Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Danny Valencia Traded to the Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterGroove View Post
    A move that's good for Valencia and the Twins. I wish him luck and hope gets a shot in Boston.

So, is Hicks going to get Valencia's 40-man spot?
    Unless rules have changed, which is possible, you don't want to waste an option on a guy like Hicks, who stands very little chance of opening for the Twins next year. I believe the "new" year starts sometime in the fall, and Hicks can be added then to start his options in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    Unless rules have changed, which is possible, you don't want to waste an option on a guy like Hicks, who stands very little chance of opening for the Twins next year. I believe the "new" year starts sometime in the fall, and Hicks can be added then to start his options in 2013.
    IF it happens to Aaron (or Hermann/Gibson/etc), you are initially added ONLY to 40 man roster. If he's not sent back to the minors....he doesnt use an option. A Sept callup, of someone just added, doesnt use up 1 of the 3, as its basically a free look at someone. Its what Twins did with Liam Hendriks last Sept. If you're not sent back to minors, a player like Dozier doesnt use an option yr.
    This is why you only add someone during the year if they are called up from minors. No other reason to do it till offseason......also why you dont add someone to 40 man till you have to (like Dozier this past winter)
    NOW, you could be worried about service time from Hicks & others....which starts at the callup date. 2 types of service times....free agency & arbitration
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    There have been reports in the past with his attitude, there have been articles on it and I believe Nick Nelson (who has his sources) at one point said this was the case as well..
    I cannot speak of Nick's sources. But don't you find it interesting that there are a lot of "reports about attitude" of players who the Twins got rid of ( Lohse, Romero, Garza, Neshek, Slowey, Luke Hughes etc) ? I do not believe what the mainstream media says because they are fed those things by the Twins... So unless I hear from a person who has personal experiences with a Twins' player (or any other person for that matter), I find it very simplistic and unfair to present one-sided points of view.

And I suspect on the next telecast DickNBert will start talking about how Danny did not fit and how about "a change of scenery" will help everyone. (Trade happen during the game so they did not have the script yet)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    From JoeC's trade announcement blurb in the STrib:

“It wasn’t a matter where we were down on him or anything else,” (Rob) Antony said. “It was just a situation where this might be a better opportunity for him.”

Yeah...you weren't down on him.
    Sniff. The selfless generosity. They're all heart. They were still high on his future, but they loved him so much they let him go.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I posted the following in the post on Nishi. Read into his comments what you want. Also, the player I saw wasn't someone who was doing everything he could to impress the Twins or anyone else.

Before leaving for vacation, I watched nearly half of Rochester's games the past couple weeks. A couple games before Valencia was called up, he allowed two balls to go right under his glove about a step to his left. The first night, the official scorer changed it to an error after initially calling it a hit. A day later, the exact same play they again called a hit. He also grounded into two double plays that day, running about 2/3 speed to first base. I suspect his comments when talking to Jim Mandelaro didn't help with Twins management, when he was quoted as saying he was playing for 29 teams other than the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I cannot speak of Nick's sources. But don't you find it interesting that there are a lot of "reports about attitude" of players who the Twins got rid of ( Lohse, Romero, Garza, Neshek, Slowey, Luke Hughes etc) ? I do not believe what the mainstream media says because they are fed those things by the Twins... So unless I hear from a person who has personal experiences with a Twins' player (or any other person for that matter), I find it very simplistic and unfair to present one-sided points of view.

And I suspect on the next telecast DickNBert will start talking about how Danny did not fit and how about "a change of scenery" will help everyone. (Trade happen during the game so they did not have the script yet)
    If you do not believe mainstream media, why in the world would you trust me if I said I had a source? No, I do not personally know D.V.. However, I do know people that work with the Twins or have worked with the Twins, and getting info out of them. I knew that D.V. had attitude issues when he was working his way up through the system. Where is that documented? No clue, but it was widely known....or maybe well known down here (Ft. Myers). Someone earlier on this thread said it best - he acts like A Rod without the talent.

How bout this undocumented tidbit from a source I will not reveal: Cuddy signed elsewhere bc Gardy lost the clubhouse last season....and #1 on that list of guys Cuddy blamed....yes, Valencia.

Did you hear Gladden's reaction to the trade? He basically said good riddance as well - I trust his opinion is based on clubhouse stuff, not on field play.

Anyway, I sound like a total douche know it all....you can believe me if you want, after all, its just a game.

Dealing your only 3B reeks of 'cant wait to get rid of him'.
    Reports have been out on Dannys attitude for yrs. Was suspended in Ft Myers one year.....others have said he wanted MLB respect from the moment he stepped onto Target Field.
    I listened to every interview he did as a weekly guest w/Patrick Reusse last yr & it was obvious Danny was his own biggest fan.
    Did nothing the last year and half to try & improve.....just thought he had arrived.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I think people are overthinking this trade.it doesn't matter if people think he was a jerk, or if Grady was out to get him, or if he was misunderstood. He was underperforming and there wasn't a starting spot for him, on the Twins or at AAA. The Twins want Escobar, Floirman, And Nishioka to play everyday because the Twins will have a spot or two opening up in middle infield over the next year or two. Which means Danny would have had to split DH time with Burroughs and hoped he played well enough to be a bench bat with the Twins in September. There was no future for him here so they did him the favor, traded him and got a little something back. wish him the best.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts

Didn't Morneau have "attitude" issues for awhile? Twins kept him around. Lohse took a baseball bat to the managers door, hard not to hear about that. I don't think they really ever questioned Garzas attitude, Gardy wasn't a fan of that trade from the beginning and still mentions it from time to time I believe. I don't recall them crapping on Neshek or Hughes as well or ever questioned their attitudes.

Make no mistake about it, the reason Romero, Neshek, Slowey, Hughes and Valencia were all let go is because they just weren't that good anymore and they had better in house replacements. Lohse I agree they grew tired of/he grew tired of them, and Garza wasn't exactly flipped for scraps at the time as Delmon was highly regarded, plus that never did sit well with Gardy and was a gross mistake by Bill Smith.

I know your thing is to blame the organization for incompetence at every turn, but if a bunch of people were saying Valencia had attitude issues there is a good chance he in fact had issues. You shouldn't really be questioning anyone's sources to be honest, since you weren't able to back up the whole "The Twins wouldn't trade Willingham for Bundy" straight up claim.

Lastly, the Twins aren't the only team in baseball to do this, as I mentioned above, if you want to be a bit of a punk on the diamond/crappy teamate you better make damn sure you aren't easily replaceable. If you are an easily replaceable player you better play the game the right way and not be a burden otherwise teams will stop giving you chances.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The window for trading Valencia by waivers is small.

This is my understanding. You can place a player on waivers once in August with the ability to revoke. The second go around a claiming team receives the player and receives his contract. No compensation is involved.

The Twins put up Valencia at a time where he was playing on the major league roster and flashed a little success. The waiver period is one day. The Red Sox were awarded the waiver. At this point the Twins will have 48 hours to make a deal with the Red Sox. This leaves the Twins with two choices.

1) Make the deal with the Red Sox for the best they will offer.

2) Retain Valencia who will need to remain on the 40 man roster. He may also be eligible for arbitration.

They do not have a second chance at a waiver trade. They can not negotiate with other teams.

The Twins chose the trade option. Hard to blame them.

Also from what I have read from Red Sox fans, they HATE the trade.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=roger;42795

Before leaving for vacation, I watched nearly half of Rochester's games the past couple weeks. A couple games before Valencia was called up, he allowed two balls to go right under his glove about a step to his left. The first night, the official scorer changed it to an error after initially calling it a hit. [/QUOTE]

No idea how Danny carried himself around the clubhouse. But... This quote is exactly what I typically saw from Valencia throughout 2011. I saw him reach way too much. To me it looked like he played with I don't give a blank attitude.

I got tired of it. Delmon was another... I couldnt stand watching Delmon... Half assed baseball... No place for it. Seriously... I like the players on this squad typically. Disliking players is not my style. Delmon I couldn't stand and Valencia was sliding down the same path.

I was hoping the AAA trip would make him more engaged. First play back... He laid back on a charity hop and allowed a run to score in the first inning. Didn't seem to make a dent.

I have no idea about his attitude. However... He was sent to AAA with no replacement for him. Now he has been traded even though the Twins have no idea if Plouffe will stick. You don't have to look very hard to read between the lines.

Gardy will tolerate Butera and what he brings offensively. Valencia is tossed when he collapses. In other words... I have no direct knowledge of what is attitude is like... However... It's pretty easy to believe without direct knowledge that an attitude issue was there and fairly large.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I hate this trade too, it sucks, more OFers less infielders says it all.

So I trust that both of you either know Danny Valencia personally or know someone in the Twins' clubhouse who knows him to speak first hand of his attitude...

Please enlighten us.

Really? You need to be enlightened on this? That's like asking for evidence that Mark McGuire used steroids?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchans24 View Post
    Really? You need to be enlightened on this? That's like asking for evidence that Mark McGuire used steroids?
    What is this board's obsession with this approach to things?

lalalala.jpg

Also the people complaining that we got "another Revere/Mastrionni" are a bit ridiculous. Yes, Pineda projects to be the same type of player, but by the time he is ready for the majors there is a good chance that one or both of those players will be gone or on the way out anyways.

The nice thing about Pineda is that he looks to be a legit CF fielding and arm wise, you can never have enough of those in any system and if he develops it just makes our current OF crop that much more rich and deep (allowing us to trade some down the road to fill other needs)

I am actually pretty surprised we got someone like this for Valencia.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess we are supposed to expect high-upside arms when trading players that aren't in the future plans of a last place team?

Valencia is the definition of no value - hits like a middle infielder but can't field a corner infield spot. Who cares what the guy they received profiles as...it's a possible asset attained from a non-asset. Even on the slim chance Pineda makes it to MLB when Revere is there and you have "duplication"...so what? You've developed a MLB player out of thin air, and you have an even greater asset to flip for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by reginald maudling's shin View Post
    i guess we are supposed to expect high-upside arms when trading players that aren't in the future plans of a last place team?

Valencia is the definition of no value - hits like a middle infielder but can't field a corner infield spot. Who cares what the guy they received profiles as...it's a possible asset attained from a non-asset. Even on the slim chance pineda makes it to mlb when revere is there and you have "duplication"...so what? You've developed a mlb player out of thin air, and you have an even greater asset to flip for something else.
    amen

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I'm a bit confused on how people can blame Gardy on this. Gardy played him in 154 games last year - gave him over 600 PA - and he responded with an 86 OPS+ and a negative WAR. And then Gardy gave him 6 weeks and let his put up a .494 OPS before he was sent down. Seems like Gardy gave him all the opportunities in the world. Far more than he should've frankly. And yet some people honestly think he was traded b/c Gardy didn't like his attitude? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Not up to his 2010 standards, but he's certainly better than he's shown this year.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't have been productive here. Tough to be when you're in Gardy's doghouse.

I remember when David Ortiz was in TK's doghouse. Doug Mientkiewich (sp?) was our savior.

Oh well, **** happens

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast