Thread: Article: Gleeman and the Geek Podcast

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gleeman and the Geek Podcast

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I gotta say, I'm with the person that questioned why Levi Michael isn't getting more attention. He seems like a younger version of Jamey Carroll. I really like that walk to strikeout ratio. ANyone have any idea where he'll start out? High A?

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also am encouraged that he is a switch hitter. And since he throws with his right hand, I assume that's his natural batting side. Along with that patience, it sounds like a possible ideal #2 hitter.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Michael

Are you sure you don't mean Michael Levi? My assumption is that he will start in Ft. Myers, although if he's not 100% yet, he could start in EST.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I gotta say, I'm with the person that questioned why Levi Michael isn't getting more attention. He seems like a younger version of Jamey Carroll. I really like that walk to strikeout ratio. ANyone have any idea where he'll start out? High A?

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Michael

A former teammate of mine in Legion ball wound up scouting for the Padres in the Carolinas the last few years. Said he watched a lot of games with Levi Michael and was very impressed with his skill set. Sent me the message "You guys got a legit player" when the Twins drafted him. Bourassa, the scout, also echoed what numerous people have said about him -- he's likely destined to be a second baseman.

A few months ago when I did a preview of the 2012 draft, I had mentioned Devon Marrero - ASU's shortstop - and said that the Twins would benefit from selecting him as his defensive skills are far superior to those of Michael (and he produced well at a much tougher conference than Michael). Interestingly enough, Keith Law emailed me and added a few tidbits saying I was pretty much spot on with that assessment but that Michael was a "much better runner" than Marrero.

Personally, if Marrero has a good collegiate showing this year, I would love to see the Twins pick him and have a Marrero-Michael middle infield combination in the minors.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting... I think I just started out being negative about Michael because he waited so long to sign, and for what, an extra $50,000? He could have signed in late June and got 3 months under his belt. He could have started next season in New Britain instead of Ft. Myers or Beloit. But as we've learned, he was really hurt and likely wouldn't have played anyway since he couldn't even play in the instructional league.

I ranked Michael like 15th or so among Twins prospects due to that and because I just don't see a ton of upside. Doesn't mean it was a bad pick at #30. Especially when you consider that Law and Baseball America and a lot of scouting people had him ranked in the top 20 among all players available to be drafted. I'm actually very curious about where he'll start and how he does. Hopefully he's a Top 5 guy for me by mid season, or at least by the end of the season.