Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parmelee at Third?

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Weddings! View Post
    I'm comfortable with the possibility that there is a hypothetical player who is athletic enough to play third base in spite of throwing left-handed. I do not believe, however, that Chris Parmelee is the specific manifestation of that talent.
    I agree... Never say never... Who knows what the future brings. However... That hypothetical player will have to survive his high school coach who will look at him throwing left handed and hand him a 1st base mitt. If he survives the high school coach... He will have to survive his college coach who is laughing at the high school coach while handing him a 1st base mitt. If he survives the high school coach and the college coach... He will have to survive the MLB front office and all of the scouts and coaches employed by the organization that drafts him.

And... If he survives High School, College and MLB and is still playing 3B at the professional level. He will have to survive the very talented other 3B in the organization who are right handed... Top of the line athletes who don't have to spin around completely just to make a throw on every ground ball hit to his right.

Also knowing all of that... If I was that left handed third baseman. I would be begging my high school coach to be taken off of 3B and moved to 1B or OF... Because if you have the talent to be a major league player. The coaches will have seriously harmed his future by being irresponsible.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Short answer, no.

Long answer, noooooooooooooo.
    looooooooooooool

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    I had to double check to make sure this wasn't the STrib blogs.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't think you now give up on Plouffe just yet...his thumb injury really set him back and you have been this patient so far why not give him every chance to come in next yr and keep the 3B job?? and learning a new position at the ML level is not that simple, if Morneau is still here next season Parm will be the RF...if not he'll be the 1B but either Span/Justin or both will most certainly be gone cuz Parm will be in the lineup.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Lefties don't play third base. There have been 4 in the history of the game who have played more then 50 games at the position.
    Wow. I'm kind of shocked it's even that many.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Lefties don't play third base. There have been 4 in the history of the game who have played more then 50 games at the position.
    Wow. I'm kind of shocked it's even that many.
    I don't know but I would guess they're all from the mid 1800's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Morneau will be gone next year, either at the trade deadline or leaving via free agency, then the first base job will be Parmalee's.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Parmelee puts his glove on the wrong hand for 3B.

Not only would he have to play a position he has never played before. He would have to spin around and do a unique dance before making throws across the diamond. That's a tough thing to add to a guy who hasn't played the position before.
    It's funny how many posts it took to get to this little but important detail.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Plouffe has played very little 3B, let's give him another year....

The answer is easy, trade Morneau, and sign some starting pitching. Put Hicks or Arcia in RF. This isn't really that hard to figure out.
    A big yup on that one. Twins are in yet another transition period, and they're going to need more pitching. Trade Morneau and Span for pitching, play Parmelee and bring up Hicks and Arcia. Even us peanut gallery folk can read the crayon on that wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12