Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where is Revere Most Valuable?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what does Joe Benson have over Ben Revere (other than more hair)?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what does Joe Benson have over Ben Revere (other than more hair)?
    A much higher ceiling.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no doubt about it Benson has all the tools to be a superstar player. However, I'm just not confident we will ever see the total package. He is already 25 and will start the season again in Rochester. He is definately much too talented to give up on yet.

While it's still all potential right now... Benson has more power in his stroke, and has been consistently 100 points higher in OPS than Revere in the minors. Revere is a singles hitter, while Benson is a gap hitter, who can produce doubles.

Revere is a nice piece to have... but if he's starting, things are not going well for this team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The last three years his OPS was higher, but he also played less than Revere, some of those plate appearances were at a lower level, and I don't think you can compare last year at all, when most of Revere's season was in the Majors and most of Benson's were in AA. For 2007 and 2008, when Benson was in Beliot and Revere was in Beloit and Gulf Coast, Revere actually had much higher numbers. Benson also has one more year as a pro player than Revere.

And while Benson has better SLG and OPB, his average has consistently been lower than Revere's, and his strikeouts have been MUCH higher. In 2010, Benson has 136 K's, and Revere had 137 his entire 5 years in the minors.

Granted, I haven't actually seen Benson play much, but based on stats alone, they seem fairly comparable. Benson is gonna get more extra base hits, but he's also gonna strike out more. Revere is gonna end up on 1st base most of the time, but he'll steal his way around the diamond a lot more. I guess it really depends on what you see as more valuable.

Personally, I'd love to see them both eventually in the starting lineup. Get Revere to take a few more walks, get Benson to strike out a bit less, and they'd compliment each other well. Revere gets to 1st, steals his way to 2nd, Benson doubles him in. We could see that A LOT.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 156 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And while Benson has better SLG and OPB, his average has consistently been lower than Revere's, and his strikeouts have been MUCH higher. In 2010, Benson has 136 K's, and Revere had 137 his entire 5 years in the minors.
    I find the enthusiasm around Benson to be a tad high - not as high as the enthusiasm around Valencia two offseasons ago, but a little like that. His Ks scare me, and last year was really his first statistical sign of life.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I find the enthusiasm around Benson to be a tad high - not as high as the enthusiasm around Valencia two offseasons ago, but a little like that. His Ks scare me, and last year was really his first statistical sign of life.
    I don't know, John, those 27 HR he hit in 2010 and being named the Twins minor league hitter of the year tell me that he's shown it a couple of years in a row. The strikeouts are a concern. His aggressiveness can be positive or negative, so my opinion of Benson's future is how long it takes for the game to slow down for him. He's already the top defensive outfielder in the system.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still, with Revere at #9, the Twins lineup for 2012 would have a consecutive trio of Revere, Span, and Carroll, not a good thing.
    What would be the substitue?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    There is no doubt about it Benson has all the tools to be a superstar player. However, I'm just not confident we will ever see the total package. He is already 25 and will start the season again in Rochester. He is definately much too talented to give up on yet.
    Are you talking about Benson? He just turned 24 a few days ago and hasn't even been to Rochester yet (even though he should have been promoted last year).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, Benson is only a couple months older than Revere, he just started in the minors a year before he did. I still don't get though, why he's too talented to give up on, and people have already given up on Revere.

If nothing else, Revere is a guy who BROKE HIS FACE and was back playing in a manner of weeks. Bloggers have constantly been bitching that we need more guys who won't take half the season off because of a stubbed toe. Revere throws his whole body into the game, and fights like hell to get back when he's hurt. Plus, as a fan, it's gonna be a helluva lot more exciting to see Revere diving for balls and stealing bases than seeing Plouffe try to get more extra base hits than he gives up in the field.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    revere's best position is 4th OFer right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Yeah, Benson is only a couple months older than Revere, he just started in the minors a year before he did. I still don't get though, why he's too talented to give up on, and people have already given up on Revere.

If nothing else, Revere is a guy who BROKE HIS FACE and was back playing in a manner of weeks. Bloggers have constantly been bitching that we need more guys who won't take half the season off because of a stubbed toe. Revere throws his whole body into the game, and fights like hell to get back when he's hurt. Plus, as a fan, it's gonna be a helluva lot more exciting to see Revere diving for balls and stealing bases than seeing Plouffe try to get more extra base hits than he gives up in the field.
    It's a matter of what Revere's skills will bring. He could potentially be a .300 hitter at the Major League level, but he's not going to have a very high on base percentage and his slugging percentage will most likely always be below .400. He should steal a lot of bases but the potential of that skill is negated somewhat because he won't be able to get on base at a high rate. As a defender, his arm is really bad. You really can't understate it. His range is awesome but you do have to have an arm, and I think left field is ideally Revere's position. Whereas, I could see Benson playing any position in the outfield with effectiveness.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I do find it interesting that Joe Benson is playing exclusively in CF this spring. To me, Revere isn't the kind of player that would make me move Span, but Benson would be.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, I think that they want to give Revere as many reps as possible at LF so they would not play him at CF. Based on the few games that Benson played at CF, I think that he is probably projecting to be a corner OF range and route-wise. Will be interesting to see whether he or Mastroianni (if both in AAA) will start at center for Rochester.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I think today's game showed what Benson brings to centerfield....and what Revere doesn't - an arm. Last week I watched Revere bobble a grounder in left and try to quickly throw it to 3rd when the runner tried to advance. I was surprised at the rainbow throw that was way off target. I can't see good things happening if he was in center. Even left field is going to be an adventure.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ShaneWahl,

My mistake Joe Benson is 24 and will start his first full season at Rochester in 2012. This should tell you all you need to know about his developement? Superstar players would be in the big leagues by now (See Jason Heyward, Evan Longoria, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden for more). Benson could become a great player but there is no doubt his development is slower than most 5-tool superstars. He also still struggles to make contact and strikesout way too often. I sure hope this is the year he finally comes to fruition. However, I will not hold my breath!!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Seth, I think that they want to give Revere as many reps as possible at LF so they would not play him at CF. Based on the few games that Benson played at CF, I think that he is probably projecting to be a corner OF range and route-wise. Will be interesting to see whether he or Mastroianni (if both in AAA) will start at center for Rochester.
    Thrylos, I can certainly agree with you on why Revere is playing in LF, for reps. That makes sense. But Benson's range is CF is not much less than Revere's, and his route-running is much better than Revere's. Arms aren't even comparable. Benson has primarily played CF in all but one of his minor league seasons. Last year, he played in CF 85 of 102 games. He's definitely a CF first. But he's such a great athlete, he can also play RF. Last year with the Twins was the first time he got much time in LF.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Benson... not quite sure I'd use the term "superstar" to describe him. He's got potential to be an above average player at any OF position, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an allstar game or two over his career if things pan out, but I dont' think he's a Mauer, Griffey JR, Longoria, etc. If I was a betting man, he'll basically put up Cuddyer offensive numbers with a much better defense.... that's a pretty good player, but not a superstar.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    "If I was a betting man, he'll basically put up Cuddyer offensive numbers with a much better defense.... that's a pretty good player, but not a superstar."

If he does that, Twins fans should be absolutely thrilled!! I'd take that any day!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

I agree with you!! Michael Cuddyer type production would be fantastic. I believe that Ryan was looking towards the future and viewed Benson as somebody who could replace Cuddyer in the outfield. I love his athletic ability but can he make the improvements needed to be an everyday player? I sure hope so because he is fun to watch. He is not afraid of making mistakes and plays the outfield (Like Revere) with no fear.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast