Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Does De Vries Deserve 2013 Rotation Spot?

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,438
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241

    Does De Vries Deserve 2013 Rotation Spot?

    So, with De Vries season over, the natural question is should a spot in the 2013 rotation be set aside for him? Or should he be competing for a spot in spring training if there is one available? Handing one to him might allow Twins to spend more on one of their other spots. But there's a lot of free agent tslent, too. His stats are much better than I thought they'd be:

    17G (1/2 a season), 4.11 ERA, 87.2 IP, 6 K/9, 1.8 BB/9, 1.6 HR/9 (easily his biggest problem) & 9 H/9. (Anyone know his FIP?)

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,074
    Like
    1,806
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    ERA/FIP/xFIP/Sierra
    4.11 4.90 4.73 4.48
    BABIP: .258

    They should view him as a competitor for a spot in the rotation, no scholarship. If the opportunity arises to add outside talent to the rotation, they can't let a pitcher like DeVries stand in the way of acquiring them.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,258
    Like
    277
    Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    It is a good question. Another question would be if teams have really figured him out yet, or are there still questions. He's clearly busted his tail off to get to the show, but I really think that he needs some more time to determine if those numbers are real yet. He's done well, and should be proud of his season, but I'd rather have him have to earn that spot rather than have it handed to him. I don't really think that his salary, or lack of a higher paid vet, will have any effect on his battle for a rotation spot. If anything, he's going to be competing against a few other guys that are going to also be making close to the league minimum rather than a higher priced vet.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,755
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    There is that phrase... "A good problem to have". I hope DeVries, Deduno, Diamond, Hendriks, Gibson and maybe a couple of others get classified as good problems to have for us in 2013.

    I hope that along with those potential good problems to have. I'd like a couple of new pitchers that we pick up and are really really counting on.

  5. #5
    believe he will start in AAA next year with Gibson ( who'll be the first callup if its past May15) & be 2nd in command there.
    MN will give Deduno the 5th spot next spring but I have no doubt he wont be able to keep up his success & that will be where we see Gibson.
    Hendrix will get the 4th spot but he is definately on a short leash with the organization (personally think he may be dealt this offseason).

    Very solid season for Cole.
    Wonder how much his AFL success helped him

  6. #6
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,500
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I don't think he's done enough to be given a rotation. I do think he's done enough to stay on the 40 man roster and go to big league spring training (For the first time!) with an opportunity to make the starting rotation or be a long reliever. Also, he has only used one option, so he can also go to Rochester and be the #6 or #7 starter at the beginning of the season. EVery team needs those guys too.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I don't think he's done enough to be given a rotation. I do think he's done enough to stay on the 40 man roster and go to big league spring training (For the first time!) with an opportunity to make the starting rotation or be a long reliever. Also, he has only used one option, so he can also go to Rochester and be the #6 or #7 starter at the beginning of the season. EVery team needs those guys too.
    At least in AAA next year, he will have a salary of 72K....not as good as MLB's 500K, but better than he's ever made.
    He'll be a guy that will defiantely make some starts next year based on what he did this year....just not make the team outta STraining.
    Solid success story....woulda liked him to get his last 3/4starts, but oh well

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Posts
    777
    Like
    18
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    ERA/FIP/xFIP/Sierra
    4.11 4.90 4.73 4.48
    BABIP: .258

    They should view him as a competitor for a spot in the rotation, no scholarship. If the opportunity arises to add outside talent to the rotation, they can't let a pitcher like DeVries stand in the way of acquiring them.
    They had Gardie on the radio, and asked him if De Vries deserved a spot in the starting lineup next year, and that's pretty much what he said.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,314
    Like
    1,300
    Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    As far as I'm concerned, Diamond is the only starting pitcher who has earned a roster spot for next season. The other 4 spots are open to competition and they need to bring in some outside help. (I'm still only expecting Ryan to bring in one innings eater type in the $8-10 million range and 1 "flier" like Baker as F.A.

    There's nothing I'd like more than for the Twins to have 6 or 7 starting pitchers ready for the rotation at the end of ST. I don't think that's going to happen but I'd love to see it.

  10. #10
    We are so ****ing loaded at 5th starter.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Deserve a spot? No. Deserve a chance to earn a spot, or be in AAA ready to be called up? Yes. I hope guys like him are 5-8th starters for this team in the future, not top 3....But I agree, I expect Ryan to sign a middling guy, and a cheap flyer guy. Then I expect Devries to be in the rotation.
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I think the Twins should hold two spots open for De Vries, Hendriks, Deduno, Gibson, etc.

    Diamond automatically gets a spot.

    That means the front office should pick up two non-horrible pitchers this offseason. Whether they come via free agency or trades, I do not care.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,171
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Yeah. 40-man roster and ST invite.

    Let me put it this way: He deserves a spot more than Blackburn does
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It is a good question. Another question would be if teams have really figured him out yet, or are there still questions. He's clearly busted his tail off to get to the show, but I really think that he needs some more time to determine if those numbers are real yet. He's done well, and should be proud of his season, but I'd rather have him have to earn that spot rather than have it handed to him. I don't really think that his salary, or lack of a higher paid vet, will have any effect on his battle for a rotation spot. If anything, he's going to be competing against a few other guys that are going to also be making close to the league minimum rather than a higher priced vet.
    Totally agree with this. Also agree with Thrylos's point that he has earned a spot more than Blackburn has this year.

  15. #15
    "Yeah. 40-man roster and ST invite."

    Let me put it this way: He deserves a spot more than Blackburn does"

    With Blackburn's confidence issues, I'd almost guess that Blackburn would agree with you.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    123
    Like
    1
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think the Twins should hold two spots open for De Vries, Hendriks, Deduno, Gibson, etc.

    Diamond automatically gets a spot.

    That means the front office should pick up two non-horrible pitchers this offseason. Whether they come via free agency or trades, I do not care.
    If the Twins hope to be at all competitive, this is the 100% correct answer.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    137
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    We are so ****ing loaded at 5th starter.
    You know what they say; trade from organizational strength. Anyone need a good AAAA pitcher?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    794
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    De Vries could easily be the 5th starter or long relief. I do not feel he will last, but is a good story at this time. I think Hendriks should be sent back to Rochester until his head clears(but still do not know if he has major league stuff). That leaves Diamond, Deduno, Hopefully a couple of FA's and one other spot between 3 to 4 pitchers. I do not think outside of Swarzak anyone on this staff could fill the long relief spot like De Vries

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,990
    Like
    4
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    66
    DeVries and Deduno deserve consideration for the 5th spot, but I would like to see Anthony Swarzak go away as a filler/add-in in some trade involving Morneau, so DeVries would be the natural choice to take over as LR/spot starter.

  20. #20
    De Vries has been very good. He's earned a crack, but I hope he isn't in the rotation. We need to be more formidable than that.

    But, I have confidence that if we lose a starter next year, which will undoubtedly happen, De Vries could step in and do the job...at least to the point where the Twins have a chance when he pitches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.