Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vikings Stadium

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries

New Vikings Stadium

I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Caribou Field with the Hormel Half-Time Show every game, training facilities sponsored by Medtronic, food court by SuperValu.

Offensive line sponsored by 3M Post-Its. Quarterback sponsored by... Well, nobody probably wants to sponsor a Vikings QB.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Frosted Flakes Field

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Jucy Lucy Stadium.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    US Bank? Mall of America again? General Mills?
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    *Battle Your Tail Off Field

*only if I win the powerball tonight

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No High school or small colleges allowed stadium?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Spamalot

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    There was a strib article about the 3 most likely candidates, Target was one of them.

Retractable roof would be great - hopefully they open it once in a while, football should be played outside.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's All Chilly's Fault Field

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).
    I'd prefer that too, but it aint gonna happen

Retractable is the best hope for any chance of having some games outdoors

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the current concern in the NFL about safety and concussions, how about the UnitedHealth Group Field?

As a part of the sponsorship agreement the Vikings can negotiate free CAT scans for their players

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
    I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post

I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.
    We just wouldn't support an MLS team. The Thunder never drew much and the Stars don't either. Both teams won league titles and at times played very nice soccer. I'd love to see it but i'd be sad when they folded or moved in 2 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Boondoggle Stadium
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
    2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
    3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
    2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
    3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.
    1. The pulltabs aren't fully implemented and they did put several back-up sources in the bill. Worst-case they will go back and tweak/add to those, which were all sports/stadium related.

2. The Vikings need to get off of this. They knew the baseball was an important part of the public use of the stadium and if it means the seats are a few feet further back, too bad.

3. This is kind of an elephant in the room. But it's still the most popular league by far. Are we really willing to say 'let the NFL move to LA' because of what 'might' happen down the road? I think any 'major' fallout is still at least a decade away and the NFL will do everything they can to stay in front of it.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M
    What's not to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast