Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins vs Mariners, 08-19-2012, 3:05pm

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Deduno will almost need a miracle to get out of this inning without giving up a run.
    I'm calling triple play. Deduno has luck on his side.
    Guess the dice didn't come up right.

Liked 297 Times in 166 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deduno will almost need a miracle to get out of this inning without giving up a run.
    I love your positive mental attitude. And I wish that Casilla had caught that foul ball.

Blog Entries
    OK, help my ignorance here. Is there a reason he didn't go for the force at home?

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    OK, help my ignorance here. Is there a reason he didn't go for the force at home?
    down goes Florimon, here comes Escobar

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was away from the TV but if you can get two outs early in the game, you take 'em, run be damned. Tie or close game in late innings, different situation but this early in the game, you try to get out of the inning as quickly as possible.

Im so not a Duduno guy & know that his control/wildness will eventually catch up to him, but I unfortunately find myself rooting against him so that it does

Blog Entries
    Nice play by Morneau to end the inning.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess the dice didn't come up right.
    I needed a 20, instead I rolled a 1.

With the bases loaded and no outs, getting two outs is a godsend. Its better to concede the run and be one out away from getting out of the inning than hope for one out and still have the bases loaded with one out. The odds are still there for a big inning, at least compared to one already in the bank and a runner on third with two outs. Anything but a double play is probably going to score that run anyway.

Take away the run that was walked in and with the decision to go for two they just held them to one run in a bases loaded, no out situation. You can't ask for more than that.
    Last edited by neli21; 08-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neli21 View Post
    With the bases loaded and no outs, getting two outs is a godsend. Its better to concede the run and be one out away from getting out of the inning than hope for one out and still have the bases loaded with one out. The odds are still there for a big inning, at least compared to one already in the bank and a runner on third with two outs. Anything but a double play is probably going to score that run anyway.

Take away the run that was walked in and with the decision to go for two they just held them to one run in a bases loaded, no out situation. You can't ask for more than that.
    Thanks! I've watched the game for years but I never played it, and I'm just now picking up some of the finer points of game strategy.

Blog Entries
    Plouffe does not seem to have regained his mojo since his return from the DL. I wonder if the thumb is still sore.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe does not seem to have regained his mojo since his return from the DL. I wonder if the thumb is still sore.
    Keep the faith my friend. It will all work out.

Blog Entries
    Keep the faith my friend. It will all work out.
    I am hoping for something good every time he comes to the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by neli21 View Post

Thanks! I've watched the game for years but I never played it, and I'm just now picking up some of the finer points of game strategy.
    You're welcome. Another good way to think about it is that if you get the out at home, but the guy on deck homers or otherwise scores in the inning, four runs will come in. On the other hand, if you get the double play and the guy on deck ends up scoring he will only represent the third run. That is where the big inning point comes in. Getting the double play is not only getting a second valuable out, but it is eliminating one guy that is already on base from scoring contention (while also getting the batter out, so you are left with just one man on base as opposed to three).

Blog Entries
    Dick Bremer just announced that when the Twins get back from the road trip, Bert Blyleven will back back in the booth for the rest of the season. Be still my beating heart!

Blog Entries
    Dick and Coomer are busting Casilla's balls a bit over that but he did the right thing. What was he supposed to do, try to instigate the famous "three man collision, out at second"?

Blog Entries
    Past a diving Flor...

Wait, he actually caught that ball. Nice.

Blog Entries
    Great catch by Florimon. No way Dozier would have caught that one.

Blog Entries
    If Deduno keeps pitching like this I'm going to have to bump up my hypertension medicine!

Blog Entries
    If Deduno keeps pitching like this I'm going to have to bump up my hypertension medicine!
    The guy is entertaining, I'll say that much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast