Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Is Everyone So Worried About Willingham In Right Field?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Seth,

Span was a very good center fielder for 66 games before he got hurt and Ben Revere was great for 117 games. However, Span in recent years has been average and now he plays scared because of his concusssion. You can’t look at just errors because that's a misleading statistic. You believe the best outfielders should always go in left field. No, sorry typically the weakest defensive outfielders go to left field. This is why Gardenhire wanted Delmon Young out there. We should let Plouffe play in the outfield as often as possible? Have you lost your mind or just read too much Jim Souhan. Plouffe looked completely lost in the outfield last year and is maybe a DH at best. I hope Ben Revere has a huge year so the entire blogging community can eat their words. Ben Revere is a better player than Denard Span right now and he is still learning on the fly.
    What???? The weakest defensive OF goes to right where the ball is hit much less. The Young to left stuff had more to do with the fact that Gardy didn't feel it was worth upsetting the clubhouse.

Plouffe looked lost everywhere (though in his defense, he hasn't played much OF in the past), and I'm not even ready to call him a DH. He showed signs at the plate, but I'd like to see what he does before I'd annoint him any position. Outside of last year in AAA, his career minor league numbers don't look too promising.

Also, I'll be quite happy to eat my words concerning Revere if he breaks out... To me, he's a very good 4th OF, and he's shown no indication that this won't change. Hopefully you are right about him. I like the kid, but I don't see ML starter with him.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    John, you obviously have no understanding of how important it is for people to continuously find additional matters on which to second guess the Twins front office and field management. How can people demonstrate how much smarter they are than the people who actually make the decisions if we don't keep coming up with new "problems" to solve?

This is what made rube chat the joke it has become.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    the quirks of Target Field will affect everyone. It's not like Span has played a lot of RF there. Speed, athleticism have little or nothing to do with playing RF at Target Field which is the reason that I think it makes sense. I want Revere and Span covering the ground of LF and RF.

Agree! and Plouffe can replace Ben vs lefties. I have no problem with Willy in RF.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Span was a very good center fielder for 66 games before he got hurt and Ben Revere was great for 117 games. However, Span in recent years has been average and now he plays scared because of his concusssion. You canít look at just errors because that's a misleading statistic. You believe the best outfielders should always go in left field. No, sorry typically the weakest defensive outfielders go to left field. This is why Gardenhire wanted Delmon Young out there. We should let Plouffe play in the outfield as often as possible? Have you lost your mind or just read too much Jim Souhan. Plouffe looked completely lost in the outfield last year and is maybe a DH at best. I hope Ben Revere has a huge year so the entire blogging community can eat their words. Ben Revere is a better player than Denard Span right now and he is still learning on the fly.

Yeah Span is really playing scared....1st he did'nt even play enough last yr after the concussion to determine that and 2nd he's already run into a wall and diving all over the place this spring.... yep he's scared to death...Nothing you said so far makes sense.

Seth,

Span was a very good center fielder for 66 games before he got hurt and Ben Revere was great for 117 games. However, Span in recent years has been average and now he plays scared because of his concusssion. You canít look at just errors because that's a misleading statistic. You believe the best outfielders should always go in left field. No, sorry typically the weakest defensive outfielders go to left field. This is why Gardenhire wanted Delmon Young out there. We should let Plouffe play in the outfield as often as possible? Have you lost your mind or just read too much Jim Souhan. Plouffe looked completely lost in the outfield last year and is maybe a DH at best. I hope Ben Revere has a huge year so the entire blogging community can eat their words. Ben Revere is a better player than Denard Span right now and he is still learning on the fly.
    Why do you ever post?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do you ever post?
    Everyone has their own opinions and I am willing to bet that Fanatic Jack didn't mean to come off as aggressive as it read. He makes a point that I believe to be valid if the Twins were still playing in the dome.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haven't read anything since John's OP yet, but I agree with him. It is bizarro that people worry about this. LF at TF is significantly more difficult than RF and . . . these are major leaguers. Positional movement should not be a big deal, especially in this case.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish I wouldn't have read the whole thing, now. Fanatic Jack are you the composite of every Star Tribune commenter in the history of Twins baseball? I am serious. Are you a computer program that took all of those comments and is now outputting those at random?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12