Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy John for Lester Oliveros?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tommy John for Lester Oliveros?

Twins reliever Lester Oliveros was shut down more than a month ago with elbow issues. I believe that he was going to have bone chips removed. However, within the last 10 minutes, Lester Oliveros tweeted the following, "Yaa listo mi operacion de tommy john... Salio todo bien gracias a dios ahora a recuperarme para volver al monticulo lo mas pronto posible..."

Using Google Translate, it roughly translates to "Yaa ready my Tommy John surgery ... Everything went well thank god now recover to return to the mound as soon as possible .."

Maybe he is ready for it, or everything went well. but now he's thanking god that he can recover and return as soon as possible.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    CONFIRMED - TwinsBaseball.com's Rhett Bollinger tweeted that Assistant GM Rob Antony just verified that Lester Oliveros had Tommy John surgery today.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    @#$^
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    @#$^
    Maybe Berrios should just schedule his TJ now to get it out of the way.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Just got a note from Terry Ryan saying that the doctor got into the elbow area today and realized that the had to repair the UCL. Very similar to the Scott Baker surgery, although from the sounds of it, the Twins weren't as surprised by Oliveros needing TJ.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Yaa ready" means already. He already got Tommy John....I wonder which Twins pitcher is next.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    It could be much, much worse. We could still have Delmon trolling LF

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this thread fictional? I am being serious.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    No, it's real. Lester Oliveros had Tommy John surgery today.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    No, it's real. Lester Oliveros had Tommy John surgery today.
    You can't make this (bleep) up. I assumed it wasn't, but I had to ask out of the ridiculousness of all the injury dealios we have had this and last season. Here's to a healthy and expedient recovery Lester!

Frustrating
    I posted something earlier this summer about Patrick Reusse talking about him needing to have TJ surgery, but nothing came of it & Lester started pitching again. Wonder if he was told about the possibility.
    Opens up a spot on the 40 man next spring when they 60 day DL him. Could be used for a vet type.
    There was also a thread commentating on how bone chip surgery can easily lead to TJ surgery. This helps that arguement

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    They did a good job of keeping this one under wraps.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought "Tommy John for Lester Oliveros" was a roster move the Twins were considering. With Roger Clemens pitching again, it didn't seem that far-fetched that Tommy John would be considering a comeback, too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Opens up a spot on the 40 man next spring when they 60 day DL him.
    I don't think this is the case. He would have to be on the ML Roster to go on the 60 Day DL. Since he is in the minors, I don't believe that they can do that.

I believe last year Blomberg was on the 40-man roster all year even though he was out with an injury all season.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I don't think this is the case. He would have to be on the ML Roster to go on the 60 Day DL. Since he is in the minors, I don't believe that they can do that.

I believe last year Blomberg was on the 40-man roster all year even though he was out with an injury all season.
    If you are injured in minor leagues, you are correct that they cannot be 60 day'd on 40 man roster.
    However, next spring he is still vieing for a spot on the team & can be moved to 60 day when the season starts but he also wont be charged an option year right away. It will get Oliveros a full salary share also for the time on the DL (minimum of 500K over the 72K he woulda made in AAA so the injury is a good financial decision!!!)

Do you have to keep a Tommy John pitcher on your 40-man roster, or can you DFA and just keep him in the organization.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post

If you are injured in minor leagues, you are correct that they cannot be 60 day'd on 40 man roster.
    However, next spring he is still vieing for a spot on the team & can be moved to 60 day when the season starts but he also wont be charged an option year right away. It will get Oliveros a full salary share also for the time on the DL (minimum of 500K over the 72K he woulda made in AAA so the injury is a good financial decision!!!)
    So you think that they should pay him an extra $430k and give him a whole year of ML Service time to recover from TJ surgery?

Assuming that they re-sign him it they will outright him to Rochester.

yeah you can DFA him, but another team is gonna claim him & stash him on the 60 day DL till he recovers. Arm is still too valuable to give him away for nothing.
    If nobody were to claim him he'd be a 6yr FA, so are ya gonna risk losing him over 400k

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When pitchers sign with the Twins they should also go ahead and schedule their TJ surgeries.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    yeah you can DFA him, but another team is gonna claim him & stash him on the 60 day DL till he recovers. Arm is still too valuable to give him away for nothing.
    If nobody were to claim him he'd be a 6yr FA, so are ya gonna risk losing him over 400k
    First, I don't think anybody will claim an injured player (especially one who is going to miss and entire year). I would be very surprised if it happens.

2nd, I don't think an injured player would elect to become a minor league FA. $72k is still better than nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast