Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Twins top 10 prospects

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    The MLB is not a Roto-league... having outstanding CF defensive skills AND plus base running ability counts (IMHO even more than plus hitting because they do not go through slumps). I am not saying Arcia is a terrible defender, but he is no better than an average corner outfielder and reports indicate that he is a below average runner (but not a base clogger).

All-in-all, this is a much better debate to have than 5(?) years ago when we were discussing whether Angel Morales' monster Appy League numbers would hold up despite his very high strikeout rate.
    I know it counts. Arcia is also a capable OF. You're dismissing the gap between the 2. Again, Hicks is 1.5 years older and finally put up a nice season. Arcia has destroyed every level and is so young that developing more power is a given. Hicks will be a fine player if he continues to improve and builds on this year. Arcia will be a monster if he continues to improve and builds on this year. The defensive ability of Hicks wont outweigh a 100+ difference in OPS.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,513 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    The MLB is not a Roto-league... having outstanding CF defensive skills AND plus base running ability counts (IMHO even more than plus hitting because they do not go through slumps). I am not saying Arcia is a terrible defender, but he is no better than an average corner outfielder and reports indicate that he is a below average runner (but not a base clogger).

All-in-all, this is a much better debate to have than 5(?) years ago when we were discussing whether Angel Morales' monster Appy League numbers would hold up despite his very high strikeout rate.
    I know it counts. Arcia is also a capable OF. You're dismissing the gap between the 2. Again, Hicks is 1.5 years older and finally put up a nice season. Arcia has destroyed every level and is so young that developing more power is a given. Hicks will be a fine player if he continues to improve and builds on this year. Arcia will be a monster if he continues to improve and builds on this year. The defensive ability of Hicks wont outweigh a 100+ difference in OPS.
    Personally, I rank Arcia higher than Hicks but it's close. Arcia gets the nod for being a better hitter and being younger. Hicks keeps it close by getting on base, playing centerfield, and being a threat on the basepaths.

John and I have discussed why some Twins hitters fall off the radar during their stints in A/AA and then rebound later in their MiLB career. Parmelee and Plouffe did that. Hicks looks like he's doing it. We wondered if the Twins put such an emphasis on going the other way, taking good ABs, and drilling fundamentals that it takes guys awhile to adjust and then when they "get it", they break out in the upper minors. I'm starting to think that is a real possibility, which is why I think an argument can be made for both Hicks and Arcia. Some guys "get it" more quickly than others and I'm not going to hold that against Aaron Hicks now that it looks like he's coming around.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I also like the optimism about Sano sticking at 3B. I really really really hope that can happen, but I'd bet $$ he's in RF when he debuts with the Twins.
    Given the difficulty in finding third basemen in this league, I think the Twins really need to push Sano hard at third base until they are completely out of options. I don't care if it takes Sano another year to reach the majors; given the position scarcity of third base historically, it's in everyone's best interest if he finds a way to stick at third.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    While I on the other hand want Sano up here asap. It's a waste of a year or two of his MLB career to keep him down when he could be up.

I long for the day when Ryan will trade from his prospect strengths to fill in holes.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    While I on the other hand want Sano up here asap. It's a waste of a year or two of his MLB career to keep him down when he could be up.
    Does it really matter? You get six years out of the guy no matter what. In many ways, it's better to get those six years from 24-30 than from 22-28. Most guys don't really break out until their age 24-25 seasons, with their peak coming at age 27-28. I'm not saying the Twins should keep Sano down until 2016 but if it takes a little longer to turn him into an adequate third baseman, I can wait and so should the organization.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My guess is Sano starts in Fort Myers, and assuming he starts well, will move up to New Britain when the weather gets warmer. My guess is then that in 2014 he will start the season in AAA and then prolly move up around July 1st.

Though he had good numbers at low A, it wasn't like he completely destroyed low A either. He struck out his fair share and had a period where his defense struggled.

I'd go with the same plan for Vargas

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post

Arcia was also a CF until he got promoted and had to share the OF with Hicks, so let's not pretend he's some plodding outfielder. He might not be the quickest guy out there, but I have a tough time believing that a decent CF switching to RF couldn't be above average with the glove. Add to it what smerf said, he's out hit Hicks at every level, and he's younger. Buxton has no experience. In my mind, I'd have a tough time deciding between Sano and Arcia for number 1. Both look like middle of the order bats, and while Sano has a higher ceiling, Arcia looks like he's going to get pretty close to his.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
    Jim Callis today (in Ask BA) was asked to do a top 10 and put Buxton at #9 overall.

I personally would put Sano ahead of Buxton...I imagine Sano was not far out of the top 10.
    Papers...business papers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234