have to get down there one of these days.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for the trip update Seth. I appreciate the observations on the players.

I agree with you, waking up the morning after eating a wisc. Cheeseburger has to be viewed as a good thing. Do they give you guidelines on the snapperburger? Mustard only or do they allow ketchup on there as well?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats two encouraging reports on Sano's development. Keith Law had this to say about Sano in his chat (2) yesterday when asked about his high strike out rate:
    "He's really young, and I'm hearing the quality of his ABs is good and improving."

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up, thanks. I would love to get over there sometime, have thought about it for a few years. I didn't know it was in jeopardy of moving. "However, the other theme from this discussion was the due to lack of attendance and the need for a new stadium, they would completely understand if the Twins decided to move elsewhere." -- sounds like those are the two reasons they might move? Was attendance poor? Is the stadium midway-ish? I hope I can make it out there next year, if they are still around.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think it would be wonderful if one of the farm teams setup shop in MN. Imagine if the Saints were replaced with a A or AA team and got their downtown St. Paul stadium, what a blast it would be to see Sano and other prospects right here in town.

I've never been to Beloit, but I saw the Snappers play the Cedar Rapids Kernels back in June. Great facility, and an hour closer to the twin cities than Beloit, only 2.5 hours for me. Player access was not a problem, just wait outside the locker rooms, every player walks outside after the game. Moves are always tough, but Cedar Rapids makes a ton of sense. I talked to a scout, he said that Beloit was by far the worst facility in the Midwest League.

I agree about the players - very approachable. Especially nice were AJ Petterson and Nate Roberts, both took the time to talk to my boys about baseball. I've seen players talk to kids before because they know they're supposed to talk to kids. AJ and Nate talked to my boys because they wanted to talk about baseball with kids. Hope to see them again in August when the Snappers come to Cedar Rapids again, but I'm guessing Nate is on his way to Ft. Myers soon given his age and performance.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    Sioux Falls would be a great place for a Twins minor league team.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I thinkl Sioux Falls is out of the running due to geography. Long way to drive from Cedar Rapids, much less Fort Wayne.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    I thinkl Sioux Falls is out of the running due to geography. Long way to drive from Cedar Rapids, much less Fort Wayne.
    Rochester is much closer to the rest of the Midwest.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I always enjoy your road trip reports -- thanks so much. But your food line-up sounds like you may need to keep a cardiologist on speed dial -- be careful out there!

We made the trip last year. Five and a half hours, very easy drive. Great, great trip, the staff at Beloit were wonderful for my son and me, wish they had more local fan support.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just came home from Beliot. Watched the snappers play on Wednesday and saw Sano hit #21. His hits DO make a different sound! Zach Jones was very impressive as well. I watched as he consistent hit 97/98 on the scouts radar guns. His breaking pitch really had the scouts talking and making gestures to each other. Fun trip their, enjoyed it a lot. Seth, what can you tell us about the Jones kid?

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe I haven't been there since they became the Twins affiliate. And I'm almost sure I won't this year, which is just stupid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I can't believe I haven't been there since they became the Twins affiliate. And I'm almost sure I won't this year, which is just stupid.
    Come on over today! Jim Crikket's making the drive from Cedar Rapids. Jeremy Nygaard is here. It's a good time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Bratsch View Post
    Just came home from Beliot. Watched the snappers play on Wednesday and saw Sano hit #21. His hits DO make a different sound! Zach Jones was very impressive as well. I watched as he consistent hit 97/98 on the scouts radar guns. His breaking pitch really had the scouts talking and making gestures to each other. Fun trip their, enjoyed it a lot. Seth, what can you tell us about the Jones kid?
    Thanks for sharing! Sano has several hits these first two games. A couple of RBI singles last night. A double the night before. Rosario has five hits these last two games... and 11 hits in his last four games. Just unreal.

But yes, Zach Jones has everyone talking... 97/98, good breaking ball. Fourth round pick just this year. It's hard to believe he fell that far with what he's throwing up there now!! Hoping to see him pitch!!