Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Very interested in what they decide to do with Pinto. They'll have to make a decision quick because once the World Series is done, he can become a free agent, unless the Twins put him on the 40 man roster.
    Wonder how close the decision was to calling up Pinto instead of Hermann. Could have gotten a free look at him before the offseason.

Got a feeling that MN views Pinto the same way they did Yangercis Solarte & will let him go (very much because they wont protect 5 C's & is there any shot they DFA Butera....no IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    No, Ryan has never traded a top prospect for anyone. That is one reason, imo, why they did not win the series in the early 2000s.
    Dont want JD Durbin and/or Michael Restovich to 'blow up' in another organization

Only real prospect dealt woulda been Bobby Kielty & he was a solid MLB player by then, not prospect

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very interested in what they decide to do with Pinto. They'll have to make a decision quick because once the World Series is done, he can become a free agent, unless the Twins put him on the 40 man roster.
    At this point I'd rather see them have Pinto than Butera on the 40-man (now that Herrmann is also on the 40-man), but...
    Even if they re-sign him as a FA, if they do not put him on the 40-man, he would be subject to the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft (since he did not play higher than high A) and he will probably be a goner then (and the team that drafts him does not have to put him in their 40 man roster, per the rules of the minor league part of the Rule 5 draft).
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Although Adam Walker didn't hit for average in regular season. He did have highest average in Appy League during playoffs (6 games) on way to Appy Championship. He also led everyone in playoffs in SLG%; OPS; SB's ; HRs; Hits; and second in RBI's and OB%. He was also 2ndamongst 2012 Draftees in HRs (17 total) this short season / All levels (Rookie thru AA). My question is not - Does he belong in this category now? but, Do you see him as a potential candidate for this category in the near future?

Was the top Friday night hitter in entire country when in college and he seems to thrive in big moments. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/05/stats-for-top-200-college-hitters-on-friday-nights/

Your thoughts on prospect potential.................. Loved watching him in ETown this season. Will he move up to (Low A) being on 20 yrs old? There are alot of top prospects with swing and miss make-up, but seem to be productive in other ways. He seems like that kind of kid.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 09-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Although Adam Walker didn't hit for average in regular season. He did have highest average in Appy League during playoffs (6 games) on way to Appy Championship. He also led everyone in playoffs in SLG%; OPS; SB's ; HRs; Hits; and second in RBI's and OB%. He was also 2ndamongst 2012 Draftees in HRs (17 total) this short season / All levels (Rookie thru AA). My question is not - Does he belong in this category now? but, Do you see him as a potential candidate for this category in the near future?

Was the top Friday night hitter in entire country when in college and he seems to thrive in big moments. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/05/stats-for-top-200-college-hitters-on-friday-nights/

Your thoughts on prospect potential.................. Loved watching him in ETown this season. Will he move up to (Low A) being on 20 yrs old? There are alot of top prospects with swing and miss make-up, but seem to be productive in other ways. He seems like that kind of kid.
    Personally love Walker & his potential.
    Finally a true power hitter that was drafted by this organization. Hopefully they dont get him to cut down on his swing & hit it the other way.
    See him in Beloit next yr along with Keplar/Buxton.....all things considered, if he plays well, he should be the first promoted to Ft Myers due to being the oldest (that is, is he's not blocked by a Steve Liddle type )

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos - If Pinto is not put on the 40 man roster and signs with the Twins as a min. lg. free agent, he's eligible for the major league Rule 5 draft as well. He did end the year in New Britain, so he has played above A ball.

lightfoot - Adam Walker has a chance to be very good. I didn't include playoff numbers, as not everyone plays in them and it's a small sample. I agree with him doing well. I don't know what the Friday night stat means. He certainly hit a big HR for the E-Twins in that championship-deciding game. He'll certainly be a candidate for this category in the future... the key will be putting the ball in play. When he makes contact, good things happen.

Thrylos - If Pinto is not put on the 40 man roster and signs with the Twins as a min. lg. free agent, he's eligible for the major league Rule 5 draft as well. He did end the year in New Britain, so he has played above A ball.

lightfoot - Adam Walker has a chance to be very good. I didn't include playoff numbers, as not everyone plays in them and it's a small sample. I agree with him doing well. I don't know what the Friday night stat means. He certainly hit a big HR for the E-Twins in that championship-deciding game. He'll certainly be a candidate for this category in the future... the key will be putting the ball in play. When he makes contact, good things happen.
    I was attending an Etown game and spoke to a Twins scout that said he thought that Walker had the best "Leverage in his swing" in the twins system including Sano. That Walker may be the one guy in the system who can hit the ball further then Sano on a given swing. He also mentioned Sano was much more consistent with his swing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Friay Night Statistical Meaning

The Friday Night stat was a statistic given by Baseball America on the guys who had the best batting averages against Friday night starters (the #1 starter for most college teams in weekend series). Walker hit over .400 against those Friday starters last season. He seems like he has that clutch gene. That was my only point..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12