Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Twins vs Rangers, 08-23-2012, 7:05pm

Liked 1,265 Times in 732 Posts
    The Twins have been playing pretty apathetically on this road trip. Maybe Oswalt gave them a figurative kick in the butt via Mauer's shoulder.

Well at least we got some redemption! Wally Bell just took a ball straight off the top of his forearm... Try and throw somebody out now Wally Boy!

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    Oswald is a veteran pitcher that is known for his control... If you don't think that was intentional then watch it again. It hit Joe in the U in Mauer, and was a 3-0 count. Nobody was warned which is ridiculous. That's bush Wash, just bush!

He posted an ERA of 6 this year going into the series, so I'd say it's fair to say he hasn't exactly been a control-artist this year. With that said, I do agree and think it was intentional now, especially in light of the play he blew just before. I hope somebody catches one in the ribs before this is all done.

Banned Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's quite the outfield positioning for Mauer

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well at least we got some redemption! Wally Bell just took a ball straight off the top of his forearm... Try and throw somebody out now Wally Boy!
    He had no choice but to throw Diamond out, given the location near the head.

Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Oswald is a veteran pitcher that is known for his control... If you don't think that was intentional then watch it again. It hit Joe in the U in Mauer, and was a 3-0 count. Nobody was warned which is ridiculous. That's bush Wash, just bush!

He posted an ERA of 6 this year going into the series, so I'd say it's fair to say he hasn't exactly been a control-artist this year. With that said, I do agree and think it was intentional now, especially in light of the play he blew just before. I hope somebody catches one in the ribs before this is all done.
    I don't know if an elevated ERA this year would leave to a lack of control that bad! Usually lack of control in a high ERA type guy means he's leaving it up in the middle of the plate. Not hitting his spots on the corners...

Either way as you said, I don't think we have seen the last of this little tiff. Probably later on in the series somebody will take one again.

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    He had no choice but to throw Diamond out, given the location near the head.
    You're absolutely right he had no choice. League rules state if a pitcher makes it look that intentional the ump must eject him. However it doesn't make it right that we got the s***end of the stick and they didn't even get a warning. Still as a die hard twins fan and Mauer bobo I have to say I felt a small victory inside when Wally took that ball off the arm.

Here are some facts:

Oswalt hits Mauer on a 3-0 pitch. Doumit and Morneau both strike out to end the inning while their manager is pacing in the dugout and obviously pissed off.

We can't really be positive if Oswalt threw at Mauer intentionally, but he was probably not as tense as Doumit or Morneau when facing them after plunking Mauer. I think it was intentional and pretty brilliant on Oswalt's part if in fact it was intentional--he gets out of the inning unscathed, pisses off the other team into having some bad at-bats, and gets two others from the opposing team thrown out of the game while he gets to stay in. Great pitching if you ask me!

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're absolutely right he had no choice. League rules state if a pitcher makes it look that intentional the ump must eject him. However it doesn't make it right that we got the ### of the stick and they didn't even get a warning. Still as a die hard twins fan and Mauer bobo I have to say I felt a small victory inside when Wally took that ball off the arm.
    I was kinda surprised when Wally Bell didn't warn both sides after Oswalt's pitch, but then I figured he was giving the Twins a chance for payback. If Diamond hits Hamilton in the back or leg, Hamilton takes first, Diamond stays in the game, and then Bell warns both sides - after they are even. Didn't work out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by pjnelly View Post
    Here are some facts:

Oswalt hits Mauer on a 3-0 pitch. Doumit and Morneau both strike out to end the inning while their manager is pacing in the dugout and obviously pissed off.

We can't really be positive if Oswalt threw at Mauer intentionally, but he was probably not as tense as Doumit or Morneau when facing them after plunking Mauer. I think it was intentional and pretty brilliant on Oswalt's part if in fact it was intentional--he gets out of the inning unscathed, pisses off the other team into having some bad at-bats, and gets two others from the opposing team thrown out of the game while he gets to stay in. Great pitching if you ask me!
    Brilliant the way it turned out, but it could have also got Hamilton killed if it did hit him in the head (I don't really mean killed but hurt pretty badly). That is probably why Wash wad pacing back and fourth in the dugout. It was just plain stupid, you have your team competing for the playoffs and you do something dumb like that against a bad team, your team and your best offensive player are the only ones that you can really hurt in that situation.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Does anyone here have any good sites for streaming games? I don't have mlb.tv and am habitually frustrated by not being able to watch the Twins

Free MLB TV 10-day trial:

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/lexus/y2...rial/index.jsp

If for some reason it doesn't work for you, I apologize in advance. It worked for me, although I should have waited until after the Texas series - it's in my local broadcast area.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The HBP was definitely intentional. I would think the Rangers must seriously regret signing this guy - he has pitched like S@#t, he says he will not pitch out of the bullpen if he is demoted on a team that has the guns to win it all, and then he goes and pulls a bulls@#t move liking hitting Mauer on a 3-0 count after he makes a bone-headed fielding play, looking like a spoiled arrogant brat all the while. Seeing the look on his face after his fielding mishap was all I needed to see to know the HBP was intentional. I cannot imagine Ron Washington or many of his teammates were thrilled with Oswalt's actions... honestly it would not surprise me if Texas gets rid of him soon. Oswalt has been good in the past and you never heard anything bad about him - I guess this is Roy's bad person year and probably his last as a player.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Totally random thought: I was glancing at Yahoo Sports' in-game box score page, and it shows Doumit facing Mike Adams at the moment, and darned if the two photos don't look like randomly generated player photos in this computer game I used to play. You'd think they could find a better photo of Doumit at least; Adams, I am afraid he just looks like a Sim, period.
    7564.jpg7332.jpg
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 08-23-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    So can Plouffesie field a position? That's just bad x2

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    The Twins have been playing pretty apathetically on this road trip. Maybe Oswalt gave them a figurative kick in the butt via Mauer's shoulder.

Doesn't look like it by our eighth inning "fielding".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins just giving it away.

Falling apart - can't hit, pitch or field - other than that good game. I am about to give up on Plouffe at third - he can't field.

Liked 1,265 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Doesn't look like it by our eighth inning "fielding".

Or pitching

Sad thing is this was the one game of the series they had a chance to win. Only going to get worse from here on out.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Falling apart - can't hit, pitch or field - other than that good game. I am about to give up on Plouffe at third - he can't field.
    Or hit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast