Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins vs Red Sox, 08-05-2012, 12:35pm

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Nishioka. Well, this should be interesting.
    Valencia= bad trade for this alone.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Gardy?
    Blackburn was from Oklahoma as well.

Nishioka. Well, this should be interesting.
    I had a feeling he was going to get the call. His numbers have been pretty abysmal at AAA this year, but I guess the Twins should try to get some kind of return on their $15 million investment. Looks like Carroll is at third until Plouffe gets back.

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    How to tell, if you're Danny Valencia, that your former employer really, really didn't want you around any more: They'd prefer to play a light hitting 38 yr old at 3b, giving yet another opportunity to Alexi Casilla (who couldn't keep his second base job over said 38 yr old), and they'd prefer Nishioka on the 25 man.

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Hell of a catch, Revere-zee.

Ben can play some gold glove CF........but he's not allowed to because it'll 'devastate' the current CF

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Somehow I don't think Denard catches that one. Hey, Ben got it to second on one hop!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestTwinsFan View Post
    I had a feeling he was going to get the call. His numbers have been pretty abysmal at AAA this year, but I guess the Twins should try to get some kind of return on their $15 million investment. Looks like Carroll is at third until Plouffe gets back.
    I had the opposite feeling. My son asked me to guess who just got called up and Nishi was the last possible name I could come up with, and even then I was aghast when told it had happened. Nishi's sunk cost is entirely unsalvageable unless they can get a buyout deal/coupled with a return to Japan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How to tell, if you're Danny Valencia, that your former employer really, really didn't want you around any more: They'd prefer to play a light hitting 38 yr old at 3b, giving yet another opportunity to Alexi Casilla (who couldn't keep his second base job over said 38 yr old), and they'd prefer Nishioka on the 25 man.
    Well, I don't know if they really prefer Nishi on the roster to Danny V, but they got some return for him, so there's that. It will be interesting to see what happens when Plouffe comes off the DL. They could send Nishi back, they could DFA Casilla, they could send a pitcher to Rochester. In the big picture, it doesn't matter much, but the Twins have to decide who to cut ties with, who to showcase, and who to give chances to. Of course, there could be more waiver deals to clear more 40-man space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Ben can play some gold glove CF........but he's not allowed to because it'll 'devastate' the current CF
    It certainly isn't imminent, but I've said for awhile that the Twins should move Span. Putting Revere in center is one reason, getting an extra base bat in a corner OF position is another, and the fact that their best prospects in the high minors are OFs all figure to be reasons to move Denard, probably in the offseason.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with the Valencia deal. He hasn't been performing for the Twins, and any chance to get rid of a headcase like him I will take, especially if we can get a return like we did. Yes, the guy is a 21-year old OF in a league that usually only holds 18-20 year olds, but he was signed late in 2011 and has been raking so far in the GCL. Now, we will see if his stuff translates to the higher minors. By the way, unless his bat comes along with him, his ceiling appears to be a Mastro-type player.

The problem I have right now is that the Twins aren't scoring any runs today, and they are giving up too many. Blackie should be taken out of the rotation, but I don't think the Twins have anyone to replace him.

Blog Entries

Edit

It took roughly a week for Valencia to play himself out of the lineup again.
    It took roughly a week for Valencia to play himself out of the organization.

Blog Entries

Mauer's arm

It's really apparent that teams don't respect Mauer behind the plate anymore.
    I would attribute almost all of the stolen bases to the pitchers. However, I don't see the snap on Mauer's throws that I saw through 2010 (he hardly caught last year).

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I had the opposite feeling. My son asked me to guess who just got called up and Nishi was the last possible name I could come up with, and even then I was aghast when told it had happened. Nishi's sunk cost is entirely unsalvageable unless they can get a buyout deal/coupled with a return to Japan.
    Yeah, it's not the move I would've made....I just figured the Twins were probably going to try to get him back up here at some point. I agree with you about trying to buy out his contract though....the Twins need to do everything they can to make that happen.

Ben's limp noodle arm gunned a doubled play from the warning track. 19 game hitting streak. Soon to be near the top of the AL batting title.

Where are your tears now?

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestTwinsFan View Post
    Yeah, it's not the move I would've made....I just figured the Twins were probably going to try to get him back up here at some point. I agree with you about trying to buy out his contract though....the Twins need to do everything they can to make that happen.
    Didn't Nishioka have a bit of a "hot streak" at some point recently? I seem to recall some tweets and Dick/Bert talking about some good hitting games. May have just been very temporary.

Didn't Nishioka have a bit of a "hot streak" at some point recently? I seem to recall some tweets and Dick/Bert talking about some good hitting games. May have just been very temporary.
    I think it was more of a lukewarm streak.

Blog Entries
    Well, that put a little fear in the Sox. The two runs allowed by the end of the bullpen guys ended up deciding the game. Also, the Twins had a runner on second with zero outs three times and once with one out (the Mastro pickoff) and only got him home once.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 08-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    Ben's limp noodle arm gunned a doubled play from the warning track. 19 game hitting streak. Soon to be near the top of the AL batting title.

Where are your tears now?
    He still has an awful arm. I like the rest of his game though.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    By the way, unless his bat comes along with him, his ceiling appears to be a Mastro-type player.
    The problem with such a ceiling is such players are readily available on the waiver wire or as minimum wage free-agents in the offseason. Outfielders lacking power, infielders with a glove but no stick, pitchers possessing only one above-average pitch - unless something else about them stands out, a trade for them is kind of pointless. I hope the Twins see a higher ceiling in Pineda than that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123