Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauer Article

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.
    I believe in being a student of good writing. Our local writers could learn some basic lessons on sports journalism from Mr. Keown. This article is balanced in perspective, meticulously sourced, and elegantly written. So often our local writers approach a deadline like Delmon Young attacks the strike zone. I like Jim, Joe, and Pat. Lavelle may be the best because his writing still reveals a love for the game. But they all could learn something more about working the whole count, a la Mauer, before just swinging at the first pitch. Sometimes they connect, but they are not elite writers. Keown is to writing what Mauer is to catching, fielding, hitting. You have to work at the craft. I would say that Keown exposed our local scribes' 2011 attacks on Mauer as being hasty and ill-timed. Now they look a little ridiculous for swinging at a pitch out of the strike zone.

Danny B gave me my moniker, but he too has turned into a latter-day version of a Reusse Rant (by the way, has anyone else noticed how Patrick has softened over the years? He's getting back on his game). Barreiro needs to find the love of sports, once again, and turn back the page to his award-winning Strib days.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.
    I believe in being a student of good writing. Our local writers could learn some basic lessons on sports journalism from Mr. Keown. This article is balanced in perspective, meticulously sourced, and elegantly written. So often our local writers approach a deadline like Delmon Young attacks the strike zone. I like Jim, Joe, and Pat. Lavelle may be the best because his writing still reveals a love for the game. But they all could learn something more about working the whole count, a la Mauer, before just swinging at the first pitch. Sometimes they connect, but they are not elite writers. Keown is to writing what Mauer is to catching, fielding, hitting. You have to work at the craft. I would say that Keown exposed our local scribes' 2011 attacks on Mauer as being hasty and ill-timed. Now they look a little ridiculous for swinging at a pitch out of the strike zone.

Danny B gave me my moniker, but he too has turned into a latter-day version of a Reusse Rant (by the way, has anyone else noticed how Patrick has softened over the years? He's getting back on his game). Barreiro needs to find the love of sports, once again, and turn back the page to his award-winning Strib days.
    And you sir, should get kudos for a good post on this great article.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the link to this article. A great read. I met him once at spring training. He talked to everyone, old, young, handicapped. Patient, accomodating, polite...class act. I am so pleased that he has rebounded this season and silenced the many doubters. I wish him many more years of success!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, the Guitar Hero anecdote sums it all up. The guy is a Natural, probably at everything. He is the type that could "roll out of bed and hit .300." But, he doesn't do that. Clearly, he works his butt off to get even better than that. There is a reason why he leads the league in OBP and might win another batting title (would that really surprise anyone?). I think people get frustrated when "The Natural" scuffles, but no one is perfect. For me, Mauer is a having a Hall of Fame career and I love to watch him play. I can understand day to day frustration with Mauer, but not recognizing his greatness is just ignorance to me.

Also, there is a reason certain writers go "national" and others remain "local." Souhan would rather perfect his Rick Reilly-rip-off routine than actually learn something or write anything that is worth reading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12