Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Value

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau trade target one: Boston Red Sox

Potential players in return (MLB new prospect rank): 5. RHP Allen Webster: ETA 2013 and 10. 3B Garin Cecchini, ETA: 2014. (with possible Anthony Swarzak throw-in)

Boston is not going to be comfortable with James Loney, and who knows about David Ortiz. While Boston is all over the place with their pitching, I would expect them to sign one top SP in the offseason, so Webster is more expendable. Cecchini is promising, but blocked.

Mauer has no trade value as evidenced by zero waiver claims. A singles hitting DH owed 100 mil will net you at best a Vernon Wells contract in return. Sadly, Blacky is just as likely as Mauer to net a prospect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Mauer has no trade value as evidenced by zero waiver claims. A singles hitting DH owed 100 mil will net you at best a Vernon Wells contract in return. Sadly, Blacky is just as likely as Mauer to net a prospect.
    The vitriol never stops with you toward Mauer, does it? Zero waiver claims has NOTHING to do with whether or not a trade would happen. If you don't understand that you know nothing about revocable waivers.

29 doubles, 3 triples, and 9 homers this year so far. .860 OPS.

68 games catching, 27 at 1B, and 35 at DH this year.

You dont understand waivers. If anyone thought it was a fair contract they would claim and hope the Twins outright release him for free. No one wanted to chance that thus Mauer has zero trade value.

Mauer is a great hitter but a part time catcher making huge dollars has no trade value.

No current Twin has much trade value. Mauer has way too big a contract. Morneau has a one year ($14 mill) big contract and a concussion history (one more and he will retire like Koskie), Span has proven to be injury prone, Revere may be the best but doesnt walk and has poor arm, Willingham is a DH playing LF, Doumit has injury history (though not this year), Plouffe may have value if he has another year like this...

The biggest trade value probably go to Sano and Hicks--but you dont trade your best projects (also true for Parmalee).

Blog Entries
    No. No one is stupid enough to believe that the Twins would "outright release him for free." It would have been a COMPLETE waste of time for any team to bother and they ALL knew that.

Just about the whole roster is put on revocable waivers to muddle things up and disguise true trade interests.

Yikes.

You are just wrong about Mauer's trade value. It's 6/$138 million remaining, correct? Teams often sign players to such deals knowing that the latter half to 1/3 of the contract is going to be dubious. The point is that those teams want to win and win every year.

The Red Sox would throw a lot to get Mauer, for instance. They have several shortstops and pitchers in the system, and I think two of their top 10 prospects are actually catchers. I could see four top 15 Boston prospects coming quite easily.

It would still be a mistake for the Twins to do it (unless they were unloading . . . everybody), but to deny this reality is quite strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    No. No one is stupid enough to believe that the Twins would "outright release him for free." It would have been a COMPLETE waste of time for any team to bother and they ALL knew that.

Just about the whole roster is put on revocable waivers to muddle things up and disguise true trade interests.

Yikes.

You are just wrong about Mauer's trade value. It's 6/$138 million remaining, correct? Teams often sign players to such deals knowing that the latter half to 1/3 of the contract is going to be dubious. The point is that those teams want to win and win every year.

The Red Sox would throw a lot to get Mauer, for instance. They have several shortstops and pitchers in the system, and I think two of their top 10 prospects are actually catchers. I could see four top 15 Boston prospects coming quite easily.

It would still be a mistake for the Twins to do it (unless they were unloading . . . everybody), but to deny this reality is quite strange.
    I want what this guy is smoking if he thinks any team would take Mauers contract AND give up a prospect!!!

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Yeah... by not trading a guy just a few months into his deal we missed the boat. How do you expect to convince guys to sign here long-term without NTC's if you trade them away at the midpoint of the first year of a multi year deal?

Willingham's value hasn't plummeted... and could still be traded in the future.
    Selling high is selling high. Players follow money - you can still lure free agents. Trading Hammer wasn't exactly going to shutter the windows in the offseason.

And a 33 year old on a career year is a threat to plummet in value at any point. Hell, look how much you could argue Span's value plummeted in just the last year.

Blog Entries

Yikes.

I want what this guy is smoking if he thinks any team would take Mauers contract AND give up a prospect!!!
    Were the reasons I gave you not adequate? Especially with a team like Boston? The team that just unloaded a bunch of money in Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzalez? The team that is likely not going to pay David Ortiz $12 million or whatever next year. The team that has Jarrod Saltalamacchia (sp?) to catch the rest of the games that Mauer doesn't? The team that plays in a stadium that would likely produce a significant increase in Mauer's offensive production? 15-20 homers and 40 doubles would not be out of the question with that short right field and that Green Monster.

Do you really think that if Mauer were a free agent that the Red Sox wouldn't pay him $138 million over 6 years? Without that option, trading from prospect depth isn't a huge extra burden.

The Red Sox are not the Twins. The expectation there is to win the World Series each year.

Blog Entries
    By the way, it is something like $57 million dumped by the Red Sox between Gonzalez, Crawford, and Beckett for the next 2 years, and $41+ million for Gonzalez and Crawford for the next 5 or six years.

Adding $23 million would still allow them to spend mightily.

The Sawks will trade for Mauer if the Twins pick up 50 mil of hi salary. Your justification is that they will do a insane Hershal Walker deal because they have resources. Shoot your trade proposal via twittet to any nonTwins homer and let me know when they stop laughing.

Mauers contract is a major albatross going forward eventhough he earned his salary this year.

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    I don't know why anyone even talks about Mauer's trade value.

Mauer has to have more value in Minnesota than he could possibly have in any other market. There is just no way to underestimate the value of a clean-cut player who signed with his hometown team AND may possibly have a HOF career. If he does end up in the HOF, the long-term value of that to the franchise should not be overlooked. He simply couldn't have the same impact in another city by changing in the midst of his career.

To me, when you are talking about Mauer and the Minnesota Twins, you are talking about a long-term strategy from both sides to maximize his value not only during his playing days but after he has retired as well.

Given that I see Mauer as significantly more valuable in Minnesota than anywhere else, I can't see ANY team willing to pay enough to give the Twins a return.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yikes.

Im smoking what's he's smoking. I don't know about 4 prospects but the contract wouldn't be a deal breaker for some teams. I assume... I've only negotiated with baseball GM's in my past life.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    By the way, it is something like $57 million dumped by the Red Sox between Gonzalez, Crawford, and Beckett for the next 2 years, and $41+ million for Gonzalez and Crawford for the next 5 or six years.

The Red Sox are more likely to shop for players in their fifth or sixth year that the small market teams can't afford.. They will hope for better success than they did with Gonzales.
    A contract like Mauer's would only make sense if was the final piece to a championship. If Mauer wanted to waive a no trade contract it would not be to a team in Boston's current situation.
    Last edited by old nurse; 09-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    out of the list of tradeable players (eliminating mauer, Hicks, Arcia, Sano, etc...).

Willingham - I mentioned trading him straight up for James Shields. Seems like a lateral vet for vet, strength/weakness trade. It would be great to trade Willingham for a top pitching prospect but teams are hoarding prospects now more than ever.

Perkins - he's actually become really good but I'm not sure this team can trade him now. It wasn't that long ago that this team had nothing in the bullpen.

Revere - I think GM's are going to view him as a .300 hitter that can't walk or hit for power. Might as well keep him if you're not getting something really good back.

Span - he's a really good centerfielder but he's missed to many games to have a lot of value right now. The Twins are better off keeping him until the deadline or longer and for once have a good OF defense.

Burton - might get you an intriguing lower level prospect (think about a guy like Goodrum) but there isn't much in the pen right now.

Morneau - you might be able to get an intriguing lower level prospect (like Goodrum) if you picked up half of the salary. You definitely aren't getting much at the MLB level.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Guys, you're CLEARLY feeding a troll.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Guys, you're CLEARLY feeding a troll.
    I think they guy really thinks there are Twins players that would net mutiple B prospects. I think he was trying to find people that think like him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post

The Red Sox are more likely to shop for players in their fifth or sixth year that the small market teams can't afford.. They will hope for better success than they did with Gonzales.
    A contract like Mauer's would only make sense if was the final piece to a championship. If Mauer wanted to waive a no trade contract it would not be to a team in Boston's current situation.
    Mauer waiving the clause has nothing to do with the the question. I view it as moderately insane to think that Boston wouldn't make such a trade. The comparables in my scenario are Hendriks, Herrmann, Goodrum, and Boyd or Harrison or someone. That Boston would more likely pursue other options isn't the point either (that pursuit has most to do with the fact that Twins will never trade Mauer). Boston has dumped a BUNCH of money and Mauer's contract would be only about 1/3 of the amount that they will want to spend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12