Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Woud you like to see a Twins player play all nine positions in one game?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not really

10 43.48%
  • Yes

3 13.04%
  • Yes, and I would like to see Drew Butera try this

6 26.09%
  • Yes, and I would like to see Joe Mauer try this

1 4.35%
  • Yes, and I would like to see Butera & Mauer try this in the same game

0 0%
  • Yes, and why not Butera, Mauer and Revere?

2 8.70%
  • Yes, but with different players

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cesar Tovar Night

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cesar Tovar Night

The Twins have no chance of contending this year. Neither do the Royals.

In order to provide some fun for the players and the fans, I would like to see at least one player attempt to duplicate Cesar Tovar's feat of playing all nine positions in a single game. As you can see, this made for an interesting box score. Also, here is a video about Tovar:

Question -- would you like to see a Twins player play all nine positions in a game against the Royals next month?

P.S., could an admin correct the spelling error in the poll title?
    Last edited by glunn; 08-23-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    I do not think that any current Twin player is either capable of doing Tovar's feat or worthy of the distinction. Mauer before the knee injury might have been capable of it. He certainly could do no worse as a pitcher than some have done this year.
    Last edited by old nurse; 08-23-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They would never do it with a star player. Way too risky. Managers don't like letting position players pitch, and that's just one of like 5-6 positions the player would likely struggle with. I don't think there's a player on the roster that should do it. I always thought that they could have had Nick Punto do it. The pitching and catcher would have been tough, but he could play everywhere else and likely do alright. Tovar himself was a guy who played everywhere. The Twins don't have anyone like that right now.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Butera! Butera! Butera!

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    I'd bet a beer Florimon could do it, and not look bad while doing so. Probably Carroll as well, although it would be silly to risk it for him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I'd be disappointed if the Twins resorted to such cheap and stupid gimmicks. I know the Astros are basically doing the same thing by letting Roger Clemens pitch a game or an inning at some point.

Even though the Twins are well out of it, they should be trying to win every game they can, they still can effect the Wild Card and AL Central race as many of their upcoming opponents are in one of those races. To do some gimmick like trying to have a SS play catcher for an inning is a slap in the face to the other teams you aren't playing.

I know we'd be upset if we were a game behind the WC, and a team we needed to lose was going against a team who was just screwing around.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'd be disappointed if the Twins resorted to such cheap and stupid gimmicks.
    I don't see anything wrong with a reminder that it's still a game, and supposed to be fun, during yet another fantastically craptastic season.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    I'd be disappointed if the Twins resorted to such cheap and stupid gimmicks. I know the Astros are basically doing the same thing by letting Roger Clemens pitch a game or an inning at some point.

Even though the Twins are well out of it, they should be trying to win every game they can, they still can effect the Wild Card and AL Central race as many of their upcoming opponents are in one of those races. To do some gimmick like trying to have a SS play catcher for an inning is a slap in the face to the other teams you aren't playing.

I know we'd be upset if we were a game behind the WC, and a team we needed to lose was going against a team who was just screwing around.
    I agree with you about not affecting any races, which is why I suggested doing this in a game with the Royals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    They would never do it with a star player. Way too risky. Managers don't like letting position players pitch, and that's just one of like 5-6 positions the player would likely struggle with. I don't think there's a player on the roster that should do it. I always thought that they could have had Nick Punto do it. The pitching and catcher would have been tough, but he could play everywhere else and likely do alright. Tovar himself was a guy who played everywhere. The Twins don't have anyone like that right now.
    Why not Butera? He already has the best era on the team?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never know, might find a pitcher for next year!

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Lighten up a bit- it's supposed to be against the Royals and would be an interesting change of pace. This is safer than 10-cent beer night and embodies the original spirit with which barnstorming teams played the game.
    '

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cesar Tovar was one of my favorite Twins player to watch when i was a kid

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post

Lighten up a bit- it's supposed to be against the Royals and would be an interesting change of pace. This is safer than 10-cent beer night and embodies the original spirit with which barnstorming teams played the game.
    '
    I think that this could be fun for the team and for us fans -- a bright spot in a bleak season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    Cesar Tovar was one of my favorite Twins player to watch when i was a kid
    Me too. I loved the guy. And he was a very solid player with a great attitude.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    I voted for Butera. Mauer is just too important to the future to screw around with. But with Butera, it could be a lot of fun.

Of course, would we think it was so much fun after a 5 error game?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Of course, would we think it was so much fun after a 5 error game?
    Probably not, but after watching the Twins play the last week+ I have seemingly forgotten what the term "Fun" means when it is implied to Twins Baseball.
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 08-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I'd be more interested to see all the coaches take the night off and have the players coach and see what kind of lineup pops up.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    I say sign Mark Madsen and let him chuck up threes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Probably Carroll as well, although it would be silly to risk it for him.
    Risk what?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Probably Carroll as well, although it would be silly to risk it for him.
    Risk what?
    A 38 year old body.

Duh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast