Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bollinger: Led by Sano, Twins Improve on Top 100 lists

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Perhaps Arcia was an oversight. Perhaps after looking at his stats, MLB.com assumed the Twins had called him up long ago and his prospect status was terminated.

Or perhaps MLB.com said to themselves, "Something must be terribly wrong with this young man, because there is no other explanaion as to why he wasn't in AAA after the All-Star break."

MLB.com Top 100 Prospects

never mind
    Last edited by TwinsFanInPhilly; 09-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Many different prospect listings & always thought MLBs was a little (lot) off. Baseball America is my favorite & IMO, most accurate..
    This listing is proof of that to myself

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Perhaps Arcia was an oversight. Perhaps after looking at his stats, MLB.com assumed the Twins had called him up long ago and his prospect status was terminated.

Or perhaps MLB.com said to themselves, "Something must be terribly wrong with this young man, because there is no other explanaion as to why he wasn't in AAA after the All-Star break."
    Arcia has all of 299 PAs in New Britain. The Twins didn't do anything wrong by keeping him in AA until the end of the season. He'll probably start the 2013 season in AAA.

As for this list, I don't like it much. On the upside, the Twins look like they might have a top 10 farm system if Gibson continues to pitch well in the AFL. There's an outside chance we'll see six Twins players on top 100 lists next spring.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

Arcia has all of 299 PAs in New Britain. The Twins didn't do anything wrong by keeping him in AA until the end of the season. He'll probably start the 2013 season in AAA.

As for this list, I don't like it much. On the upside, the Twins look like they might have a top 10 farm system if Gibson continues to pitch well in the AFL. There's an outside chance we'll see six Twins players on top 100 lists next spring.

I completely agree. Leaving Arcia (and Hicks) off the call-up list was correct. They are young guys. We need to be patient and let the process work. They will be in Target field soon enough.

Regarding Rosario vs Arcia, I feel Rosario is a better prospect. At 2nd base with the numbers he can put up I feel it makes him more exceptional than Arcia. Apply Rosarios numbers to a full season of at bats and you are looking at 100 RBIs and 18 HR from a skinny, 170lb guy. I can't wait to see how he fares in Ft. Myers next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    First - that top 20 list just sucks but I've never thought that much of that site when it came to ranking prospects.

Second - I think people spend too much time debating the rankings of the 2nd-5th prospects (and even Sano) in this system. They are all really close and they are also completely different. It's easy to understand why someone would be lower/higher on any one of them.

Third - someone really needs to make an argument that Harrison is top 10. He has nice upside but he really didn't do anything in the appy league this year. An .844 OPS (with a .374 BAPIP) isn't that exciting from someone that will almost certainly be limited to 1B. Polanco who isn't even on MLB's top 20 list beat him in everything I look at including power and is supposed to have great defense.

I don't think goodrum was slighted at all. He was absolutely awful after his amazing June. He has upside but he is a big work in progress.

gibson still gets the shaft on that list (mentioned already). He is absolutely locked into the 6/7 spots with Berrios on my list with Kepler making the strongest case for #8. After that it's a lot more wide open.
    Last edited by kab21; 09-07-2012 at 11:47 PM.

still laughing at Arcia's ranking as many (Keith Law had him @ 85 entering the yr) have had Arcia much higher during the season & his monster AA half season will get him to top 75 in the real rankings.

Meh. I think these type of prospect ranking lists are purely for entertainment and don't mean too much to me. What's the criteria? Based on what they've done in the minors up to now? Based on potential ceiling? If it's the latter, then it's pretty subjective. I'd rather just look at the top performers at each position by level.

Projecting guys in Rookie ball to be your "Top Prospects" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron. Those guys are the farthest away from the big leagues and you've had the least amount of time to evaluate them. A lot can happen on the way up the chain. Example: The last Twins pitcher to dominate Rookie ball like Berrios was Shooter Hunt.

I do like to look at the lists when they come out. But like most of you, I rarely agree with the rankings.
    Last edited by Buck Nasty; 09-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    If you want to sound like you don't know what you're talking about then you're off to a good start. Hunt was a 22 yr old college pitcher and Berrios is an 18 yr old HS pitcher.

the problem that I have with the ranking is that they are still putting a guy like Angel Morales in the list. He hasn't done anything in 2.5 seasons and he'll probably be out of the org this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    If you want to sound like you don't know what you're talking about then you're off to a good start. Hunt was a 22 yr old college pitcher and Berrios is an 18 yr old HS pitcher.

the problem that I have with the ranking is that they are still putting a guy like Angel Morales in the list. He hasn't done anything in 2.5 seasons and he'll probably be out of the org this offseason.
    LOL - yeah.....because we all know that there has never been a case where an 18 year old dominated rookie ball and then flamed out at higher levels. That was the point - a lot can happen between Rookie Ball and AAA, so I personally don't get too excited about prospects until they move a little higher up the ladder. And for the record, Shooter was 21 not 22 when he was drafted - not that it matters to my point. But for someone who starts off posts accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about....you would think they'd get their own posts right - lol!

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
    lol!

Senior Member All-Star
    LOL - yeah.....because we all know that there has never been a case where an 18 year old dominated rookie ball and then flamed out at higher levels. That was the point - a lot can happen between Rookie Ball and AAA, so I personally don't get too excited about prospects until they move a little higher up the ladder. And for the record, Shooter was 21 not 22 when he was drafted - not that it matters to my point. But for someone who starts off posts accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about....you would think they'd get their own posts right - lol!
    I'm the first one to remind people not to get carried away regarding Berrios but you seem to be disregarding him because he hasn't played at a high enough level yet. He has really good stats AND he has a really good scouting report.

And lets be honest a 43% K rate while walking 4 total batters is something that I haven't seen from an 18 yr old even if it is in rookie ball. full season ball will be his first big test but there are legit reasons to be excited about him.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm the first one to remind people not to get carried away regarding Berrios but you seem to be disregarding him because he hasn't played at a high enough level yet. He has really good stats AND he has a really good scouting report.

And lets be honest a 43% K rate while walking 4 total batters is something that I haven't seen from an 18 yr old even if it is in rookie ball. full season ball will be his first big test but there are legit reasons to be excited about him.
    It just comes down to how much value you put into smaller sample sizes at lower levels. The last 18/19 yr old to rack up similar numbers at Elizabethon was probably Alex Smit. His second year (age 19) he racked up 0.81 WHIP and a 16.95 K/9. It's worth getting excited about. But it seems we both agree a full season in A ball will tell us a lot more about a player than Rookie level does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12