Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Kahuna Type Trade

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I have great respect for a team that is willing to admit it isn't good, and deal veterans for young players. I would anticipate Boston will actively shop in the FA market also.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would make a waiver claim just to be a pest.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Oh, I'm well aware. Lived there for eight years and crossed that bridge maybe five times.
    Wish you *******s had told me that last winter. I tried to do Coronado on a Saturday and it was a joke..we didn't even get out of the car.

Sadly I still haven't learned my lesson on dealing with tourist traps. I was just in Seattle for the first time and had to check out Pike Place Market...I stepped inside and literally didn't move for a good 2 minutes. I somehow managed to get to the nearest exit and never looked back.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    I don't understand how the Waiver Trade process works. In a large deal like this with a boat load of players changing hands. Don't they all have to go through waivers. I can understand how A Gon, Beckett and Crawford can make it through to LA because of salary but... How do the Young Talented Cheap Dodgers get through without a claim.

Been following baseball for a long time and I don't understand trading in August.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Forget it, Twins arn't making any trades.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm guessing that most teams didn't bother making a claim since the Dodgers probably put their whole 40 man roster on waivers to disguise the guys they wanted to make thru. Additionally only two of the prospects are actually interesting. Dejesus and Sands are backups, Rubby just had TJ and Webster isn't on the 40 man (didn't need to pass thru waivers). If any of the 3 prospects had been claimed then the Dodgers would have just pulled them back and sent that prospect as a PTBNL in the offseason.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    They said Rubby was claimed by Toronto, so that he will have to be included as a PTBNL

at the end of the day it isn't even about the prospects, they all suck. It's a cash dump plain and simple.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,514 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    I don't understand how the Waiver Trade process works. In a large deal like this with a boat load of players changing hands. Don't they all have to go through waivers. I can understand how A Gon, Beckett and Crawford can make it through to LA because of salary but... How do the Young Talented Cheap Dodgers get through without a claim.

Been following baseball for a long time and I don't understand trading in August.
    There seems to be an unwritten law that GMs don't claim players they honestly have no interest in pursuing unless it blocks a division rival. Otherwise Houston could just claim everybody decent for the hell of it.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm guessing that most teams didn't bother making a claim since the Dodgers probably put their whole 40 man roster on waivers to disguise the guys they wanted to make thru. Additionally only two of the prospects are actually interesting. Dejesus and Sands are backups, Rubby just had TJ and Webster isn't on the 40 man (didn't need to pass thru waivers). If any of the 3 prospects had been claimed then the Dodgers would have just pulled them back and sent that prospect as a PTBNL in the offseason.
    I've read that teams can pull players back. I just don't understand the process. I can't seem to put two and two together on it.

It's easy to understand the salary dump part of the trade. I can even see what the Dodgers are doing. It's the whole clearing waivers part that has me confused. I don't understand how DeJesus, Sands and Rubby got through waivers.

OK... Rubby didn't... The Jays put a claim in... So they pull him back and he becomes a player to be named later. I get that...

My question is how can any young player on a 40 man roster get through.

If I was the Twins... Why wouldn't you put a claim on DeJesus or at least someone like him. If players are being exposed to the degree that they are. We need Middle Infield help.

Why Wouldn't the Orioles for example put a claim on Sands. He'd be a decent prospect to have stashed away in AAA or off the bench. It wasn't long ago that they had Lew Ford in the OF.

I don't think these players are entirely dead weight. They are posting some decent numbers and there are clubs with glaring holes that they would slide nicely into.

To simplify my question!!! How or Why do the young cheaper players get through the waiver process at all?

Seems to me the Twins could have put a claim in for DeJesus and at least seen if the Dodgers would have taken prospect OF'er #5 , 6, 7 or 8 for him. We could use some MI choices to shore things up. DeJesus Jr. seems to have fairly decent numbers. Worth a look?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12