Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Nishi

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Return of Nishi

Heeeee's Baaaa-aaack.

Can someone who has been paying more attention than I to Rochester tell me about this "hot streak" he's been on for the last month?

I have to assume he's coming up as a utility infielder, right? Carroll goes to 3B full time and Casilla to 2B?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    When is Plouffe due back? I imagine Nishi won't be in the majors for long and at least he provides MI depth (something Valencia did not). He can't possibly do as poor as the first time right?

Looks like he hit ..295 with a .695 OPS in July, not exactly a "hot" streak to get real hot and bothered about.

The scholarship program is BACK baby......Nishi, Blackburn, Butera!!!!!!!!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    When is Plouffe due back? I imagine Nishi won't be in the majors for long and at least he provides MI depth (something Valencia did not). He can't possibly do as poor as the first time right?

Looks like he hit ..295 with a .695 OPS in July, not exactly a "hot" streak to get real hot and bothered about.
    Yesterday, Rob Antony said Plouffe would still be out at least a week- but would most likely the first player back off the DL.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    The scholarship program is BACK baby......Nishi, Blackburn, Butera!!!!!!!!
    This must be a business decision. Why not just call up Escobar now?
    Last edited by jokin; 08-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Certainly not excited about Nishioka, but he's on the 40-man and Plouffe should be back within a week. However, Plouffe has been a week away or less since he got jammed two weeks ago. Valencia's trade seems to make it a certainty that Plouffe will be manning third the rest of this year and to start next season.

The most depressing thing about this is that the Twins had no one else who warranted a recall in the system. (INF edition)

assume Escobar moves from 3B to SS & Florimon from SS to 2B with Sean Burroughs playing 3B.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with this move. It's not like anyone else is banging down the door. I might rather see Florimon, but it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not sure this means that Nishi is ranked higher in the Twins mind. If he's coming to sit on the bench it might mean they would rather have Escobar and Florimon playing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I don't have a problem with this move. It's not like anyone else is banging down the door. I might rather see Florimon, but it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not sure this means that Nishi is ranked higher in the Twins mind. If he's coming to sit on the bench it might mean they would rather have Escobar and Florimon playing every day.
    I forgot about Escobar, but I think you are right, they want to see him playing every day.
    I have zero faith in Florimon, so if he contributes anything someday in the majors I will be pleasantly suprsied.

Blog Entries
    assume Escobar moves from 3B to SS & Florimon from SS to 2B with Sean Burroughs playing 3B.
    Boy, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe this move was made to free up space in Rochester - to get Escobar to SS.

So how has Nishi been doing for the last couple months. Anyone know?

Liked 1,216 Times in 552 Posts
    //repost from game thread//

How to tell, if you're Danny Valencia, that your former employer really, really didn't want you around any more: They'd prefer to play a light hitting 38 yr old at 3b, giving yet another opportunity to Alexi Casilla (who couldn't keep his second base job over said 38 yr old), and epic fail Tsuyoshi Nishioka on the 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Boy, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe this move was made to free up space in Rochester - to get Escobar to SS.

So how has Nishi been doing for the last couple months. Anyone know?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I heard that the Twins want to give Escobar some playing time at AAA, because he didn't get much when he was with the Sox. So Nishi was really the only guy they had available.

Leaves ROC with 23 players....wonder if there is a promotion or 2 in the works???

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I heard that the Twins want to give Escobar some playing time at AAA, because he didn't get much when he was with the Sox. So Nishi was really the only guy they had available.
    So, their best move was helping the minor league team out and adding a $3M benchwarmer to the MLB roster. In this lost season, what would have been wrong with rotating 3-4 guys in the IF that you actually might want to evaluate at the big league level for consideration on next year's team. They have to figure out a way to rescind the Nishi scholarship this year.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Leaves ROC with 23 players....wonder if there is a promotion or 2 in the works???
    I knew there was a silver lining in here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Plouffe could be the player back when they drop from 13-12 pitchers.....tho it sounded like Gardy wanted it done sooner than later (another wk for Trev??)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I knew there was a silver lining in here somewhere.
    With the Twins.....they will probably just activate Mike Hollimon or something like that

Burroughs hasnt played for a wk....not sure if there is an injury
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    With the Twins.....they will probably just activate Mike Hollimon or something like that

Burroughs hasnt played for a wk....not sure if there is an injury
    Killjoy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast