Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Jim Leyland: I think [Gardy's] a fantastic manager

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Jim Leyland: I think [Gardy's] a fantastic manager

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ls-top-manager

This is over a week old but in case some had missed it, a note of positivity.

I have to think Jim has specific games in mind where Gardy out managed him.

For those anti-Gardy people or those that just want a change.....its not that he cant manage, he'll get hired again. He is gonna manage back to back 90 loss teams when it can be argued that the team can look like its goin thru the motions. If they have 'tuned' him out, this is why it may be time for a change.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would seem, then, that the pitchers have tuned him out more than the hitters, since most position players are performing at league average or better, where the starting pitching is dead last by far.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    For those anti-Gardy people or those that just want a change.....its not that he cant manage, he'll get hired again. He is gonna manage back to back 90 loss teams when it can be argued that the team can look like its goin thru the motions. If they have 'tuned' him out, this is why it may be time for a change.
    Agreed. If a change is needed its because the players are tuning him out, not because he's a bad manager

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    It would seem, then, that the pitchers have tuned him out more than the hitters, since most position players are performing at league average or better, where the starting pitching is dead last by far.
    Im pro Gardy and thinking its time for a change... No one knows if players are tuning him out. I've read reports that he lost the clubhouse last year. I don't know if the reports are accurate or a player disgruntled. However... No manager could have kept that clubhouse... Ubgodly injuries... Lineup full of non prospects... And tough motivational downers like Delmon and Valencia the best of the non injured.

Its been two tough years and I don't blame Gardy for it. I'd just like the team to think, act and be fresh for the turnaround.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't think it's "tuning out" at all... It's not that, it's not lack of effort. It's lack of pitching, falling behind... Gardy is a terrific manager, and like others have said, he'll have a lot of job offers.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Gardy is a terrific manager, and like others have said, he'll have a lot of job offers.
    Seth, I'm certainly not trying to be combative or sarcastic, but, sincerely, why do you think Gardy's a great manager? What attributes do you feel he has to lead a team to a league title? I'll be honest, I don't agree. But I do respect your perspective quite a bit, and I'm inclined to think you've got your reasons.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a fan, I think he is colorful and not just cashing checks. He doesn't self promote and he protects his players. I believe he had many years where the team exceeded my expectations. I have wondered in the post season if he sometimes gets uptight/nervous because he wants to win so badly, and the team mimics that behaviour.