Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119

Thread: Where is Revere Most Valuable?

  1. #21
    Revere played in LF in Target Field towards the end of last season, too. And he made some great catches in the gap and running towards the line.

    But if his bat isn't there, I think his most valuable place is on the bench as a late-inning defensive replacement for Plouffe or Willingham (with Span or Plouffe switching to right) or pinch runner.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now, Revere is most valuable standing on 2nd base. :-) Since we signed Willingham, I've thought it would be best to keep him in LF and put Span in RF. With Revere's range, he could cover a fair amount of LF to help out Willingham, and you wouldn't be forcing a guy to not just adjust to the other side of the OF, but also deal with the goofy-ass overhang. Span has the most experience at Target Field, let's put him in the trickiest spot.

    As far as the plate goes, that's where we gotta remember that Revere is only 23. He's young enough that he still could develop a decent amount of power and an excellent eye at the plate. Give him a little time in a low pressure slot at the bottom of the order, and I think we'll see some great things from this young man.

    Can someone tell Mr Carew to teach Revere how to steal home too? That'd be fun to watch.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    He's young enough that he still could develop a decent amount of power
    Well, that seems like a bit of a questionable assertion.

  4. #24
    Jack I just want to tell you what a great job you are doing! I think your opinion on the Twins are right on the mark. You are the only blogger who has the guts to say what is lacking with this organization. Thanks for your voice and keep it coming! I will always be listening.......

  5. #25
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,621
    Like
    3,697
    Liked 3,186 Times in 1,364 Posts

    revere's best position is

    On the bench. Winning organizations don't give an OF spot to. 650-ish OPS outfielder.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by woolhouse View Post
    Revere played in LF in Target Field towards the end of last season, too. And he made some great catches in the gap and running towards the line.

    But if his bat isn't there, I think his most valuable place is on the bench as a late-inning defensive replacement for Plouffe or Willingham (with Span or Plouffe switching to right) or pinch runner.
    Exactly. Until he learns to get on base he's a 4th outfielder. Unfortunately carrying Revere, Butera and Nishioka all on the same bench would be an absolute pinch hitting nightmare.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Steve,

    This whole idea of a veteran deserving a spot just because he has been there before is crazy. Span is a decent center fielder defensively and Revere is an outstanding center fielder. Span can play right field and Willingham only knows left. Why would you mess with past success. The reason why is because Gardenhire could screw up a wet dream. As a manager you make decisions based on what is best for your 25-man roster. You don't make decisions based on how one player is going to react to it. Gardenhire is scared to death of his players. He is the only manager in the history of the game to walk into a clubhouse and talk to each player before he makes a lineup card. He basically gives each player an opportunity to talk himself out of being in the lineup. The bottom line Gardenhire is afraid of hurting Span's feelings.

    Hey Gardenhire go work at the YMCA if your worried about hurting your players feelings. I'm quite certain you can coach a kid's basketball team and make sure everyone plays equally. However, your attitude here is all wrong. Gardenhire has had the most talented players in Twins history and he has lost 12 straight playoff games. You think he would have learned something from moving Delmon Young to left field but apparently not. He is smarter than everyone else!!
    You seem to be under the misassumption that feelings don't matter, so let me pose a hypothetical to you. At your place of employment you have two bosses who alternate days. One is friendly, genuinely cares about you, and manages you as a person, and not just an employee. The other is bossy, doesn't seek your input, and is only interested in doign things his way, not matter what anyone else thinks. Which one of these bosses would you rather work for, and which one would get the best effort from you?

    Also, from a statistical standpoint, last year Span's UZR/150 in CF was 17.6. In the last 4 years, he's gone from -32.7 to -11.5 to 4.5 to that 17.6--in other words, he has vastly improved his defense over the past 4 years. Revere, meanwhile, was at 15.1 in CF for UZR/150 last year. Denard therefore, based on the extremely small sample size, is more valuable in center than Revere.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    505
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    28
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Steve,

    This whole idea of a veteran deserving a spot just because he has been there before is crazy. Span is a decent center fielder defensively and Revere is an outstanding center fielder. Span can play right field and Willingham only knows left. Why would you mess with past success.
    This is where I disagree, and disagree strongly. Yes, the managers job should be to put the best players in the best position for his team to succeed, BUT, putting a "player in the best position" is NOT limited to solely their physical spot on the field. Like it or not, players have emotions and an ego, ask any coach who's ever taught a game and these are things they weigh. Span has earned that position, and he'll tell you that's where he wants to play. Would he move to a corner spot if asked? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean for a second it's what is best for him or the team. Remember when Cuddyer couldn't hit because he was worrying so much about where he'd play and having to pick a ground ball? Then Gardy moved him to the OF and he turned it around. Like it or not, in essence, this is the same exact thing that I'm talking about. You said it best yourself:
    Why would you mess with past success.
    [?] I do NOT believe Ben Revere is a better CF than Span. As someone else mentions, Revere doesn't take good routes and has to make up for it with his speed. Span isn't all that slower and doesn't have the same route-taking issues. Span has an almost average arm, while Revere has a well-below average one. And I did not say Span deserves to be the CF just because he's "been there before". I said he deserves to be the CF because he's earned it. These are 2 drastically different things.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsArmChairGM_Jon View Post
    Ideally, at least for now, Revere is most valuable as a fourth outfielder off the bench. He's great as a defensive replacement and his speed plays well as a pinch runner.

    Unfortunately, we don't have an ideal team, so Ben is most likely going to be starting. His arm is not great or even average, so I have a hard time starting him anywhere but LF as long as we have Span.

    His offensive statistics consist of a small sample size in parts of two seasons, but so far he has shown low OBP's and little power which shouldn't surprise anyone who saw his minor league numbers. He needs to raise his OBP 20 points this year just to get to league average and even there his offensive value is limited because of his lack of power. Is it possible for him to drastically raise his on-base-percentage to something well above average? Sure, but he's going to need to to be a Leadoff/Two hitter. Until then he's going to be a bottom of the order OF with some speed.
    I was going to post something, but TwinsArmChairGM nailed it for me. Revere should not be in the starting lineup. He's a late inning pinch runner/defensive player. Those of you arguing that he should be placed at the bottom of the order are apparently forgetting that you then have a sequence of Revere-Span-Carroll, not exactly a run producing trio. Remember 2007: Tyner--Punto--Casilla?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  10. #30
    Member Single-A jlovren's Avatar
    Posts
    72
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    On the bench. Winning organizations don't give an OF spot to. 650-ish OPS outfielder.
    I would go as far to say that's the case for any position. However, I am inclined to think that Revere can raise his OBP to the league average and do some damage on the basepaths. To have a guy who steals 30-40 bases a year makes up for lack of power.

  11. #31
    Couple things: comparing Delmon's switch from RF to LF and Willingham's switch from LF to RF is not at all the same thing. LF requires more range, which Delmon did not possess, resulting in terrible defense. However, switching from LF to RF requires less range, and even though perhaps more technically difficult (with the overhang), should be an easier role. Also, with all of the Revere discussion, it will be a moot point if Plouffe hits like he is capable of hitting.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    I like the idea of having at least two OFs that can cover some ground because it will make your pitchers "better" and save runs. That said, it dumbfounds me that so many people are ready to hand Ben Revere a starting spot... much less the CF starting spot... based on what we saw of him last season. His speed on the basebpaths means nothing if he (a) doesn't get on base, and (b) screws up when he does get on base. He's a nice guy to have for games when you want to give Span a day off and perhaps as a late inning replacement as a PR or for defense. But if Plouffe can cover some ground in the OF and contribute offensively, as well, he's got far more potential to improve the Twins than Revere does.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Revere is 23 years old. He still has some learning to do and complete his game. I really never understood the frustration of some fans with younger players who have yet to reach their peak. Here are some numbers just for fun:
    Ben Revere's age 23 season: .267/.310/.309 (.619 OPS)
    Carlos Gomez' age 23 season: .229/.287/.337 (.623 OPS)
    Delmon Young's age 23 season: .284/.308/.425 (.733 OPS)
    Kirby Puckett's age 24 (was in the minors for his age 23 season: ) .296/.320/.336 (.655 OPS)

    Gomez with similar numbers and better defence than Revere was rushed out of town. Ditto Delmon Young but his was in an injury-ladden season a season and a half later, following a .298/.333/.493 age 24 season, in which he single handedly pretty much carried the team to the post-season after Morneau's injury. Kirby because the Twins' fans darling, but that was in an era in which people were more patient regarding young hitters.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Revere is 23 years old. He still has some learning to do and complete his game. I really never understood the frustration of some fans with younger players who have yet to reach their peak. Here are some numbers just for fun:
    Ben Revere's age 23 season: .267/.310/.309 (.619 OPS)
    Carlos Gomez' age 23 season: .229/.287/.337 (.623 OPS)
    Delmon Young's age 23 season: .284/.308/.425 (.733 OPS)
    Kirby Puckett's age 24 (was in the minors for his age 23 season: ) .296/.320/.336 (.655 OPS)

    Gomez with similar numbers and better defence than Revere was rushed out of town. Ditto Delmon Young but his was in an injury-ladden season a season and a half later, following a .298/.333/.493 age 24 season, in which he single handedly pretty much carried the team to the post-season after Morneau's injury. Kirby because the Twins' fans darling, but that was in an era in which people were more patient regarding young hitters.

    Good points, thrylos. I think, perhaps because we have been hearing and seeing Revere part of 2010 and most of 2011, people have this perception that "what you see is what you get" with him -- that he's not going to improve or change his game. I'd like to think that, with him turning only 24 this May, there's room for growth. I'd also add that he's only played 130 major league games thus far. So it's understandable that he has some learning to do.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  15. #35
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    I don't think it's being hyper-critical of Revere to point out that RIGHT NOW he is not deserving of being given a starting OF position. If and when he figures out how to get on base regularly and thus contribute offensively, then by all means, let's talk about whether he's earned a starting spot. Until then, we're just debating a potential he hasn't realized yet. It's just that people are suggesting he should supplant a presumed healthy Span in CF right now that seems premature, at best. And if he isn't going to be the primary CF, then it's fair to consider whether his lack of arm and lack of power at the plate make him the best option at a starting corner OF position to start this season.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  16. #36
    Senior Member Triple-A zchrz's Avatar
    Posts
    217
    Like
    41
    Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Revere will be fine in left it hides his arm and its not going to sap to much range from him because they can just play span in right center to make up for Willinghams slow feet.

  17. #37
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323
    I'd add to the list Torii Hunter, who hit .250/.309/.380 (.689 OPS) in his age 23 season and was a Gold Glover receiving MVP votes two years later. The rush to judgment on Revere strikes me as pretty extreme, although it's not hard to see why many folks see his skill set as rather limiting.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'd add to the list Torii Hunter, who hit .250/.309/.380 (.689 OPS) in his age 23 season and was a Gold Glover receiving MVP votes two years later. The rush to judgment on Revere strikes me as pretty extreme, although it's not hard to see why many folks see his skill set as rather limiting.
    Statistics are a wonderful tool to rate talent. So are eyeballs and knowledge. I would suggest that those willing to dismiss Revere are using their eyes and knowledge while those holding out hoping that he will develop are relying on statistics OF OTHER PLAYERS. You may put me in the eyeball camp.

    I'm afraid the most Twins fans can hope for with Revere is Juan Pierre Lite, meaning he will be like Juan Pierre except he will bat .270 instead of .300 and won't get on base as often.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 03-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  19. #39
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    I'm afraid the most Twins fans can hope for with Revere is Juan Pierre Lite, meaning he will be like Juan Pierre except he will bat .270 instead of .300 and won't get on base as often.
    What reason is there to assume Revere can't hit .300 or above in the majors? He hit .270 last year as a 23-year-old rookie. You see absolutely no upside for him?

  20. #40
    Span is indeed a great defensive CF, but Revere has the ability to be Carlos Gomez good if his jumps get better with experience. Let him log the time there to get better when facing a RHP. With a lefty, platoon Plouffe and put Span in CF.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.