Thread: Brunansky: Next Twins hitting coach?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Brunansky: Next Twins hitting coach?

Howard Sinker's StribSports upload today calls our attention to a Rochester Democrat and Chronicle feature on Red Wings hitting coach Tom Brunansky. Good stuff in both articles.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/167029655.html

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...yssey=nav|head

So here's the question... is Bruno best utilized in his current capacity of teaching prospects how to get to the Bigs or should he be considered for the Twins' hitting coach?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I think it's up to Bruno and how hard he wants to work. Big League coaching is tough...travelling all around the country and such. Minor League coaching has its advantages. WIll be interesting to see what does happen with the Twins and their coaching roster.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I don't have many issues with Vavra. Since coming on board, few Twins hitters have underperformed. He's a radical departure from Scotty Swing Like A Man Ullger, who was an awful hitting coach.

Is Bruno better? I have no idea but if he's happy in Rochester, I don't see any rush to bump Vavra out of the position in Minnesota.

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Bruno better? I have no idea but if he's happy in Rochester, I don't see any rush to bump Vavra out of the position in Minnesota.
    Here's the problem: nobody is "happy" with a minor league job when a major league job is available. This offseason, there are going to be some hitting coach positions available in the majors and I gotta imagine they'll want to interview Bruno.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    seems like Bruno and Vavra have made a good team working with guys the other one couldn't fix. I'd hate to break that up... Maybe you can find a special assistant job where he and Vavra share hitting duties.... But it's nice having him in AAA, especially with the crop of talent coming up. I'd like to see him working with Benson on a consistent basis.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Here's the problem: nobody is "happy" with a minor league job when a major league job is available. This offseason, there are going to be some hitting coach positions available in the majors and I gotta imagine they'll want to interview Bruno.
    Agreed. But is Bruno better enough to bump Vavra, who is probably the one Twins coach whose job hasn't been a spectacular failure over the past few years?

Either way, I wouldn't be too upset about it but I think Vavra has done a fine job as the hitting coach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    You're probably right, John. Then again, Brunansky sounds like a guy who has found a calling that he enjoys and that's teaching young players to hit. He doesn't have to deal with MLB egos, guys who already think they know everything about hitting.

If his home is near San Diego, he's not going to be there much regardless of whether he's working in Rochester or Minneapolis. The travel is easier at the MLB level, certainly. As for compensation, there's no reason the Twins couldn't pay him him at the same level he'd get as a MLB hitting coach if they believe he's worth keeping.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to him. Terry Ryan seems impressed with him and it would certainly be a shame to lose him to another organization.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    My guess is any coach would rather be in the Majors. The pay will be a lot better, the travel/ hotels better, meal money better and every other aspect would be better.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like that the Roc Observer columnist referred to "Todd Kubel." Sounds like Jason's deadbeat older brother.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Well they aren't going to fire Vavra just to promote Brunansky. I wonder if there is some kind of promotion they could give him, like a minor-league wide coordinator or something. It does seem like a waste right now, in that AAA teams have more journeyman than young prospects.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably Bruno's call. He seems to be doing well in AAA, which is a different coaching process than the majors. Probably be what makes him the happiest. I agree that Vavra is safe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    I like that the Roc Observer columnist referred to "Todd Kubel." Sounds like Jason's deadbeat older brother.
    Todd, Jason, Bob, Carl, Sue... once a guy is no longer in the Twins organization, who really remembers or cares what his name is, anyway, right?

Fire Liddle, make Bruno bench coach.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe if the Twins do not promote him after this year, we will lose him to another major league club. I would rather have him here and reassign Varna.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lecroy24fan View Post
    And Stop Sign Scottie third base coach again?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd dump Ulger and bring him up here... but that's me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Let's encourage Ullger to interview with the Astros (or maybe the Red Sox), that would open a spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would be a mistake to come back with the same coaching staff next year, hard to justify that after two seasons of more than 90 losses.

I thought Gardy might be toast but I do think he stays. He'll want to keep the same coaching staff, I wonder if Ryan has him make some changes, with Bruno and maybe even Molitor (if not someone else).
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lecroy24fan View Post
    And Stop Sign Scottie third base coach again?
    No he goes too.