Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Ryan Must React

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't want to bash GM Smith but we traded Young, Hardy, Ramos, and Slowey for relief pitchers. Individually, I think all the trades were defensible but as a group, that's a pretty bad return.
    The Ramos and Hardy trades were indefensible on their own. Trading Young and Slowey for nothing were defensible, but it would have been nice to get slightly more than that. (I'm not sure we did.)

Anthony Slama is not even in major league camp. There's no chance the Twins are considering him for a bullpen spot to open this season, and I'd imagine there's very, very little chance he ever pitches for the Twins again. Whether you agree with them or not, they've never thought particularly highly of him.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Trading Young and Slowey for nothing were defensible
    in which way?
    other than the fact that they were not liked by Gardy?
    I'd rather see them trade Gardy than those two...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

It is what it is. I'd play the cards dealt because Twins teams over the past decade have done more with less. Remember all the complaining on the web when Joe Nathan was anointed as the closer? Holy moley! I thought a rabid group of fans with pitchforks ans torches was going to sack the dome. That deal turned out just fine. This bevvy of righthanders they've got might surprise...like that little know Breslow kid did a few years ago.

Not to high on Gardy either. Stubborn ways were o.k. when winning but a few more losing seasons and the chorus will be louder for his hide. Waiting to see a few games.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Rewind to 2004 Spring Training. The Twins had 2 left over pitchers (Romero and Rincon) and a bunch of "misfits", including a guy who they designated as their closer who was decent as a late inning reliever, an injury risk but not "established" (Nathan), 3 waiver wire/cheap signs (Guerrier, Roa, Fultz) and a kid (Crain). That pen on paper was very very iffy. Let me know if you disagree.
    Nathan had not been "decent" as a late-inning reliever, he was flat-out dominant. The prior year in San Francisco he'd posted a 2.96 ERA and 83/33 K/BB ratio in 79 innings while holding hitters to a .186 average. Granted, shifting him into the closer role was an experimental risk, but that's the kind of guy I'll take my chances on. Romero and Rincon were both established big-league relievers and Crain was a Top 100 prospect in baseball. That bullpen might've been somewhat iffy, but it doesn't compare to this year's group, which has one player who was successful in the major leagues last year. One.

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    That's probably a good reason not to "take an aggressive step" with a trade for relief pitchers, at least for a team in the Twins' position.
    I see a lot of comments like this. It's interesting that I'm the one getting accused of negativity when in fact I seem to be one of the few who actually believes the team could contend this year. It's because of that fact that this kind of inaction frustrates me.

Do I believe one relief pitcher is going to be the difference-maker for this team? No. But having an established guy that you can somewhat count on to complement Perkins in the late innings gives you a lot more margin for error with some of the other guys they'll be trying out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I think it odd people put credence in spring training, but not years of performance in the minors and majors....They blew it by not taking advantage of the oversupply of RH RPs when they had the chance. Now, I'm not interested, even a little, in trading a potential MLB position player for a RP. I think this team is unlikely to be contending, so let's not sell the future for the present. That time was 3-10 years ago, and they Ryan didn't do it then to close gaps on very good to great teams. I don't think it's likely he does so on a team that looks iffy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm curious who the Rangers would want from the Twins in return for Koji. I agree that Koji would be a great addition to the bullpen but I'm not sure the price is right in terms of who the Twins would trade to get him.
    Last edited by Pitz; 02-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    This is a Market where much of the Media tows the Company line. You will not get an alternate view from the likes of Phil Mackey. The Centric Guys will give you a point of view which you may not see with the main stream media. If you want Kool Aid, there's plenty to chose from.

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    in which way?
    I'd rather see them trade Gardy than those two...
    Unfortunately, Gardy wasn't going anywhere based on one bad season. Slowey seemed to have annoyed more than just Gardy, although it might have been just Gardy and Souhan. The case could be made that he had burned bridges and had to go, and nobody was going to give up much to get him.

Young's salary was starting to become significant and he doesn't do enough well to justify it. I would have preferred to see him in RF to see if his arm could offset some of his defensive shortcomings (like it did for Cuddyer), but he didn't hit enough to justify a spot as a DH or corner OF.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick,

Terrific article. I could not agree more!!

lets hope that Terry Doyle can pick up a bunch of productive innings it would be a pleasant event if a rule 5 pick proved to be a good grab

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Sterling View Post
    Anthony Slama is not even in major league camp.
    Neither is anybody they'd sign or trade for.

Quote Originally Posted by James Richter View Post

Neither is anybody they'd sign or trade for.
    The people who are expecting them to sign or trade for somebody are likely going to be as disappointed as you will be expecting them to give Anthony Slama a spot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12