Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins outright Blackburn, Nishioka

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins outright Blackburn, Nishioka

Twins announce that they will outright Nick Blackburn and Tsuyoshi Nishioka off the 40-man roster.

Since being recalled from Rochester, Blackburn had made six starts only to compile a 0-4 record with an pear-shaped 6.11 ERA while opponents hit .351/.367/.576. The Twins, who had beat the drums that there would be no more "scholarships" for their players, reacted swiftly to Blackburn's struggles and recent quotes which seems to irk the front office.

Clearly the Twins were not sold on Blackburn's ability to bounce back. As assistant GM Rob Antony told reporters on Saturday in Seattle:

"We're going to try to figure out what the right thing is to try and get this guy back on track," said Rob Antony, Twins assistant general manager, on Saturday. "He had some concerning statements. 'I'm not sure what to do' -- when big-leaguers have thoughts like that, then you know their confidence is struggling."
    Nishioka, meanwhile, had been hitting .252/.311/.313 in the International League and was completely overmatched in his short stint with the Twins this year.

The move leaves the team with 38 players on their 40-man roster.
    Last edited by Parker Hageman; 08-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blackie/Nishi outrighted to Rochester!

Thanks to Parker on Twitter!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok not that it matters much at this point but who replaces them... or will the Twins just wait until the offseason?? can they wait or do they have to make a move/moves??

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    Ok not that it matters much at this point but who replaces them... or will the Twins just wait until the offseason?? can they wait or do they have to make a move/moves??
    I'd guess Vasquez at some point... Maybe Slama. But they wouldn't announce those moves until they have to. It's actually a good thing to have less than 40.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So this looks pretty good regarding Blackburn's future, right? In that there is no future obviously.

My prayers have been answered! No more watching Blackburn continue to stink it up this season. These moves just brightened my day!!

Vasquez makes sense at this point in the season. The Twins need someone for Blackburn's slot in the rotation and it gives them a chance to get a look at Vasquez early. Hendriks might be another alternative, but he will most likely not get called up until September and even then only if he keeps pitching well at AAA.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsMusings View Post
    Vasquez makes sense at this point in the season. The Twins need someone for Blackburn's slot in the rotation and it gives them a chance to get a look at Vasquez early. Hendriks might be another alternative, but he will most likely not get called up until September and even then only if he keeps pitching well at AAA.

Yeah those two seem to be the options, more likely Vasquez and save Hendriks for Sept....Blackies still due $5.5 mil for 2013...must be nice!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Both good moves. Hopefully the FO has learned from the Blackburn situation in terms of future contracts.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Vasquez is scheduled to pitch tonight for Rochester, so we'll need to see if he makes the start. Since Blackburn is scheduled to start Wednesday, Hendriks makes more sense right now as he started on Friday night and could take that spot.

Blog Entries
    I've been pushing to DFA Blackburn for over a year, and finally, it's happened. I thought I'd be happier.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 86 Posts
    When will Pavano and or Walters come back? They need an open spot for them. Not sure what the point would be to bring Pavamo back, time to wish him luck and say goodbye.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Great news. It's nice to see the Twins willing to bite the bullet on their mistakes.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    When will Pavano and or Walters come back? They need an open spot for them. Not sure what the point would be to bring Pavamo back, time to wish him luck and say goodbye.
    Walters has to be close - he threw 59 pitches in his last rehab start on Sunday.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll admit, I didn't see this coming. I thought Blackburn might be moved to the 'pen, or maybe even optioned, but DFAed? Wow.

Blog Entries
    So what happens with them next? The lead entry in the thread says they are being outrighted. I guess my only question is why are we even keeping them in the organization instead of releasing them? Is it just salary reasons - we're paying them so maybe the Triple-A club can use them? Are they being held in reserve in case the sky falls and they are needed in the future?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Does Jeff Gray continue to hold on to his Scholarship??

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    So what happens with them next? The lead entry in the thread says they are being outrighted. I guess my only question is why are we even keeping them in the organization instead of releasing them? Is it just salary reasons - we're paying them so maybe the Triple-A club can use them? Are they being held in reserve in case the sky falls and they are needed in the future?
    I'd guess either of those reasons is behind it. Generally, if a player doesn't have enough seniority to decline a minor league assignment (which neither Nishi or Blackburn do), teams will go ahead and use them as AAA roster filler. You may as well get SOME value out of that sunk cost, and if nothing else they can buy when the team goes out to dinner. The Twins are generally good about granting a guy his release if he could get a shot with another team, but I'm reasonably certain neither of these guys are getting major league offers anytime soon.
    "There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefMaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I'd guess either of those reasons is behind it. Generally, if a player doesn't have enough seniority to decline a minor league assignment (which neither Nishi or Blackburn do), teams will go ahead and use them as AAA roster filler. You may as well get SOME value out of that sunk cost, and if nothing else they can buy when the team goes out to dinner. The Twins are generally good about granting a guy his release if he could get a shot with another team, but I'm reasonably certain neither of these guys are getting major league offers anytime soon.
    The fact they have been outrighted means they must have cleared waivers, so you're probably right.

Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that they bring up Vasquez that we can see what he can do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast