Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun With Numbers "A Positive Twist"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stolen from tonight's game broadcast, but thought it was worth sharing here in case folks missed it: Since the end of July last year (I think the 29th was the date they gave), the Willinghammer leads the league in home runs with 45.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    Cdog, I'd love to read your comment but some State Farm ad is blocking it.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    Oh good, the ad moved now. That is an impressive and encouraging stat.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 341 Times in 226 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    You really seem to be missing the point of this thread. If you're incapable of saying anything positive, probably best to stay away from this one.
    I'd like to think of it as a reality check.
    Last edited by jokin; 08-06-2012 at 09:25 PM.

75-87 would be a nice finishing mark considering where the team started, but I wonder if Sept call-ups may change your record?

The run differential has to be +10 or so since the horrid start. We were minus -80 almost after opening day.

I don't know what exactly to think about 2013:

Diamond is certanly promising, but can he realistically put up a 2.91 ERA again?

I am starting to like our line up more and more, if Plouffe can continue his improvement, it could be a real nice line-up.

And why in the world haven't we extended Morneau before we can't afford him? Multi year contract when his value was low would have made sense. Waiting now is going to drive up the price a lot I fear.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post

And why in the world haven't we extended Morneau before we can't afford him? Multi year contract when his value was low would have made sense. Waiting now is going to drive up the price a lot I fear.

I agree. He's much more of a risk under his current cost, but if you added 2 years on at roughly half of what he is making now (made up figure, no idea what he is worth), he is more affordable and easier to move if he regresses a bit or we simply want to get younger at 1B. If he continues to rake like he has been these last few games (very small sample size I realize, but he is approaching his career BA) he's going to be getting closer to his $14 M a year value anyway

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Pedro Hernandez debut for Rochester tonight, demonstrating that he has the pitch-to-contact concept down pat:

2I/10H/6ER/2K/.625OBA/27.00ERA/40 strikes in 60 pitches

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    why exactly would Morneau want to extend? He extends now, he's leaving significant dollars on the table. He knows he is returning to normal, just like we do. He plays out his contract and does decent next year and someone gives him a nice deal.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Pedro Hernandez debut for Rochester tonight, demonstrating that he has the pitch-to-contact concept down pat:

2I/10H/6ER/2K/.625OBA/27.00ERA/40 strikes in 60 pitches
    Here's a reality check, it's almost as if one of the site's proprietors didn't ask you to move along.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Jeff Gray > Jokin

Revere has broken the dry spell of first round picks who haven't had much of an impact for the Twins. Hopefully Hicks and Gibson can both help next year.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Here's a reality check, it's almost as if one of the site's proprietors didn't ask you to move along.
    Wow, I think someone might want to consider switching to decaf and/or Red Bull Light.

OK, how about this one. The Twins now have the best one-two catcher/pitchers in all of baseball (with Rivera debuting tonight in Roc.):

Butera 1IP/0H/0ER/1BB/1K/1.00 WHIP 17 pitches- 9 strikes....clocked at 94MPH
    Rivera 1IP/1H/0ER/0BB/1K/1.00 WHIP 10 pitches-10 strikes

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Jeff Gray > Jokin

Revere has broken the dry spell of first round picks who haven't had much of an impact for the Twins. Hopefully Hicks and Gibson can both help next year.
    Funny. I seem to recall that you were politely asked to refrain from personal attacks.

The Houston Astros are 4 and 30 in their past 34 games.

Just remember even during our awful April it could always be, much, much, much, much worse.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I can even name 1 player on the Houston Astros today. . . . Checking Roster . . . . And the only players I recognize are on their DL. I'm impressed they've won 4 out of 34.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Houston Astros are 4 and 30 in their past 34 games.

Just remember even during our awful April it could always be, much, much, much, much worse.
    Holy goodness! I tend to pay less attention to the NL, knew they were bad of course, but thought you had to have made a typo or were exaggerating for effect. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Funny. I seem to recall that you were politely asked to refrain from personal attacks.
    I apologize. Just didn't like seeing the one positive thread here get derailed repeatedly.

How about this:

Jeff Gray > Nishioka?

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Holy goodness! I tend to pay less attention to the NL, knew they were bad of course, but thought you had to have made a typo or were exaggerating for effect. Just wow.
    The Rangers, Angels, A's and Mariners must be licking their chops.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
    I don't think I can even name 1 player on the Houston Astros today. . . . Checking Roster . . . . And the only players I recognize are on their DL. I'm impressed they've won 4 out of 34.
    Trying to be continually impressed and positive, good things can come in 4s, the Astros once had the Killer Bs (Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, Beltran), who sadly, are all (figuratively) dead and gone. But now, the Twins have the 4 Killer D's in their starting pitching staff (Diamond, DeVries, Deduno, Deunsing) and these 4 have almost lowered the Twins SP ERA by 1.50 since their insertion in the rotation.

In the meantime, continuing to stay positive, the Twins are #4 (in the Central Division and in MLB ballpark rankings)! Even the Indians and 'Stros parks can't touch TF. The Astros have been cursed since they signed a 30 year deal with Enron, just before the biggest financial scandal in history hit the company. Their park looks good on TV and I always thought that playing in the "Field Formerly Known as Enron" or "The Juice Box" made all the losing at least somewhat palatable, but nope.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...est-ballparks/

The NY Times rates ballparks:

4) Target Field
    16) Progressive Field (Cle.)
    20) Minute Maid Park (Hou.)

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    About to lose tonight. I reccomend checking out the highlights, top of the 12th, runner on 1st, Washington bunts to move him over, hijinks occur, run scores and the bunter ends up on 3rd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About to lose tonight. I reccomend checking out the highlights, top of the 12th, runner on 1st, Washington bunts to move him over, hijinks occur, run scores and the bunter ends up on 3rd.
    I will hope for black and white, fast choppy video, and old-timey slapstick movie music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast