Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Tommy John for Lester Oliveros?

  1. #21
    who's all had the TJ this yr??
    Scot Baker
    Lester Oliveros
    Alex Wimmers
    Matt Maloney
    Daniel Sattler

    Carlos Gutierrez had shoulder surgery
    Manuel Sollimon had shoulder surgery

    Any word on Adrian Salcedo??

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    yeah you can DFA him, but another team is gonna claim him & stash him on the 60 day DL till he recovers. Arm is still too valuable to give him away for nothing.
    If nobody were to claim him he'd be a 6yr FA, so are ya gonna risk losing him over 400k
    First, I don't think anybody will claim an injured player (especially one who is going to miss and entire year). I would be very surprised if it happens.

    2nd, I don't think an injured player would elect to become a minor league FA. $72k is still better than nothing.
    Teams claim/sign injured players...think TEX gave Brandon Webb a 2 yr deal & he never pitched.
    It doesnt take up a roster spot if you're put on 60 day DL...what's the risk

    If he did clear waivers, I think he automatically becomes a FA.....MN/ROC would have to sign him

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For a little perspective, here is a Tommy John tracker:
    http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/2010/0...n-tracker.html

    Apparently pitchers outside the Twins organization undergo the procedure from time to time as well.
    Papers...business papers.

  4. #24
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,412
    Like
    165
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    This should actually be considered progress. He was shut down a month ago. Typically, he'd end up having Tommy John sometime next spring.

  5. #25
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    995
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    who's all had the TJ this yr??
    Scot Baker
    Lester Oliveros
    Alex Wimmers
    Matt Maloney
    Daniel Sattler

    Carlos Gutierrez had shoulder surgery
    Manuel Sollimon had shoulder surgery

    Any word on Adrian Salcedo??
    Technically we can add Joel Zumaya to that list too.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    930
    Like
    72
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    When pitchers sign with the Twins they should also go ahead and schedule their TJ surgeries.
    Wasn't funny any of the last 18,742 times somebody's used that line. Isn't funny now.

  7. #27
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,920
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Jhon Garcia had Tommy John earlier in the year.

    Adrian Salcedo is still rehabbing his shoulder, although he had elbow problems first.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    511
    Like
    0
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Hi, you've been acquired by the Minnesota Twins. Please sign this form to reserve a spot for Tommy John surgery...

  9. #29
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    When pitchers sign with the Twins they should also go ahead and schedule their TJ surgeries.
    Wasn't funny any of the last 18,742 times somebody's used that line. Isn't funny now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107
    Hi, you've been acquired by the Minnesota Twins. Please sign this form to reserve a spot for Tommy John surgery...
    Intentional or not, that is pretty funny.

  10. #30
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,614
    Like
    824
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Intentional or not, that is pretty funny.
    The 18,743rd time's the charm.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  11. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    426
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    yeah you can DFA him, but another team is gonna claim him & stash him on the 60 day DL till he recovers. Arm is still too valuable to give him away for nothing.
    If nobody were to claim him he'd be a 6yr FA, so are ya gonna risk losing him over 400k
    First, I don't think anybody will claim an injured player (especially one who is going to miss and entire year). I would be very surprised if it happens.

    2nd, I don't think an injured player would elect to become a minor league FA. $72k is still better than nothing.
    Teams claim/sign injured players...think TEX gave Brandon Webb a 2 yr deal & he never pitched.
    It doesnt take up a roster spot if you're put on 60 day DL...what's the risk

    If he did clear waivers, I think he automatically becomes a FA.....MN/ROC would have to sign him
    We'll see what happens.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Pitchers get TJS in this day and age, it's hard to blame the Twins for this happening. However they can be blamed for waiting so long on quite a few of these guys, but interestingly enough, they had no idea he needed TJS until they cut him open.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    For a little perspective, here is a Tommy John tracker:
    http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/2010/0...n-tracker.html

    Apparently pitchers outside the Twins organization undergo the procedure from time to time as well.
    Yeah, I really think a lot of fans are missing the point. If you follow baseball (or even fantasy baseball), I've really never had the sense that pitchers in the Twins organization are any more prone to Tommy John surgery than in other organizations around baseball. I've never heard complaints of pitchers in the minors being overworked, and Gardenhire has actually been criticized for being TOO cautious with pitchers at the big league level (though he does overwork certain relievers at times). I remember Santana when he was just emerging as a star would rarely get to 100 pitchers, and Gardy angrily defended his decision to take him out of games early.

    Tommy John surgery happens - I liken it to horse racing, where the animals have been bred to be extremely musclebound, yet with a lightweight bone structure that puts them at risk of broken legs. It should be apparent by now (after an era of extreme muscle training, steroids, HGH, etc.) that there is a physical limit on how hard the collection of bones and soft tissue we call the human body can propel a baseball. That limit is just over 100mph, and what's amazing about that is that Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan were throwing that hard without "modern" training and nutrition, and the same was probably true of even earlier pitchers. However, there is some anecdoal evidence from pitchers of the Christy Matthewson era that while pitchers threw tons of innings on short rest, they weren't always exerting themselves 100% during the course of a game. That may be a partial explanation for what's happened. Of course, prior to Tommy John surgery, pitchers DID get hurt - you just never heard from them again after they blew out their elbow.

    Where the Twins are rippable is that they fail to diagnose a TJ situation, and they have this fear of the procedure like it's the kiss of death. It isn't anymore. You're essentially giving a pitcher a replacement part for soft tissue parts of the elbow that have been worn out over many years. Pitchers who recover from TJ surgery almost always end up throwing as hard (or harder) as they did before the procedure. So when the Twins mess around with guys like Baker and pretend like it will just get better, they're doing both themselves and the player a great disservice. It's better to get the damn thing fixed and get back to your career sooner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.