Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 draft position

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I like the talk but it is way early for this right? At this point last year was Buxton even really on anyone's radar? And he was the best player in the draft.

Also, the college SS's that everyone was high on at this point ended up dropping quite a bit. People will emerge.
    buxton was firmly on everyone's radar at this point last year and was considered the top prep. your point is well taken but the reality is that the majority of the top picks are identified in the previous year, even prepsters. that said, the college crop was alleged to have two elite talents at this time last year - appel and devin marerro - so an awful lot is dependent on spring performance.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Apple would immediately be the Twins top pitching prospect. He projects as a number two starter. How is that not worth taking, given this staff? He is also pretty close to MLB ready. Passing on him would not make sense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    The Twins also had Boras clients Kyle Lohse and Carlos Gomez but both were traded for as prospects not drafted. Additionally, both were traded again before the Twins had to worry about serious arbitration and free agency. Unless the Twins start matching payroll with the big clubs, they'll probably spend their money more wisely than on a Boras client asking for 2x market value.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Ryan Stanek or nothing!!
    might want to learn his actual name if you're going to pimp him.
    Sorry, didn't know you couldn't talk a kid up cause his name is spelt stupid.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    apple would immediately be the twins top pitching prospect. He projects as a number two starter. How is that not worth taking, given this staff? He is also pretty close to mlb ready. Passing on him would not make sense.
    bpa!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    If the BPA is another toolsy outfielder and your gm will not trade prospects for major league players, where do you ever get pitching? Oh, and he will not sign elite free agents either....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the BPA is another toolsy outfielder and your gm will not trade prospects for major league players, where do you ever get pitching? Oh, and he will not sign elite free agents either....
    If the best player is gonna monster ceiling high school outfielder I would have no problem taking him. Lets not fool ourselfs into thinking the Twins are gonna compete anytime soon, load up the system with as many high ceiling players as you can.

NTM you can find arms outside of the first round.

Senior Member All-Star
    You can find monster outfielders outside the first round too. Where will the pitching come from if you pass on it at the top of the draft? And this isn't about next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    Ryan Stanek or nothing!!
    might want to learn his actual name if you're going to pimp him.
    Sorry, didn't know you couldn't talk a kid up cause his name is spelt stupid.
    you sure can, but i'm guessing knowing his name might make more people listen to you.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can find monster outfielders outside the first round too. Where will the pitching come from if you pass on it at the top of the draft? And this isn't about next year.
    I don't know, that's for the Twins to worry about. All I know is if the best player on the board when the Twins draft are toolsy high school kids for the next decade and they take them....I won't give a **** cause it's the right game plan. But locking yourself into taking an arm (like Appel or any of the highly ranked arms in this last draft or 2013) is a mistake.

Senior Member All-Star
    Why is it a mistake? BPA is just one philosophy. For me, if there is little difference, the should err on the pitching or middle infield side. If there is a medium difference, probably still err on the pitching side. if Bryce Harper is there, they should take him. But other than that, the discrepancy in ranking would need to be huge to continue passing on arms with high floors and very good ceilings.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why is it a mistake? BPA is just one philosophy. For me, if there is little difference, the should err on the pitching or middle infield side. If there is a medium difference, probably still err on the pitching side. if Bryce Harper is there, they should take him. But other than that, the discrepancy in ranking would need to be huge to continue passing on arms with high floors and very good ceilings.
    You realize that Appel, Zimmer, Gausmen were good prospects, but nothing that no Twins fan should cry over not drafting. They were the best of a group of medicore arms in a weak draft. Zeroing in on a arm hell of high water is a dumb way for any team to draft let alone one that's rebuilding. The Twins have alot of holes beyond the rotation and middle infield, so if it's all about talent you take best player and Buxton has if not the, one of the highest ceilings in this draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    I realize the Twins have 1 arm in their entire minor league system that has any experience as a starter that profiles as a number 2. ONE arm. I also realize that Buxton could bust, as could any of those arms. But, it is more likely Buxton busts (HS player from a small town), than a college pitcher that has succeeded against top teams. Sure, Buxton's ceiling is higher, but the Twins have ONE arm in their entire system that currently profiles to even be a number 2, maybe even only 1 that profiles as a number 3 (JO is just too young, against too low a group of opponents to know anything at this point). I also realize that a team needs 5-7 starters and 5-10 relievers a year, and the Twins don't have anywhere near that. I also realize this GM will not trade prospects for legit MLB players, won't sign high priced players, and so far has shown a complete unwillingness to deal veterans for prospects this time around. So, I ask again, even in 3-5 years, where will the pitchers come from if you won't draft a college pitcher in round 1 unless he's Strasburg?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take the BPA. Appel will have to sign for reasons noted above. Do not trust Boras, as he could be looking for a player to be a test court case on the major league draft. Twins seem to have done OK with sandwich pick pitching this year and next years second pick will be in that range as there will be less sandwich picks.

With Appel available at #3 next yr & he is again passed (no prob this yr), there will be a major fan revolt (of those of us that care).
    Reading an article on Appel. He's talked with his Stanford coach about how he is too used next season (innings, pitch counts, actual pitch selection, etc) preparing him for the majors. Maybe that will help him from becoming the next college blowout.
    Would Ryan/another GM consider Appel's Stanford season to be equal to a AA stint that he would have started the season off at and possibly pitch in majors next season??

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Appel would be the smart pick, next year is considered weaker then this year. Now yes all of that can change, but Appel is the top guy, and closest to the majors right now. He will be a senior. If he chooses not to sign, the Twins would get the draft pick 1 pick later the following year, which will probably be deeper. I think the sign ability issue just isn't there.

Now thats not to say some guy comes out of nowhere next year and is better, yes that guy should be picked. But don't pick against Appel if he is the best available.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, I ask again, even in 3-5 years, where will the pitchers come from if you won't draft a college pitcher in round 1 unless he's Strasburg?
    Jesus titty-****ing Christ man, what I'm arguing about is this idea that you lock into a arm hell or high water in the first round. I don't know or care about the bust probobility of Appel vs. Buxton and I don't think it matters one bit. The Twins are in a postion that adding high ceiling talent (no matter the position) should be goal number 1. Locking yourself into a certain position is a foolish way to rebuild a system.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I have no problem with Appel being picked at #3/4 if he's the best available. I said the same last year. In fact I would consider it to be a bit of a steal since the Twins would have gotten Buxton (decidedly the BPA) AND Appel.

If you allow need, proximity to the majors and signability to be the most important factors in the draft you set yourself up to lose over the long term. It's also very difficult to time the needs of the MLB team in the draft since it usually takes 2-5 yrs for most picks to make the majors. 3 yrs ago the Twins had a very good rotation and quite a few good (but not ace) arms in the minors. Just take the BPA (in the draft and trades) and worry about where to play them in 2-5 yrs.

Senior Member All-Star
    That only works if your gm is willing to trade his prospects....how big of a difference would there need to be to take a pitcher or not. Also, the Twins will have less picks next year. at some point, they need pitching.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That only works if your gm is willing to trade his prospects....how big of a difference would there need to be to take a pitcher or not. Also, the Twins will have less picks next year. at some point, they need pitching.
    You rank your top 1000 players of however many you rank and cross out names as you go. Whenever your turn is up you draft the best player on your board...were not reinventing the wheel here, this isn't rocket science here. Take the best...worry about here and how quick they'll get to the majors later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast