Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Justin Morneau Reminds Twins Fans That He's Still Here

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Piching is over rated, we don't need anymoe pitchers.
    Butera and Slama take care of the 2013 rotation needs, IMO.
    What?

The Twins need pitching, but they also need fans in the stands. Morneau produces, and most fans notice this. I consider Morneau untradeable until Sano shows up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Fans show up for winners. They will not show up for crappy teams just because morneau is there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fans show up for winners. They will not show up for crappy teams just because morneau is there.
    I agree that winning has the largest effect on attendance however, star players certainly do help drive attendance up whether a team is at the bottom or the top of the rollercoaster ride that is sports.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Player G AB R H 2B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG▼ OBP SLG OPS

Morneau, J 51 192 28 61 12 8 35 17 33 0 0 . 318 .369 . 516 . 884
    This is Morneau since the All Star game.
    x3 = 153 games played . 24 HR, 105 RBI, 36 2b, .318 Avg,
    How much is that worth ? Trade him ? You can't get enough to make a trade worthwhile.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    TRADE HIM. Do it while he's hot so we can maximize his value. Get pitching and never look back.
    I doubt he gets much this offseason. I'd expect his value to be at its peak come July... He's cheaper, and I woudln't be shocked in the least if he had an OPS north of .900 to go with it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Morneau is one of the most popular players on the Twins team. It is remarkable that he has come back from all the injuries to produce again and be an exciting player. Good for him. I thought he was done... I will be okay with a trade ONLY if we can get a quality pitcher for him. If he has to go, I hope he gets traded to a winning team AND wins another MVP award. That's how much I like him.

Liked 662 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    Morneau is one of the most popular players on the Twins team. It is remarkable that he has come back from all the injuries to produce again and be an exciting player. Good for him. I thought he was done... I will be okay with a trade ONLY if we can get a quality pitcher for him. If he has to go, I hope he gets traded to a winning team AND wins another MVP award. That's how much I like him.
    I'm with ya. I remember when Justin was in the minors. Meintkewicz was the guy in front of him and I was just waiting for Morneau. Morneau became bigger and bigger in my eyes just because he was still in the minors when his power was needed at the Dome. Waiting for his arrival made me a huge Morneau Fan because you can't support something like that and not be a fan.

Been a fan since day one.

Now I'm at the point where I want that pitching as bad as I wanted Morneau to be called up.

If I am the Twins, I try and extend Morneau to a more manageable salary for about three more years. He is showing the hint of coming back to being a productive middle of the order bat, he can still play good defense, and his value is at an all time low. Morneau will not fetch the starting pitching we need so trading him is not an option in my opinion. He is more valuable to the Twins as a buy low, power bat especially if we can sign him to the final extension of his career. Worse case, we have a moderate investment into a solid C/DH/1B platoon between Morneau, Mauer, Parmalee, and Doumit with Parmalee getting into the outfield rotation as needed. This frees up to possibility of trading Span, Revere or Willingham for much needed pitching help, all whom I think would bring a greater return.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm just counting down the days till he's gone...14 million can be spent better places then a dizzy 1B.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I'm just counting down the days till he's gone...14 million can be spent better places then a dizzy 1B.
    Who has an OPS+ of 122; identical to his 2007 season. Of course, that includes his stretch of futility prior to the All-Star break.

You're bad at this.

I hope DPJ can count really high because I have enjoyed Morneau's contributions and hope he continues.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    I hope DPJ can count really high because I have enjoyed Morneau's contributions and hope he continues.
    I have my doubts that he can count very high, sorry.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Who has an OPS+ of 122; identical to his 2007 season. Of course, that includes his stretch of futility prior to the All-Star break.

You're bad at this.
    DPJ pretty much hates everyone on the team that is halfway decent but gets paid well. For years he railed against Cuddyer and Baker and now it's Morneau. Sure they make a little too much but not everyone is going to be elite or making the MLB min.

He also hates perkins and Plouffe. His track record is spotty at best.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have let the Dodgers have him for nothing if they really wanted him. Let Parmelee play 1B and use the funds to get some arms.

I was hoping someone was gonna hit him good in the head and make him dizzy again after that walkoff.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Let Parmelee play 1B and use the funds to get some arms.
    The funds should be there to get some arms regardless. Signing them is another matter. It's hard enough to get one decent free agent starter, you can't assume that dumping Morneau means you get more.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I was hoping someone was gonna hit him good in the head and make him dizzy again after that walkoff.
    That crosses the line. You can dislike him. You can dislike how much he is paid. You can hope that he is traded. You can have doubts that he will stay healthy. But to hope that a player -- whether for your team or another -- is injured is pretty sick.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    The funds should be there to get some arms regardless. Signing them is another matter. It's hard enough to get one decent free agent starter, you can't assume that dumping Morneau means you get more.
    True, but it gives the Twins the funds and ability to overpay (which they might have to) to get those arms. NTM Parmelee isn't an OF, he should be at 1B.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Having the will to sign them is another. We'll see how much "Will" Terry Ryan has this off-season.

For now, I'm not getting my hopes up. He has said that he doesn't think free agency is the way to acquire starting pitching -- if he spends more than $12-$15 million, I'll be surprised. Look for a Pavano-type (not Pavano but an innings eater) and someone like Baker (cheap plus incentives).

True, but it gives the Twins the funds and ability to overpay (which they might have to) to get those arms. NTM Parmelee isn't an OF, he should be at 1B.
    If it comes down to something like that, I would hope they bring the pitcher (or pitchers) in first, then look to deal Morneau away later if they insist on trimming payroll. You don't want to deal Morneau early, then find you don't have any decent players to spend his money on.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Having the will to sign them is another.
    That certainly plays a part as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast