Blog Entries

Article: Mauer sidelined with back spasms

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Batting Title

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is the first time I can remember him having back spasms/issues. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    This is the first time I can remember him having back spasms/issues. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
    Back surgery is why he was a month late to start the season in 2009.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought that was neck?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer said last night that this injury was the first time he's experienced back spasms, which is why he was so uncertain for today's game.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    According to wiki (and this actually jives with my memory so I didn't look farther), Mauer was diagnosed with an inflammation of the sacroiliac joint in March 2009. As we all recall, he was out until early May and then went on to have his MVP season.

Sacroiliac joints are in the lower back. (both sides of spine)
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 09-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    According to wiki (and this actually jives with my memory so I didn't look farther), Mauer was diagnosed with an inflammation of the sacroiliac joint in March 2009. As we all recall, he was out until early May and then went on to have his MVP season.

Sacroiliac joint is lower back.
    He also had surgery earlier that offseason to remove a kidney stone.

I'd forgotten about the kidney stone problem, Boom Boom.

For nokomismod, I think the neck problem was Morneau.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've had back spasms (and side spasms). You can't play through them. Heating pads take at least 36 hours to work. Joe, you have my sympathy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tonight my son called and said, "Mom, you're still watching the Twins?" I replied, "Yes, I ALWAYS watch the Twins. I'm a Twin's fan." But, with no Joe it will be even harder to watch. I miss the days when people bitched about losing three straight in the playoffs to the Yankees.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,298 Times in 524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    I miss the days when people bitched about losing three straight in the playoffs to the Yankees.
    Ah, those were the days.

*daydream*
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am ambivalent about this topic. He can't really be blamed for what the young players are lacking when they get to the big leagues. He can't really be blamed for the horrendous pitching staff. But, we do have some really good players. They just rarely all seem to be able to put it together in the same game. Is that Gardy's fault? I'm not there day in and day out. So, I'm unsure....One thing I am sure of is that it absolutely sucks to be in last place. If hiring a new manager will bring us a respectable team again, then do it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    I am ambivalent about this topic. He can't really be blamed for what the young players are lacking when they get to the big leagues. He can't really be blamed for the horrendous pitching staff. But, we do have some really good players. They just rarely all seem to be able to put it together in the same game. Is that Gardy's fault? I'm not there day in and day out. So, I'm unsure....One thing I am sure of is that it absolutely sucks to be in last place. If hiring a new manager will bring us a respectable team again, then do it.

Of course. They need to hold Gardenhire accountable as they should have at least six years ago. He's incompetent, stupid, and has been at the helm for two consecutive near-100 loss seasons. No players will play for him. I don't know how he got the job in the first place. There's not an organization on earth that would keep someone this awful on the job. I think he's created a climate of fear with the connivance of the media to treat him as if he's Sparky Anderson or something, some great guy who's also a winner. In actuality, he's a louse, and a loser. Minnesota nice be damned. He's a drag on this team and he needs a swift kick in the rear.

Holy (thread) Hijack!

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Cut it out with the thread hijacking.

Also, I get that Mauer is the focal point of the team and especially the team's media, and there's nothing wrong with reporting this. But it's kind of a non-story. If it were Doumit, I doubt it would have even been brought up. Chances are he takes a couple days off; he's been busy this year, and he's been catching steadily lately.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Of course. They need to hold Gardenhire accountable as they should have at least six years ago. He's incompetent, stupid, and has been at the helm for two consecutive near-100 loss seasons. No players will play for him. I don't know how he got the job in the first place. There's not an organization on earth that would keep someone this awful on the job. I think he's created a climate of fear with the connivance of the media to treat him as if he's Sparky Anderson or something, some great guy who's also a winner. In actuality, he's a louse, and a loser. Minnesota nice be damned. He's a drag on this team and he needs a swift kick in the rear.
    You shouldn't equivocate so much. Say what you really think.

Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Cut it out with the thread hijacking.

Also, I get that Mauer is the focal point of the team and especially the team's media, and there's nothing wrong with reporting this. But it's kind of a non-story. If it were Doumit, I doubt it would have even been brought up. Chances are he takes a couple days off; he's been busy this year, and he's been catching steadily lately.

Has he been catching more steadily recently? I haven't really kept track. But if he has, the back spasms would seem to be a red flag -- especially when Terry Ryan says he could see him catching 100 games/season again sometime in the future.
    http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...-straight-game

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    A 6'5 230lb professional baseball player with back spasms? Stop the presses! What's next Niklas Backstrom with a sore groin? Adrian Peterson with a Charley Horse!

Athletes these days, pffft!

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    A 6'5 230lb professional baseball player with back spasms? Stop the presses! What's next Niklas Backstrom with a sore groin? Adrian Peterson with a Charley Horse!

Athletes these days, pffft!
    A Canadian with Stitches?