Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Arizona Fall League

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arizona Fall League

I have been wondering of late who the Twins ought to send to the AFL in 2012.

In 2011, this was the situation:

Player, 2011 performance, AFL performance, 2012 result:

Aaron Hicks, average, great, very good
    Brian Dozier, great, good, below average (no real AAA experience, misused by the Twins organization)
    Chris Herrmann, good, great, good (deserves promotion, obviously)
    Cole DeVries, average, good, above average (strangely adequate in MLB so far, but probably is best used as a replacement for Swarzak)
    Bruce Pugh, bad, bad, great (bounce-back 2012 provides depth for the bullpen in 2013 and easily by 2014)
    Dakota Watts, bad, bad, great (bounce-back 2012 provides depth for the bullpen in 2013 and easily by 2014)
    Brett Jacobsen, average, horrible, done (over)

So what about 2012?

Contenders include Herrmann again, Oswaldo Arcia, Deibinson Romero (see what happens), Chris Colabello (for real?), James Beresford (see what happens), Levi Michael and Lance Ray (because they each are coming on right now in the latter part of the season--they would be the A unlikely candidates) on the one hand, Anthony Slama (come on), Deolis Guerra, Watts again, Pugh again, Vasquez (as a starter, to see if it's for real), and Matt Hauser.

There are other contenders, no doubt, but I wanted to see what people thought of this list of players and pitchers.
    Last edited by Shane Wahl; 08-16-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Some can play in the other winter leagues like Guerra and Vasquez. An yone sent is probably being added to the 40-man roster this year or next.

Blog Entries
    Hicks and Herrmann repeat, then?

An addition: Rene Tosoni. Wouldn't that be a good idea? If he puts up in the offense-oriented AFL, then he can stay in the org and be a AAA player to start the year. If he doesn't put up, then maybe it is time to call it quits.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They don't repeat too often, although Parmelee did, so there is recent precedent. They can have two guys from Ft. Myers go. They likely will have 6 total, sometimes 7 (if they have a catcher).

Kyle Gibson will likely go, assuming all goes well in his rehab. Players from countries that have their own winter league aren't eligible, so that takes away a few you listed. Deibinson Romero is from the Dominican and he will become a minor league free agent 5 days after the World Series, so he's unlikely. Esmerling Vasquez is from the Dominican, plus he's not eligible due to too much big league service time. Also, it's not like they always just send the top prospects. They've said Hicks is going to play in Venezuela, likely with Arcia for Aragua. They may send Pugh back since he was so bad there last year and has been so good this year. I think Levi Michael makes sense. Matt Hauser might make sense. Lots of options.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am excited to see what Kyle Gibson can do against some of the best minor league hitters. Especially if he has a good couple of weeks as he works his way back through the farm system for the Twins. He could have a big impact on the rotation for next year and this experience could help him a ton.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anthony practically said that Gibson will go unless he has a set back. Arcia might go to Venezuela. BJ Hermsen will probably go. Evan Bigley too (a big surprise this season; at least in how much the organization thinks of him). Beresford and Benson are also Candidates. On the pitching side Logan Darnell, Matt Houser and A.J. Achter in addition to Gibson and Hermsen are also candidates
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Anthony practically said that Gibson will go unless he has a set back. Arcia might go to Venezuela. BJ Hermsen will probably go. Evan Bigley too (a big surprise this season; at least in how much the organization thinks of him). Beresford and Benson are also Candidates. On the pitching side Logan Darnell, Matt Houser and A.J. Achter in addition to Gibson and Hermsen are also candidates
    I am not sure how I neglected Gibson in the original post. He is a lock. Thrylos, you know that this org treats AAA like a dumping ground, so how can you claim it thinks highly of Bigley? What you and I think about the minor league system and how it ought to run is not relevant to how the Twins mistakenly do things. That they promoted Bigley is actually a *bad* sign for him. Somehow.

Gibson, Hermsen, Darnell, and Hauser are good choices for pitchers.

I don't think Beresford will go. I think he actually rightfully should start again at New Britain to see if he can raise that average up there. AFL 2013 for him. Benson should probably go because, like, what the hell is up with him? More at bats are needed to see what is going on there. Levi Michael and Lance Ray are two FTM options in my view, because they have progressively gotten better throughout the year.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd probably send Benson to see if he can get back on track. Gibson is a lock as well. They can send 3 more guys and there are rules with certain international guys that prevent them from going. Hendricks, Parmelee, and Dozier might not be bad ones to send either.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "To be eligible for the Arizona Fall League, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons."

Gibson was officially activated on August 13, which is far from 45 days before the end of the season. He was rehabbing outside of the 45-day window, but according to how the rules read, he'd be ineligible. Guessing that the rules would be bent to include guys like Gibson (i.e. former 1st round pick and top 100 prospect).

Only non americans can go with they arent from a country without a winter league....so no Arcia/Romero/etc
    If Benson's knee is ok, he's a lock with Gibson.
    Also think Hermsen is a lock, as they want to see his average stuff against top competition.
    I predicted Bigley mainly due to some TV comments Tom Kelly made about how the organization thinks of him.
    Only 1 players below AA can go. I could see Levi Michaels but I predicted Lance Ray with Michael Tonkin 2nd.
    Also could see Matt Hauser or David Bromberg if they go pitcher or possibly Nate Hanson if they want him to get more time @ 2B.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=490

Gibson
    Darnell
    Thielbar
    Tonkin

Herrmann

Bigley
    Nate Roberts

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gibson and Tonkin are no surprise to me. Thielbar a little bit but not a ton. Herrmann is no surprise to me. Others I don't know enough about.

The only guy that is not on the list that was surprising was Hermsen but I'm going to guess that innings are are reason he isn't going.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is an article where the discussion on the actual choices can be had.