Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Twins vs Rangers, 08-23-2012, 7:05pm

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Remember when it was 4-4?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Remember when it was 4-4?
    Good times, those were. Good times.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Joe Nate time!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Falling apart - can't hit, pitch or field - other than that good game. I am about to give up on Plouffe at third - he can't field.
    Too soon. Just like it is too soon to rush to the "Plouffe is our starter at third now for the next decade", it's too soon to judge based on the last dozen games.

But frankly, his herculian power surge was always most likely to be a fluke - we can hope though.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look at that box score and soak it in, folks... Jeff Gray was the pitcher of the night for the Twins.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 816 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just my two cents, but I'm trying to figure out exactly why Oswalt would want to hit Mauer in that situation. It isn't as though he was retaliating against something.

That said, I don't have a problem throwing at someone, but I have a huge issue with throwing at someone's head where you have a potential career ending or life threatening injury. If you are going to do it intentionally, put it right on his thigh which will leave a nice bruise and slow him down for a game or two, but at the head is classless and should warrant a rather long suspension.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Just my two cents, but I'm trying to figure out exactly why Oswalt would want to hit Mauer in that situation. It isn't as though he was retaliating against something.

That said, I don't have a problem throwing at someone, but I have a huge issue with throwing at someone's head where you have a potential career ending or life threatening injury. If you are going to do it intentionally, put it right on his thigh which will leave a nice bruise and slow him down for a game or two, but at the head is classless and should warrant a rather long suspension.
    Mauer had doubled in the first Twins run in the first inning, and the Twins had just tied the game on a Texas error (Oswalt probably frustrated at that). Runner in scoring position with one out, best player up with a possible rally. That's why Oswalt threw at him. And it worked - they got out of the inning with no more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Be patient. This is a four-game series. Guarantee he gets nailed before they finish up Sunday.
    The Twins should have pitched to Hamilton normally on his next immediate at bat and then plunked him in his successive at bat.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Plouffe's display of defense in the 8th inning was close to Little League quality. I read where Gardy was on him to be more ready to react when the ball was hit and he looked a little slow on the first 2 hit to him in the inning so that worries me. Granted they were rocket shots - not exactly dribblers but it looked like he could have done better on the 2nd one which he correctly got charged for an error on. The 3rd miscue was moving back on the grounder which resulted in a late throw to first base. 4th was fielding the grounder and then running late to the 3rd base bag before throwing to first where he did make that throw in time. It was getting painfully embarrasing to watch. Perhaps these are all correctable - I don't know if we have an infielder instructor - I know Plouffe has moved around to many positions but he needs to gain some confidence.

In regards to the hit batsmen, Oswalt's control looked pretty good last night except for that pitch to Mauer. At 3-0 you usually look to groove one down the middle so I am pretty sure that was on purpose - why? who knows. The moral of the story with the current rules is make sure you are the first pitcher doing the hitting in the game. Interesting to see if Diamond gets suspended for this, if so it would seem Oswalt should also get the same suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Plouffe's display of defense in the 8th inning was close to Little League quality. I read where Gardy was on him to be more ready to react when the ball was hit and he looked a little slow on the first 2 hit to him in the inning so that worries me. Granted they were rocket shots - not exactly dribblers but it looked like he could have done better on the 2nd one which he correctly got charged for an error on. The 3rd miscue was moving back on the grounder which resulted in a late throw to first base. 4th was fielding the grounder and then running late to the 3rd base bag before throwing to first where he did make that throw in time. It was getting painfully embarrasing to watch.
    Yep, on the 3rd one you mentioned Plouffe should have charged the ball and stepped on 3rd rather than try to throw out Andrus. Apparently he realized his mistake and tried to do that on the 4th play you mentioned but figured he'd never get there in time so threw to Morneau at 1st base.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not going to fault Plouffe for screwing up at third. He hasn't had much time there and third base is probably the most unique position on the field outside of catcher. It's all about reaction time and that takes some adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post

While I agree with you that throwing at a players head is ridiculous, and should never be done intentionally. I highly doubt that Diamond was looking to hit Hamilton in the head. We all have said he should have gone for his thigh, or back, or ribs, etc.... and I honestly think that is where he was aiming. But to try and target a spot on a batter and hit him is extremely difficult to do. No matter who is throwing the ball. Not to mention that Hamilton totally knew a ball was coming right at him, and leaned forward to avoid being hit. Which IMO, is why it looked as if the ball was going for his head. If he stand there and takes it like a man, he gets hit in the upper right arm or roughly the same place Mauer did.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345