Thread: Article: Twins Prospects in Arizona

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Prospects in Arizona

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for Tonkin and Thielbar. I fear, a bit, for Darnell in the AFL. Evan Bigley is a surprise. Maybe they want to see if 2012 in NBR was for real, power-wise.

Have the rules changed.....have always read that its only 1 player below AA?
    Pretty close to what I had predicted (got Gibson/Benson/Bigley)
    Had Lance Ray over Tonkin w/Levi Michaels a sleeper...solid add
    Really thought they would have Hermsen over Darnell. Think it speaks volumns of what MN think of BJ (needs to be added this offseason or Rule V eigible)
    Thielbar is fine but I thought Matt Hauser might get a look, or maybe even Nate Hanson
    Other than Darnell, pretty solid list of guys who may be in MN next yr

Blog Entries
    I believe last year was the first year that teams could send TWO guys from A ball. I guess I didn't look to see if it changed back.

I don't think it says anything about Hermsen with the decision to send Darnell. I think that's more of an innings pitched thing, I would guess. Although it certainly makes his 40 man roster decision more difficult to predict.

Hermsen has 156.2IP
    Darnell 145 IP
    not that big of a difference. I take it as a lack of faith in BJ, which will truly be shown when the 40 man rosters come out.
    I woulda thought they would want to see BJ's average 'stuff' play against the better players in AFL.

Blog Entries
    NATE ROBERTS is also on the Peoria roster. Good for him, on-base machine, and he may stay there until Benson is ready.

Also on the Peoria team... Reds SB man Billy Hamilton!! that would be fun to watch!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Roberts is 23; should have been in FM. Needs to jump to AA next year early.

Blog Entries
    I can't even disagree with you. He's one guy that is probably where he is because of the playoffs, and I don't have a problem with that especially with all the missed time in 2011. However, he should move up quickly next year to make up some time. he's incredible at getting on-base, not just walks and HBP, but he is a professional hitter.

Blog Entries
    According to LaVelle... Joe Benson's rehab will likely be 3 months, taking him out of the AFL... good news for Nate Roberts, but unfortunately for Benson.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is not a lot of Top Prospects in this group.

Interesting that they would put a guy like Thielbar in the AFL. If they are going to send a bullpen guy, I would rather see Watts or Pugh but they must really like him.

I wonder why they send Bigley. With the OF depth the team has it seems he has little hope of making the team unless they are planning on trading a OF on the 25 man roster next year or they are hoping he puts on a show for a potential trade.

Blog Entries
    Watts and Pugh both went last year. They have decisions to make on all three of them. The AFL isn't a league just for top prospects. Maybe one or two per organization. For others, it's for help with decisions that need to be made by season's end.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    There is not a lot of Top Prospects in this group.

Interesting that they would put a guy like Thielbar in the AFL. If they are going to send a bullpen guy, I would rather see Watts or Pugh but they must really like him.

I wonder why they send Bigley. With the OF depth the team has it seems he has little hope of making the team unless they are planning on trading a OF on the 25 man roster next year or they are hoping he puts on a show for a potential trade.
    The AFL is a good place to see players continue playing after some kind of interesting season . . . whether it be injuries limiting time (Roberts, Gibson) or a jump in performance (Bigley) or a drop in performance (would have been Benson), it can serve to help clear up some question marks.

I think the Twins likely have confidence now in Watts and Pugh.

I agree about about Roberts and Fort Myers. Maybe they were trying to have Morales and Rams get their acts together with playing time as they certainly couldn't promote them. They could have pushed Ortiz to AA though.

Blog Entries
    Ortiz has hit .269/.312/.431 (.742) in 93 games with the Miracle after spending the first month in Beloit. I don't know that he's done anything yet to be pushed up. I agree that they would love to see Rams and Morales do something there. Roberts likely the best of that group.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Ortiz has hit .269/.312/.431 (.742) in 93 games with the Miracle after spending the first month in Beloit. I don't know that he's done anything yet to be pushed up. I agree that they would love to see Rams and Morales do something there. Roberts likely the best of that group.
    Rams and Morales just seem to muddle along in the under .250 group. Saw that Rams played a bit of LF this year,too.

Morales had a good game Wednesday, but they've been few and far between.

Danny Ortiz had a long dry spell, has been hitting better of late. Plenty of bodies that can play the OF in this org.

You have Willians/Lin/Leachman in addition to Roberts, Rosario still can play OF,and then you have Buxton/Kepler/Jimenez/Rhodes/Hicks/HendricksWalker, and out of this group, older guys who should be given an opp to jump up to FM next year if they start well.

have the Twins ever called up someone in Sept & then sent them to the AFL also.
    Specifically thinking about Hermann this year.
    Cant remember any, but not sure.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kubel I'm next to positive, he was called up, played in the playoffs, then tore his knee up in the AZL. I'm pretty sure there have been a few others as well.