Thread: Article: Twins 2013 Class A Affiliation Gets Muddied

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins 2013 Class A Affiliation Gets Muddied

I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

One other factor to consider is that George Spelius is President of the Midwest League and lives in Beloit. Certainly he is going to look out for the best interests of Beloit. Even thought their facilities are subpar and they have failed at efforts to remodel or rebuild in Beloit, he is still a powerbroker in the discussion.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    One other factor to consider is that George Spelius is President of the Midwest League and lives in Beloit. Certainly he is going to look out for the best interests of Beloit. Even thought their facilities are subpar and they have failed at efforts to remodel or rebuild in Beloit, he is still a powerbroker in the discussion.
    I doubt that will affect who ends up paired with Beloit. It helps them preserve their place in the system, but at the end of the day they'll still probably be stuck with whoever is left over - last one picked

Blog Entries
    It's quite possible (even likely) that Spelius has helped keep Beloit in the MWL to this point, but even he can only prolong things for so long. Beloit's facilities have been arguably below standard for a couple of decades. As long as there have been occasional plans floated for new facilities in Beloit, there has been some rationale for patience. I'm not sure anyone is even pretending anymore that they may have a plan for a new ballpark in place any time soon. I've also heard Spelius' time as MWL president could be nearing an end (then again, I've been hearing that for at least a couple of years).

Every once in a while you'll hear people in the stands in Beloit talk about Spelius and how the team will be safe as long as he is there. I don't think there's really any truth to it, and if the team was losing money, they'd be gone.

As far as where the Twins will go in 2013, I still think CR is the overwhelming favorite and I'd go about 80%. I just don't see the St. Paul talk as anymore than speculation without any backing facts. Although, if they are serious about that idea, Peoria could make the most sense, because I see that as the most likely MWL team to move.

One minor quibble, If the Twins don't end up in CR, Peoria wouldn't be the only other option in the West. Both Clinton and Burlington also up this year. I don't see either as very likely, since I'd guess the Twins would just go back to Beloit since they wouldn't be big upgrades.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kernel's, Snappers. I like the originality, but wherever they end up can we at least have a good mascot?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Kernel's, Snappers. I like the originality, but wherever they end up can we at least have a good mascot?
    I'm not really a mascot expert, but I will say this much. The guy in the Kernels' "Mr Shucks" gear this year is really good. Very good at interacting with the kids and crowd in general and he's the best dancing mascot I've seen. When he gets on top of the dugout, he gets attention. I've heard he used to be an NBA team's mascot and this is his first year in CR. Gotta believe he'll be moving back up the mascot ladder, though.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for keeping us updated.