Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Twins vs Mariners, 08-18-2012, 8:10pm

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Twins vs Mariners, 08-18-2012, 8:10pm

    Twins:
    Jamey Carroll 2B

    Darin Mastroianni CF
    Joe Mauer C
    Josh Willingham DH
    Justin Morneau 1B
    Ryan Doumit LF
    Trevor Plouffe 3B
    Matt Carson RF
    Pedro Florimon SS
    (Scott Diamond P)

    Mariners:
    Dustin Ackley 2B
    Trayvon Robinson LF
    Jesus Montero C
    Miguel Olivo DH
    Kyle Seager 3B
    Justin Smoak 1B
    Casper Wells RF
    Michael Saunders CF
    Brendan Ryan SS
    (Jason Vargas P)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    No Span, No Revere.

    At the time of both injuries they didn't seem that serious. Span finished out the inning after his dive. Is this a case of the Medical staff being overly cautious? I heard Gardy talk about this on Friday, he said the trainers take them onto the field and put them through specific routines and then it is in the players hands to tell them if they can play. Are Ben and Denard really that dinged up? Or is they just a case of don't rush them back onto the field when we 10+ games out and it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme?

  3. #3
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    No Span, No Revere.

    1) At the time of both injuries they didn't seem that serious.

    2) Span finished out the inning after his dive.


    3) Is this a case of the Medical staff being overly cautious?

    4) I heard Gardy talk about this on Friday, he said the trainers take them onto the field and put them through specific routines and then it is in the players hands to tell them if they can play. Are Ben and Denard really that dinged up?

    5) Or is they just a case of don't rush them back onto the field when we 10+ games out, and

    6) it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme?


    Wow, 6 bum trip flashbacks to 2011 in one post!

    Well done minn55441, well done.

  4. #4
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Why take any risk at all at this point? These games don't matter enough to take any chance of further injury.

    On the other hand, I would DL Span and bring up Parmelee, then use Parmelee to give additional rest to Morneau, Mauer and Willingham. We want these players to be at their best next year.

    Helluva a throw by Carson to get that guy at third.

  5. #5
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Roll call. Is anyone else watching the game now? I am having to endure the Mariners announcers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,742
    Like
    58
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Just checking the game now glunn, after last night I'm only checking in time to time.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

  7. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why take any risk at all at this point? These games don't matter enough to take any chance of further injury.

    On the other hand, I would DL Span and bring up Parmelee, then use Parmelee to give additional rest to Morneau, Mauer and Willingham. We want these players to be at their best next year.

    Helluva a throw by Carson to get that guy at third.
    The Twins could send down the #12 pitcher, call up Parmelle/Arica/whoever and then flip a different pitcher when Revere/Span are finally ready. Regardless, if as I agree with you, "these games don't matter", just DL Span and call up another bat already.

    Carson is a nice story. Handling his business with alacrity thus far.

  8. #8
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,819
    Like
    175
    Liked 661 Times in 373 Posts
    Florimon is a more intriguing player than I thought. I had a mental image of a tiny, frail Alexi Ramirez type - but the he's a pretty big guy. The fielding report looks pretty dead on so far too - very smooth.

  9. #9
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Roll call. Is anyone else watching the game now? I am having to endure the Mariners announcers.
    I think you're getting a preview of dog day baseball attention spans, it could get pretty lonely around here. When even all the mods/staffers have moved on, you get an indication of a team in the process of becoming a September afterthought.

  10. #10
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Florimon is a more intriguing player than I thought. I had a mental image of a tiny, frail Alexi Ramirez type - but the he's a pretty big guy. The fielding report looks pretty dead on so far too - very smooth.
    I was wondering the same thing. Nice presence at the plate, his baserunning was fast but seemingly effortless cruising into 3B on that triple. Looked like a real take-charge guy on that play out in LF last night. I would like to see him click on some DPs, make the throws from the hole and charging the slow ball, but so far he's come as Seth advertised with his IL fielding credentials.

  11. #11
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

    Carson is a nice story. Handling his business with alacrity thus far.
    Alacrity. I like that description.

  12. #12
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Florimon is a more intriguing player than I thought. I had a mental image of a tiny, frail Alexi Ramirez type - but the he's a pretty big guy. The fielding report looks pretty dead on so far too - very smooth.
    I was wondering the same thing. Nice presence at the plate, his baserunning was fast but seemingly effortless cruising into 3B on that triple. Looked like a real take-charge guy on that play out in LF last night. I would like to see him click on some DPs, make the throws from the hole and charging the slow ball, but so far he's come as Seth advertised with his IL fielding credentials.
    I agree with both of you. If this guy can hit better than Dozier, then he should keep playing.

  13. #13
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).

  14. #14
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,819
    Like
    175
    Liked 661 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Nice presence at the plate, his baserunning was fast but seemingly effortless cruising into 3B on that triple. Looked like a real take-charge guy on that play out in LF last night. I would like to see him click on some DPs, make the throws from the hole and charging the slow ball, but so far he's come as Seth advertised with his IL fielding credentials.
    I was hoping Diamond pitching would give us some better looks. The guy is built more like a third baseman, I guess I also didn't know he was a switch hitter. There is really a lot to like about this kid, wish we would've seen him sooner.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).
    I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Carson singles - Florimon singles - I'm having flashbacks - where am I? Rochester?

  17. #17
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).
    I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.
    I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).
    I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.
    I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.
    It's good to unload that stuff - repressing it only makes it worse.

  19. #19
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,076
    Like
    4,515
    Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).
    I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.
    I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.
    It's good to unload that stuff - repressing it only makes it worse.
    Then I will also express my displeasure at Carson not beating the throw at third. That blunder may cost us this game.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Can't dispute that one - he needs to be moving on that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.